Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Daytime Running Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Daytime Running Light Help

Anybody know how to make the DRL's stay in bright mode anytime they are on?
Old 04-23-2005, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Y????
Old 04-23-2005, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Personal preference.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:48 AM

Play with the wires behind the radio, it has something to do with them!
Old 04-24-2005, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well think about it like this. Your DRL's have two filament's in it one for running light's another which is brighter for your DRL's and turnsignal. You might could try to just tie the wire's going to the running light filament to the DRL's and see what happen's That way when your headlight's come on and the running light's are supposed to come on the DRL's would be coming on. I don't know if it will work but it's worth a shot.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty familiar with the logic circuits for those lights, what exactly are you wanting to do?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I'm pretty familiar with the logic circuits for those lights, what exactly are you wanting to do?
I just want my DRL's to stay in bright mode all the time, and I still want them to act as turn signals. I really don't know anything about the wiring of the car at all.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

They already do that.

When do yours NOT use the brighter filament?
Old 04-24-2005, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

They already do that.

When do yours NOT use the brighter filament?
When my headlights are on.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

But at night they *seem* brighter anyways. Why tinker with it?
Old 04-24-2005, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Same answer as above. It's just my personal preference.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

i think what hes tryin to do is....our cars DRL's are brighter when the headlights arent on....soon as you turn your headlamps on, they dim down a bit...he wants to prevent them from dimming out.

i personally dont think you should try and mess with something like that especially if you arent up to par in the electrical field...might run into some serious problems screwing around with it...but goodluck if you do it anyway.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, when the lights are off, the DRL lights up the bright filament to be seen during the day. If they stayed that bright at night, it would be breaking the law. There are restrictions on how bright the turn signals can be. So that's why the factory did that.

Now, in your case, the brightness would be no big deal legally. The problem is this, at night you need the front blinker to be on to be seen in the front. When you signal, the dim filiment stays on while the bright filament blinks on and off. If you replaced the dual filament bulb with a single, bright one and combined the wires, it would stay bright at night, but you would lose the blinking. Won't pass inspection.

Even using relays and logic cicuits, there's no way I can think of to get the bright light to work at night and still maintain the blink ability. Sorry.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

OK, when the lights are off, the DRL lights up the bright filament to be seen during the day. If they stayed that bright at night, it would be breaking the law. There are restrictions on how bright the turn signals can be. So that's why the factory did that.

Now, in your case, the brightness would be no big deal legally. The problem is this, at night you need the front blinker to be on to be seen in the front. When you signal, the dim filiment stays on while the bright filament blinks on and off. If you replaced the dual filament bulb with a single, bright one and combined the wires, it would stay bright at night, but you would lose the blinking. Won't pass inspection.

Even using relays and logic cicuits, there's no way I can think of to get the bright light to work at night and still maintain the blink ability. Sorry.
Can I reverse wires to the filaments to where the lights dim during daytime operation and bright during nighttime operation (headlights on)? After that is done, maybe tap a line that makes it think the headlights are always on when the car starts?
Old 04-24-2005, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dallas
Personal preference.
To each his own i guess.

Personally I hate the look of the DRL's, which is why mine are disabled, along with the automatic lights.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Payne01SS
To each his own i guess.

Personally I hate the look of the DRL's, which is why mine are disabled, along with the automatic lights.
Fortunately, I don't have the automatic headlights.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can I reverse wires to the filaments to where the lights dim during daytime operation and bright during nighttime operation (headlights on)? After that is done, maybe tap a line that makes it think the headlights are always on when the car starts?
If you did that, the blinkers would be flashing the dim filament and they would not be seen over the brighter running lights. So no turn signals in front, no inspection.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Fortunately, I don't have the automatic headlights.
Actually, you do. The TA's use the same light box the camaro's use. The only difference is that the camaros have the light sensor in the dash. The US TA'a don't have the light sensors and the wires that would normally go to it is looped together.

On my TA, I cut the light sensor wires and stuck the light sensor in the dash. Now I have working auto headlights. They pop up at night and turn off in the day. I had the forthought to wire a toggle to it as well as to the DRL circuit. I turned them both off in the end.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

If you did that, the blinkers would be flashing the dim filament and they would not be seen over the brighter running lights. So no turn signals in front, no inspection.
Wouldn't it still appear like a normal turn signal just starting from bright instead of dim?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Actually, you do. The TA's use the same light box the camaro's use. The only difference is that the camaros have the light sensor in the dash. The US TA'a don't have the light sensors and the wires that would normally go to it is looped together.

On my TA, I cut the light sensor wires and stuck the light sensor in the dash. Now I have working auto headlights. They pop up at night and turn off in the day. I had the forthought to wire a toggle to it as well as to the DRL circuit. I turned them both off in the end.
Hmm, that's pretty interesting.