Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Which bird to put on the hood?
Trans Am bird (Rear center panel style)
33.33%
4th Gen bird (Front license plate cover style)
66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Need advice on bird design for my hood...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on bird design for my hood...

I'm planning on painting a hood bird on the WS9 hood I just got, but I would like some advice from you guys as to which bird design to use. I will be having "ghost flames" outlining the shape of the bird, but with a "true fire" look... however, because of the color of my TA (blue/green chameleon), I'm using non-traditional color schemes... pearls of green, silver highlights, etc.... the same colors that are on the car now with the silver overlays I have). I'm wondering which would be better, the outline in flame of the TA bird (the one on the rear center panel), or the fourth gen specific bird (like on the front license plate panel)???
Chime in and let me know which you guys would go with. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Teching In

have you thought about maybe the oldschool classic looking bird, thats just an idea, i think any will work. i do think it will be hard to ghost on a chameleon car. i was thinking about ghost flames on my silver ta i went with charcoal and an red pinstrip outline came out good. i think you got an idea going. hope you figure what will be best.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Yeah I know it won't be the "ghost" effect tht people are accustomed to... but if it works the way I'm hoping, the colors will "pop" at different points, making the flames seem to flicker... just an idea, if it doesn't work, I can always start over... and if it does, nobody around here will have anything like it... I got the idea for the flame colors from the pic below. I love the way they look, but I wanted to put a little silver in with them, and make them have a little more "ghosting" effect, over just having the true fire paint job:
Attached Thumbnails Need advice on bird design for my hood...-bike.jpg  
Old 07-29-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the one thats on the front of the license plate, have you also seen the Bird of Prey decal/outline what ever you want to label it. http://gmhightechperformance.com/fea..._0401_extreme/
I think that he has the same sorta kinda colors taht you have, anyways either way you go Ghost it and have the edges be featherd so that it dosnt have sharp lines, blend it in alil IMO
Old 07-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Actually, I had already discussed putting that on the car first. Then the idea for the hood hit me... I'll be doing the bird of prey outline in loose flames so it looks like the image is blowing down the side of the car... again, it will be subtle if you are looking right at it, and "pop" from ceartain lighting angles... I don't want it to come off "ricey". I think if it is done subtley it will really catch more attention and compliments that if it just blasts you in the face...
Old 07-29-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

here is mine maybe this will help. It is the bird from the back center section, but with an outline. https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=36704
Old 07-29-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
here is mine maybe this will help. It is the bird from the back center section, but with an outline. https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=36704
$0.02 - That 'Bird looks a little small.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know maybe it's the angle? I had it pulled streched and widened to fit perfect withthe lines of the factory t/a hood. Any bigger would be really over doing it. you can't really tell from the pic but a factory t/a hood humps up on the sides this is where the wings stop.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Teching In

That's about the size that I'll be doing mine, but seeing as how I have the WS9 hood, I'm going to have flames start about 2 inches above the outline of the fiery bird wings and continue up the hood scoops like racing stripes. That will help prevent the illusion of the bird being too small. I think the reason they look smaller when at the bottom of the hood is because you are left with all that open negative space at the top, and width of the top versus the bottom also plays into it a bit.
As for your advice, I had definitely planned on making the edges soft, so they blend and fade seamlessly... keep the votes coming, and post up pics if you got em!
Old 07-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Jeez, the way people are avoiding this thread, you would think I'd have walked into church with my pecker hangin' out... Nobody else has any input on this????
Old 07-29-2005, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AnimalSS
$0.02 - That 'Bird looks a little small.
I agree...
If you must do this cover the hood..
Alos, I would have it painted on and not a vinyl graphic. That will cost more, but will look much better.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:34 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

There are some examples of hood 'birds in my thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351756

I also attached a pic that I took at the 2002 Trans Am Nationals. Hopefully it will help you out in some way.

Originally Posted by DropTopTA
Jeez, the way people are avoiding this thread, you would think I'd have walked into church with my pecker hangin' out... Nobody else has any input on this????
This response almost caused me to not respond to your post. You started the thread on a Friday at 3 o'clock. It's the weekend pal, and people do stuff away from their computers on the weekends.
Attached Thumbnails Need advice on bird design for my hood...-red4thgen02tanats.jpg  
Old 07-29-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definetly do the more modern bird on a modern car. Couple of ideas since it is non typical. 1. Make the flame from the beak be silver. All of the hot colors be the cool colors
Red=silver Orange=lightblue etc. 2. where you have the hump for the nostrils, have wings bend at that point. use those natural body lines to play to the image.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

I'd go with the traditional bird. Other than that, prince xizor's ideas are pretty good.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't offer you any advice on custom paint, but the basic question of which bird...do the bird that's on the plate cover...with both birds in close proximity, I think you should have them match...
Old 07-29-2005, 11:28 PM
Teching In

y2k_ta, first let me thank you for the thread, it was useful, and the pic you posted was sweet looking... but not exactly what I was going for. Prince Xizor's response is actually is kind of synching up with the way I was picturing it in my head, so thanks Prince...
y2k_ta, I meant no offense, and while I know it's the weekend, I see some thread polls that blow up instantly and others that go stale without ever getting out of the gates, so to speak. I figured that since I am a newbie to the site, some may not have felt the thread deserved their input. The statement was just an attempt at a chuckle from the people viewing, so maybe they would post up some suggestions... if I did however, offend you, or anyone else reading this, I do apologize. That being said, thanks for the help!
Old 07-31-2005, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Well, after a full weekend of opportunity for input, with a whopping turnout of 8 whole votes, it looks like 4th gen wins 6-2.