Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Appearance & Detailing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Appearance & Detailing
Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by
Professional Car Care

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now
 
Turo's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 23
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 3,470
Send a message via AIM to Turo
Default How much would it cost to completely change the color of an f-body?

Lets say I wanted to change my car's color from pewter to black, what would be a fair price for a job like this? I'd like the car to look like it was painted from the factory. I'm just looking for a ballpark figure from anyone who has done it (or anyone who knows how much it would cost).
__________________
2001 Z28 (slow)
Turo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 53
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Aston, PA
Posts: 2,809
Send a message via AIM to White.Lightning
Default

A lot of money. To COMPLETELY repaint the car, the car would have to be COMPLETELY disassembled (motor pulled, some interior pieces, windows, weatherstrip, etc), prepped, painted, and COMPLETELY reassembled. It would probably take 2 weeks in a body shop and run approximately $3-4k depending on the quality of paint being used. Spies hecker and other high end paints cost a lot of money. The majority of the cost is the labor involved in disassembling and reassembling the car. Hope this helps.

Andy
__________________

1998 T/A Mods/Pics Build Thread
White.Lightning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
11 Second Club
2000 Chevrolet Camaro
 
SSNISTR's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 10
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0fbody0
A lot of money. To COMPLETELY repaint the car, the car would have to be COMPLETELY disassembled (motor pulled, some interior pieces, windows, weatherstrip, etc), prepped, painted, and COMPLETELY reassembled. It would probably take 2 weeks in a body shop and run approximately $3-4k depending on the quality of paint being used. Spies hecker and other high end paints cost a lot of money. The majority of the cost is the labor involved in disassembling and reassembling the car. Hope this helps.

Andy

At a GOOD shop, with the right paint, including jams, under the hood...WAY more then 3-4 grand....more like 6-8K.
SSNISTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 53
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Aston, PA
Posts: 2,809
Send a message via AIM to White.Lightning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluCamSS
At a GOOD shop, with the right paint, including jams, under the hood...WAY more then 3-4 grand....more like 6-8K.
I'm not disagreeing but I was just giving him a ballpark. If he wanted to, he could drop $15k on a professional concours paint job. The $3-4k I stated above is probably the minimum a shop will do a full dip for. It's a lot of labor.

Andy
__________________

1998 T/A Mods/Pics Build Thread
White.Lightning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #5
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now
 
Turo's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 23
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 3,470
Send a message via AIM to Turo
Default

I figured as much, thanks for the info guys.
__________________
2001 Z28 (slow)
Turo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 93
Default

What about if you...did the disassembly yourself; suppose that the car was already stripped because of an overhaul?
__________________
2000 Camaro Z28 A4 Blue Metallic T-tops Blk Leather
dreammmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
02WS6Bird's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 3,378
Send a message via AIM to 02WS6Bird
Default

What about- WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU DO THAT! lol if you want black trade it in or buy one- pewter is an amazing color Keep It
__________________
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y10.../02ws623ub.jpg
Professional Detailer PM for pricing and appointment
AIM: Drama6914
SLP Guy Fan Club- Cubbie Car extraordinare
02WS6Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:31 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
KrazyDan's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: San Diego/Schertz,Texas
Posts: 1,416
Default

earl shieb will do it for $199. minus the disassemble. they will also paint your windows and exhaust tips for free.........
__________________
2000 Trans Am WS6 M6
Spohn SFC, !CAGS, SLP Lid, Kooks Headers, Kooks catted Y, GMMG Catback, Nitto 555
338RWHP/351RWTQ SAE Corrected(mustang dyno)
KrazyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:07 PM   #9
11 Second Club
2000 Chevrolet Camaro
 
SSNISTR's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 10
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyDan
they will also paint your windows and exhaust tips for free.........

SSNISTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 AM   #10
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now
 
Compstall's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 607
Send a message via AIM to Compstall Send a message via MSN to Compstall
Default

Maaco quoted me ~$1,500, that includes the door jams, under the hood, etc.
__________________
'11 Kona Blue Mustang GT
'94 Z28 M6, cam n' stuff SOLD!!
'05 Yukon XL, 3/4-Ton 6.0L Gas Sucker SOLD
A couple Jeeps, and a....
'03 Kawasaki Z1000 w/ a little N20
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:37 AM   #11
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now
 
Turo's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 23
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 3,470
Send a message via AIM to Turo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall
Maaco quoted me ~$1,500, that includes the door jams, under the hood, etc.
From what I've seen them do around here, they don't exactly do the highest quality work.
__________________
2001 Z28 (slow)
Turo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:46 AM   #12
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now
 
LS1UltraZ's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo
From what I've seen them do around here, they don't exactly do the highest quality work.
Maaco

If you go to good shop, they can shoot pretty well around your engine bay, especially since you want black, its too easy... the shadows that the motor and accessories cast make it much harder to see inconsistencies under the hood. Getting jams done are a must, otherwise your car looks cheap. I had a complete color change from NBM to this pepper gray metallic, with some custom work on the hood, and it ran me about 3,500 for the total job. This is with high-end Sikkens paint. Get prices and most importantly look at their products. Good luck, its like getting a whole new car if its done right
__________________
Our limit for signature picture size is 500w x 150h pixels.

Your signature picture is too large.

Please reduce it or choose a different signature picture.

Pepper Gray Metallic 1999 Camaro
410 Stroker, Stg3 LS6 Heads, Custom Cam, Kooks 1 7/8's, SLP D/D, etc etc. 200 Shot on demand
2003 Yamaha YZF-R6 Just a 'lil bit...
LS1UltraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #13
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now
 
Ling_650vette's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 3,085
Send a message via AIM to Ling_650vette Send a message via Yahoo to Ling_650vette
Default

Some of the Maaco paint jobs around here look like they have been done by pre-schoolers w/ water colors. Im w/ UltraZ, being you want it from pewter to black engine bay shouldnt be too hard. The jambs and rear hatch are going to be the butt kicker. I agree w/ everyone else, 3-5k should get you a "good" paintjob w/ that being doubled for a really good job.
Ling_650vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:15 AM   #14
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now
 
Turo's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 23
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 3,470
Send a message via AIM to Turo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1UltraZ
Maaco

If you go to good shop, they can shoot pretty well around your engine bay, especially since you want black, its too easy... the shadows that the motor and accessories cast make it much harder to see inconsistencies under the hood. Getting jams done are a must, otherwise your car looks cheap. I had a complete color change from NBM to this pepper gray metallic, with some custom work on the hood, and it ran me about 3,500 for the total job. This is with high-end Sikkens paint. Get prices and most importantly look at their products. Good luck, its like getting a whole new car if its done right
Wow, that's a lot better price than I imagined, good stuff. Thanks for all the info guys, I'm not even sure if I want to change the color, some days I love it and other days it looks a bit 'plain'. I just wanted to have an idea for the future, in case I convince myself.
__________________
2001 Z28 (slow)
Turo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:58 AM   #15
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
ArcticZ28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 5,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo
Wow, that's a lot better price than I imagined, good stuff. Thanks for all the info guys, I'm not even sure if I want to change the color, some days I love it and other days it looks a bit 'plain'. I just wanted to have an idea for the future, in case I convince myself.
It's a bit plain b/c you NEED TO MOD IT!!!!!!! If you can't produce a receipt of a mind altering exterior mod (wheels, lowering, berger panel, grill, hood, spoiler) you have purchased within the next day I'm going to be pissed
__________________
ArcticZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #16
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now
 
Compstall's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 607
Send a message via AIM to Compstall Send a message via MSN to Compstall
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
Some of the Maaco paint jobs around here look like they have been done by pre-schoolers w/ water colors. Im w/ UltraZ, being you want it from pewter to black engine bay shouldnt be too hard. The jambs and rear hatch are going to be the butt kicker. I agree w/ everyone else, 3-5k should get you a "good" paintjob w/ that being doubled for a really good job.
Yep, it really depends on the guy behind the spray gun. The Maaco down here does a pretty good job.
__________________
'11 Kona Blue Mustang GT
'94 Z28 M6, cam n' stuff SOLD!!
'05 Yukon XL, 3/4-Ton 6.0L Gas Sucker SOLD
A couple Jeeps, and a....
'03 Kawasaki Z1000 w/ a little N20
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:05 PM   #17
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Xsta Z 28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 12,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall
Maaco quoted me ~$1,500, that includes the door jams, under the hood, etc.

. . . . . too funny . . .

My color change was $8,000. . . . you get exactly what you pay for.
__________________
My Personal Toy Collection:
1997 Arctic White Hendrick SS Hard Top LT4
2000 Bright Rally Red Camaro SS Convertible
2002 Electron Blue Metallic Berger SS T-Top Phase II
2004 Silver Birch Metallic Silverado 2500HD Ext. Cab Duramax 4X4
2006 Black Raven Cadillac STS-V
2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1 Camaro

My: Photo Album
Xsta Z 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:54 PM   #18
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now
 
LS1UltraZ's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 568
Default

go out and find someone who sprays cars well and make an effort to become best friends with him.... That will cut your cost at least a third
LS1UltraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #19
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now
 
stryker14's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 404
Send a message via AIM to stryker14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1UltraZ
go out and find someone who sprays cars well and make an effort to become best friends with him.... That will cut your cost at least a third
So is that why everyone wants to be my best friend? Damn i thought i was just cool to hang out with
stryker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #20
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now
 
Turo's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 23
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 3,470
Send a message via AIM to Turo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
It's a bit plain b/c you NEED TO MOD IT!!!!!!! If you can't produce a receipt of a mind altering exterior mod (wheels, lowering, berger panel, grill, hood, spoiler) you have purchased within the next day I'm going to be pissed
Haha, I know I know, I'm lacking in the appearance department. After I buy a rearend I promise, rims are next

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker14
So is that why everyone wants to be my best friend? Damn i thought i was just cool to hang out with
Damn stryker, I saw a car painted almost as badass as yours, that's actually what got me to thinking of a color change. Badass job!
__________________
2001 Z28 (slow)
Turo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
97, alexandria, c1500, car, change, chevy, color, compleat, cost, diego, fl, florida, hecker, paint, san, spies, tallahassee, va


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details