Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Successfully removed roof panel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Successfully removed roof panel?

Ok so here's my question. I've searched here and it looks like anyone that is removing the roof panel (the top piece that spans across the roof behind the t-tops) breaks it. Has anyone pulled it and it not broken? Is there a secret to it? I want to repaint it and obviously I want to paint it right not just dust the corners and hope to get it. PLEASE someone's gotta know!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are referring to the B-Pillar panel across the back area of the roof, they are glued on. You won't get them off without breaking them, ..., Or at least I've never seen any notation anywhere that someone has been able to, ...

Last edited by PontiacFan; 08-03-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah I don't think you'll be able to pull it without breaking/cracking it apart. They're glued on pretty good.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:17 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like it's a tape off and paint deal
Old 08-03-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

if youre talking about the sail panel, theres is a way to take it out, and its pretty easy. i did in less then 10 min. no breaks no cracks. go to a glass shop and ask them if you can buy that thin sharp wire they have to take off winshields, looks like your throttle body cable but this one is sharp. work it underneath the panel and saw it back and forward and work your way up and around to the other side. the wire unsticks the panel very easily.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, I live in england and i have bubbles in the paint on my roof panel (sail panel),which is the outer panel made of plastic, and i want to replace it with a new one. where do i get one from and how much do they cost, also any contact telephone numbers would be useful. thanks colin.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

I have an extra one. I found a guy getting rid of them and bought a couple since i buy my f-body's wrecked so i figured i would need another one some time.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

for they guy in england, there is a recall on the pannels, if you have a dealership over there to take it to they will repaint it
Old 08-03-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSideExhLS1
if youre talking about the sail panel, theres is a way to take it out, and its pretty easy. i did in less then 10 min. no breaks no cracks. go to a glass shop and ask them if you can buy that thin sharp wire they have to take off winshields, looks like your throttle body cable but this one is sharp. work it underneath the panel and saw it back and forward and work your way up and around to the other side. the wire unsticks the panel very easily.

Ok so once its off wat did u use to clean the glue off and wat did u use to glue it back on?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Technical Service Bulletin No. 03-08-98-001A

Search "Roof Bubbles" "TSB", ...

Take it to your dealer & see if they work with ya on the replacement & repair costs. Some will, some won't, ...

The TSB shows what part numbers to use, what products to use to re-apply, ...

Good Luck, ...
Old 08-04-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Technical Service Bulletin No. 03-08-98-001A

Search "Roof Bubbles" "TSB", ...

Take it to your dealer & see if they work with ya on the replacement & repair costs. Some will, some won't, ...

The TSB shows what part numbers to use, what products to use to re-apply, ...

Good Luck, ...

Ok sounds good. AT first I started to read that and was like WTF I dont have bubbles. But I get it at the end there with the how to re-apply stuff thanx
Old 08-04-2005, 04:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I say DO NOT remove it. If you dont have any wind nosie now, its a good chance you will after this.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you get it off you can use a Heat Gun to help cut throuth the epoxy, then heat it up again and use a putty knife to peel up the rest of the epoxy on the chassis...That's the method I used to do mine when I pulled my top off the hardtop to make the Targa top...
Old 08-04-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

The roof cap is held on with windsheild urithane and a primer/adhesion promoter, you will never get it off without breaking it and No glass company will ever get it off without breaking it.

I do bodywork for a living and have replaced a few of them, you can get the sides loose with a wire but not the top section du to the lip behind the T tops.

And a heat gun will do nothing to windsheild urithane.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
The roof cap is held on with windsheild urithane and a primer/adhesion promoter, you will never get it off without breaking it and No glass company will ever get it off without breaking it.

I do bodywork for a living and have replaced a few of them, you can get the sides loose with a wire but not the top section du to the lip behind the T tops.

Awesome a body man! Ok so basically for this I plan on just masking it pretty well hittin it wiht some 600 grit wet sanding paper then a grey scotch brite pad and just respraying it. But by next question would be how do I get the weatherstripping off of the door? like the window section on the top edge of the door so I can paint there too?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremiah

my buddy and I took it off in less then 10 mins with absolutely no damage to the panel or to the front lip the urethane adhesive is very hard to remove .
Old 08-05-2005, 03:27 AM
FormerVendor

Just tape it off and you will be good to go. I would undo the hatch bolts and slide it back a few inches and then just pull the weather strip off at the edge that toches the sail panel. Also be sure to pull the t tops off and the center t top bar and then just tape everything up good and your ready to go. Removing the hatch and sliding it back is not neccessary unless you feel a need to. I have painted many w/o removing it and they come out fine.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69vette
Just tape it off and you will be good to go. I would undo the hatch bolts and slide it back a few inches and then just pull the weather strip off at the edge that toches the sail panel. Also be sure to pull the t tops off and the center t top bar and then just tape everything up good and your ready to go. Removing the hatch and sliding it back is not neccessary unless you feel a need to. I have painted many w/o removing it and they come out fine.

Ya I think I'm just gonna pull the hatch off and remove that center piece(mine needs to be repainted anyways ) And off to paint it'll go!
Old 08-05-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69vette
this will be your best bet.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSideExhLS1
my buddy and I took it off in less then 10 mins with absolutely no damage to the panel or to the front lip the urethane adhesive is very hard to remove .
Sure you did...

Quick Reply: Successfully removed roof panel?