Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

T-top Panel Oxidation?

Old 08-02-2005, 03:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default T-top Panel Oxidation?

Ok,
This one is a little hard to explain, but highly annoying. For as long as i can remember on my TA, the panel that runs across the top center of the car on the outside that my t-tops slide into almost looks.....oxidized?! It forms this....hazzy blue/purple tint that if you wipe on it will go away. it always comes back, and i can't seem to figure out how to get rid of discoloration, and how it's getting there! anyone else having this problem?
Glass
T-top I T-Top
Sail panel
rear hatch

It's the "I" in the horrible diagram above.....Anyone have any ideas, or have they figured it out?!

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim, this is what's called Filiform Corrosion. Filiform Corrosion occurs when the relative humidity of the air is between 78 and 90% and when the surface is slightly acidic. It starts breaks in the coating system, and proceeds underneath the coating, due to the diffusion of water vapor and oxygen from the air through the coating. Filiform Corrosion can be prevented by storing your vehicle in an environment with a relative humidity below 70%; by using coating systems having a low rate of diffusion for oxygena and water vapors; by maintaining coatings in good conditions; and by washing your vehicle to remove acidic contaniments from the surface (such as those created by pollutants in the air).

The only true way to fix this, is to stip the T-bar completely, properly treat it, then re-paint it.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike3605
Tim, this is what's called Filiform Corrosion. Filiform Corrosion occurs when the relative humidity of the air is between 78 and 90% and when the surface is slightly acidic. It starts breaks in the coating system, and proceeds underneath the coating, due to the diffusion of water vapor and oxygen from the air through the coating. Filiform Corrosion can be prevented by storing your vehicle in an environment with a relative humidity below 70%; by using coating systems having a low rate of diffusion for oxygena and water vapors; by maintaining coatings in good conditions; and by washing your vehicle to remove acidic contaniments from the surface (such as those created by pollutants in the air).

Wow. Quite an informative answer. Unfortunatlely, I live in the Humidity belt of the United States(TN), and humidity RARELY gets out of the "danger" realm. Is there no kind of wax/cleaner i can apply that will take care of the problem?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

I just hit the edit button as you replied: The only true way to get rid of this type of corrosion is to completely strip the T-bar, removing the corrosion, treat it with a corrosion preventive compound, prime it, and then paint it. Hope this helped!
Old 08-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Import Patrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that sucks major #$%&, I have the exact same problem. It is as annoying as the day is long. Damn it, now I just want to kicj someones ***.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

I have one I don't need I'll let go for $45 shipped

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T-top Panel Oxidation?