Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can bodyshops fix fiberglass??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Can bodyshops fix fiberglass??

Reason I ask is that the guy I bought my car from hit a deer with it and it looks like someone fell on the corner by the passenger side headlight. Well there is a 4" cowl hood in its place and I kinda want to put the ss hood back. I just dont feel like buying another hood.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, but it depends on the extent of the damage. Take it to a couple and ask them.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Most can based on damage and what needs to be done.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Honestly, I'd replace it with metal. Fiberglass is less resistant to wear, more likely to be physically damaged from small dents and dings, is prone to paint cracking with temperature, than metal. Metal is more difficult to mold and paint but is more reliable and will hold up longer. IMHO, anything that came stock as metal I would replace metal. Check out ebay buy a mint condition hood and just have it primed and painted. If there's one fiberglass piece I'd never buy for my car unless I was intending to race, it's a hood. Right over the engine so the extreme heat is right there, plus the hood props put pressure. Plus, check for bend points on the fiberglass. Original hoods are designed to crumple with an accident. Some aftermarket hoods are sold without them, and thus could easily take your head off with a good enough hit (which is why crumple bend points were made in the first place).

So yes...fiberglass can be fixed, as long as the damage isn't too extreme. Is it a worthwhile investment? IMHO, no. Keep in mind it's gonna be bending out any dents, bondo over fiberglass to smooth it out or fill any significant gaps, etc...