Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I replace the T-Top glass?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I replace the T-Top glass?

My dumb a$$ didn't lock the driver's side T-Top all the way, so the thing flew off while I was driving.

So I've still got the T-top, it just doesn't have any glass because the stuff shattered everywhere. Question is: Do many glass stores do replacements for stuff like that? Or any specialty stores? Or finally, does anyone have a driver's side T-top for a 98+ Camaro/Firebird?

Help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did the same **** you did

I was thinking along the same lines about replacing just the glass but everywhere that I could think to try only sold the complete t-top. I didnt try the dealer but I'm sure they have a sky high price.

I endedup settling on 175 shipped for a used pass. t-top from an '01 WS6 from m1a2drvr on eBay. He had multiple t-tops and Ive got other parts from him on eBay so you night check him out. I got quotes from 424 from dealer, 300 from a glass co. and and 175 shipped on Ebay.

I got my t-top last week and the thing looks identical, actually a little better than my old one.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

While your at it you could always try making "hard top" covers out of them, use maybe fiberglass and make them solid... If they came out good you could probally sell them on here. (I say both sides because I see alot of T-top sets on here for sale).
Old 07-18-2005, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

Just ordered a used T-Top for $100 shipped. Thank you LS1tech!
Old 07-18-2005, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

how the hell do you guys do this? I have NEVER locked any of my t-tops. They stay latched and dont fly out... guess i should start locking them but how do they come unlatched??
Old 07-18-2005, 09:16 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
how the hell do you guys do this? I have NEVER locked any of my t-tops. They stay latched and dont fly out... guess i should start locking them but how do they come unlatched??
I think they mean "latch" by saying "lock"
Old 07-18-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My latch is busted on mine so I'm going to replace the latch from some one that broke the glass on thiers. I hope I dont scrach the glass with the window cutter.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
I think they mean "latch" by saying "lock"
Maybe, but i talked to a guy online about this as well... he said he always latched them but he lost 2 of them so far.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

My g/f, at the time, didn't latch the passenger side on mine, needless to say. we got a divorce before we ever got married. I never lock mine, just make sure they latch nice. If anyone knows someone or does the "hard-top T-top", pm me or post it up, I'd be interested. I hate the T-Top, except when the girls wanna take it off and I say, "the car will take her tops off if you will too". Don't usally work but hey it's worth a shot.

BTW, I bought one at a local wrecking yard for $125, in OK shape.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

I want to know the answer to this, too. Has anyone ever replaced the glass with some fiberglass or paintable metal? I'm tired of T-tops - wish I never got them.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Me too but the girls like to take the top off so...it has pro's and cons, if you're single. But a "Hard Top" T-top would be great.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000_LS1
My g/f, at the time, didn't latch the passenger side on mine, needless to say. we got a divorce before we ever got married....
I have the exact same story from my thirdgen days. Dropped her off, and I must have been driving for 10-15 miles and not even realized. Jumped on the highway, and as soon as I hit about 90 I heard this terrible *WOOOOOOOOOOSH*.......
Old 07-19-2005, 02:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

LMAO, the EXACT same thing here...Dropped her off, she lived in the city, wasn't doing more than 30-40 MPH with her in there. On the way home I lived 50 miles away and was trying to "hurry up" on the freeway. I thought the wind noise was bad and at that time my power windows would go up for a few secs and then not work, you know how they do, so I figured I'd roll the window down and then back up...thinking the window was "stuck" and boy when I did. I was going about 80-90, it was raining, in the middle of Febuary, 3am in the morning, 34* that morning. I WAS CUSSING HER ALL THE WAY HOME, and when I got home...I called her and told her to eat **** and bark at the moon...stupid BIOTCH...that's what she gets for messing with my "other girlfriend"
Old 07-19-2005, 02:34 AM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
What happens is when people put the T-tops back in place, they don't push "down" on the end of the top (part closest to you) before they "latch" the handle in place.

There is a metal rod that slides when the latch is closed. The rod goes into a hole in that back panel of the car. The material surrounding that hole is not metal.

So if you miss that hole, one "forces" that rod into the plastic but not all the way. Unless the rod is in that VERY secure hole, the top is gonna come off.

I've traveled at speeds above 190 mph with the tops latched but unlocked; no problems.

Bottom line . . . make sure you find the hole
Old 07-19-2005, 02:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

We all have a problem finding that damned hole I guess...oh wait, you meant on the t-tops??? Well...n/m then...I was gonna...I can't share...she would get mad if I...awe the hell with it.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:09 AM
TECH Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by 2000_LS1
We all have a problem finding that damned hole I guess...oh wait, you meant on the t-tops??? Well...n/m then...I was gonna...I can't share...she would get mad if I...awe the hell with it.
I was wondering if my pun was too vague or not . . . guess not
Old 07-19-2005, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot to latch my driver's side top down once. I drove 20 miles and never realized it wasn't latched until I rolled my window down doing 80mph. I grabbed up and actually touched the handle, but it flew just beyond my reach. Luckily this road is about 1 mile from my house, and I didn't hear the thing shatter. I looked for it that night but couldn't find it. I went out the next morning and found it still in one piece next to a fence in the ditch. I got real lucky on that one. I had to clean all this white paint off of the trim because it hit the white picket fence. Now there's a small scuff on it that reminds me of my stupidity every time I get in the car.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In the parts for sale forum, there is a person selling a set of t tops from a 2000 TA for 150 + shipping IIRC

Here is the Thread, its a great deal. I thought about jumping on it myself, but I still have my T Tops and should save my money
Old 07-19-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not bad price there
Old 07-19-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was an insurance adjuster for a couple of years and replaced several sets of T-top glass on TA's, Camaros, and a few other cars. Hail storms, vandalism, etc. The glass can be bought individually, just as a sunroof or some other glass on top of the car can. I'd take everyone else's advice about buying used though. Seems to be the cheaper route anyway.

Quick Reply: Can I replace the T-Top glass?