Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How Much Does It Cost...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question How Much Does It Cost...

...to take a car such as my 2001 WS 6 to a detail shop and have them buff out the entire car? I know the cost will vary but what do you think a normal price for something like this would be? I'd do it myself but I've never done anything like that nor have the tools to do this so I'd like to just have somebody who knows what they are doing do it.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I usually charge 100-150, depending on the condition of the paint. Black is a little more difficult to work with because it shows everything, but it looks the best when done. Does the paint look cloudy or just feel rough? The clay bar does wonders. I also have zero overhead and the detail shops have employees and bills to pay. The picture below is a 95 Viper that was covered with overspray and shop dust etc. and looked horrible just sitting there. I used the clay bar and it removed all the overspray and contaiminents without using the buffer.
Attached Thumbnails How Much Does It Cost...-hpe_vipblk2.jpg   How Much Does It Cost...-hpe_vipblk1.jpg  
Old 08-03-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have my car detailed every few months. The amount they charge depends on who you go to. I would say for a shop it would be anywhere from 100-150. I don't spend that much but thats what I've seen.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I charge $75, to buff the outside, clean interior, wheels, and the glass. If its a black car, I up the price to $115 because black is the worst color in the history of colors and is the biggest pain in the *** to make look decent. And once it does look good in the shop, 2 days later it will look like hell again. So, usually car washes will do a whole exterior job on your car for close to $100.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

why dont you first try like a clay bar job and see if that dose the trick, they are only like 15 bucks at the AutoZone and come with everything, I'd try every thing myself before I admit defete.....that is what us money tight s do
Old 08-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Launching!

I charge about 100 or so because all the places around here want min of 150... I get steady business and I help people out! Supplies cost me around 40-50 bucks a car (give or take how much i use) so I walk out with about 5 bucks an hour lol! Take 4-10 hrs to detail! Goodluck...
Old 08-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Well the paint is pretty good, there's just some scratched up places here and there, on the doors, on the back left where it looks like some idiot scratched off a dealer sticker instead of peeling it off, and a couple places looks like a cat got on it. The majority of the car has microscratches where it looks like the previous owner probably took it through those damn automagic car washes.

I could care less about the interior and glass as it looks perfectly sharp. Basically I just want the scratches out and for it to look smooth and not see a bazillion little scratches when the light shines on it a certain way.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Where u located?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Pittsburg, Kansas
Old 08-03-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i usually charge 200+ to remove little spiderwebs and swirlmarks leaving the finish nice and almost swirl free. It does take time cause i use a rotory to remove swirls. The clay bar will only remove surface contaminents (sp) and from there you just polish out the scratches with either some kind of polish like menzerna or you can use a mild compound like 3m rubbing compound. Good luck searching for a detailer. Id check the autopia forums and see if you can find a person that can do it for you.

and sometimes it looks like this.

Quick Reply: How Much Does It Cost...