Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust Flames...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Exhaust Flames...?

Hey well at our local cruise night last night i saw a few nice cars.. well a ton of nice cars but a few throwing flames out of the exhaust, older cars (non-rice). I was wondering if there is a kit or how you do this? Anyone have it done and is it even safe? any downfalls? Think this is ricer esk? Please add your input. Thanks

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 07-16-2005, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flame...QQcmdZViewItem

How about this one?

Old 07-16-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a search, it just came up

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...53#post3203653

i would think you'd toast your back bumper unless your pipes stuck out pretty far

i dunno, i've got a borla and i know theres no way i'm drilling into those $$$$$ tips
Old 07-16-2005, 02:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok thanks. Wonder if it will do anyhting to my bumper. If anyone has done this to your f-body let me know and post up. Im only going to do it if its safe

Old 07-16-2005, 02:09 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Excerpted from: http://www.axdo.net/

Exhaust Flame Thrower

There are two popular methods for producing exhaust flames - we will explain them both here.

The means of producing flames for an exhaust flame thrower is the same for both methods. That is, a constant, pulsing spark ignites unburnt fuel at the end of the vehicle exhaust system. How you go about producing that spark and making sure you can produce flames is where the differences are found.

Exhaust Flame Thrower methods

Active Ignition
The Active Ignition method of producing an exhaust flamethrower involves installing and wiring the kit properly and the igniting the unburnt fuel. This kit works best on vehicles without a catalytic converter or with an older converter. Vehicles with large motors, power modifications etc. will produce good flames... often even with a catalytic converter. Using higher octane fuel can also make an impact on the size of the flame - as will altering the fuel mixture so that you are running rich. This kit will cause less wear and tear on the motor/exhaust system than the other method (method #2). The kit we sell from UltraGear is an Active Ignition kit.

PRO's: • Easier to install •does not cause damage to motor/exhaust system • does not affect how often you must change oil • very reliable when set up properly

CON's: • Catalytic converters MAY cause it to be less effective

Ignition Bypass
Ignition Bypass is a method of making flames by shutting down the vehicle ignition system which allows raw fuel to flow through the cylinders and exhaust system until it is ignited at the end of the tail pipe by the flamethrower kit. This method is used by many companies as it can produce nice flames with less tinkering...but, there can be problems. Because raw fuel is running down the sides of the cylinders, it can mix with your oil. You need to change oil much more often if you are using this system. Also, the fuel can damage rings etc. and ruin your catalytic converter over time. If you have a vehicle that you don't mind changing the oil often or maybe even doing repairs often - this kit is a good choice. Many people buy this type of kit for show type vehicles that they don't drive much.

On many vehicles (including almost every newer vehicle) the fuel pump will automatically shut off when the ignition is killed. In these situations, you will either have to switch to the Active Ignition method of producing flames or remove this safety feature from your vehicle (it may be difficult or impossible to remove). NOTE: WITH THESE KITS YOU WILL BE SHUTTING THE MOTOR OFF AND ON FOR EACH FLAME

PRO's: • Produces large flames when installed properly • produces reliable flames when installed properly

CON's: • Causes much more damage to the vehicle than the Active Ignition system • more complecated to install • may not work on newer vehicles • must shut engine off and on to operate

NOTE: Exhaust flame thrower kits are for off-road, show, or recreational use only. Not for street use. Professional installation recommended. BSeek LLC is not responsible for property damage or injuries caused by this kit.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

i thought that flame thrower kits were illegal to use on public streets anyways. they are for show only, and if you do it just dont get caught by the cops or explode yourself.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea id jsut use it for show. I want someone to chime in that has this done if there even is anyone. I want to make sure its safe to the body of my car(bumper), engine, and myself.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Default Vette Pics.....***

These are some pics my parents took, they are in the corvette club, so thought id post em......and yes they saw a brand new Z06, drivin by a GM engineer.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

omg haha whoops didnt mean to post it here sry my bad.....
Old 07-16-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

i was wondering what he was talking about but sweet *** corvettes, my parents are getting the new C6 Corvette today its gonna be freakin sweet.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

and superman 09 i imagine you would prolly be able to get some sort of exhaust sheilds or something to cover the bottom side of the bumper like metal sheets to protect that area.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Haha, well those vette pics are pretty sweet. Hopefully i can get something working here, jsut trying to wait for something with a similar set up to post. Thanks for the info so far.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

if u dont actually have the power on the car to do it wouldnt it be ricer-ish? i know if u have a turbo without cats usually ul get real flames from that.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I was thinking it may be a little ricer esk but i mainly see hot rods with this and really fast cars so im not sure. However I think it would be pretty cool and nothing on my car is ricer ish right now.

Old 07-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Launching!

I wouldn't worry so much about if its ricerish. Looking for opinions...good. But if you really like it, just do it. I've heard a lot of people make ricerish opinions before, but despite what people say...they always look at the cars with flames shooting out the back or neons etc. I think it would get a lot of attention at the shows.
I would definately make sure about not messing up the rear bumper though. Good luck with the project if you do it.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:11 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My car does it when I downshift after a hard run with NO ignition source.

Runs pig rich.

Also opinions are like ********.....everybody has one and they usually stink.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Haha yea. thanks for the comment. I think your right in that even ricerish stuff sitll gets a lot of attention. Yea really. why should i care what others think as long as i like my car? However i sort of do care what others think as it gets even more compliments and brings up my self esteem, lol. But i think as mean of rice, that throwing flames is way at the edge of it if at all considering more hot rods do it than rice rockets. Thanks for the inspiring words and as soon as i can get some more first hand info, i may pull this off. Any input on a good high quality kit that wont ruin anyhting or my nice borla exhaust? Id rather spend an extra $100 or so to get a nice reliable kit that isnt too rigged up. Also somehting to protect my bumper.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Man I hate how everything that was started by hot rod guys playing their the 32 Model A roadsters and such is now a ricer-trend. Do the flames, ricers didnt start it... all they can do is ripp off American muscle cars and make it look gay.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Haha agreed. Paging all owners of flame thrower kits...... if any????

Old 07-17-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

There was a guy that had his WS6 up for sale on here a while back that did it. Think his name was like PigTerdTA or something like that. I'll see if I can find the video I had of it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Flames...?