Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CME Valence and Berger panel question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default CME Valence and Berger panel question

I will be installing my CME Valence this evening. I have already had my exhaust tips cut off and have bought 3m Double-Sided car trim tape. It was the strongest they had at O'reily's so I hope it will work. However, I do NOT have the bolts that were on it originally. Here are my questions:

-What should I use to clean the bottom of the bumper and the valence to make sure it sticks?
-Can I use any other regular bolts that I see laying around my garage?
-Will I need to put the bolts on right after I tape it on, or should the tape hold it?

I will also be doing my own "Berger-style" panel. I have already bought bondo and Gloss black ( I think the gloss will look more factory). I know I need to sand it all down and rough it up before I bondo, etc. Here are my questions:

-What bolts do I need to remove to get the panel off?
-Will my tail lights still work with the panel removed?
-Should I primer, then paint?
-How many coats of Gloss Black should I use?
-Should I clearcoat it afterwards?

Sorry for all the questions but I am more familiar with engine work than body work and want to make sure it looks good. Thanks fellas! ( And ladies too!)

Post any pics of Sebring Silver Camaros with Berger panels and/or CME. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Come on guys, I'd like to do this today it's my day off-If you don't know all the answers leave one, it'll help!
Old 08-04-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-What should I use to clean the bottom of the bumper and the valence to make sure it sticks?
Rubbing Alcohol

-Can I use any other regular bolts that I see laying around my garage?
I wouldn't. You can go to Home Depot or pretty much any hardware store to get what you need. It's one of those push pin fasteners that you need to use. It's two peices, and anchor that slides through the fascia and the bumper mounting tab, and a pin that slides through the anchor locking it in place.

-Will I need to put the bolts on right after I tape it on, or should the tape hold it?
The tape will hold it just fine, but I would still use the fasteners. You will need one for each end, and then one for the center just under the license plate recess.

-What bolts do I need to remove to get the panel off?
Open your hatch and pull back the carpet directly behind the panel. You'll need to remove the tail lights first. If you reach your hand behind the carpet, you should feel several big black caps that screw onto rods that hold the taillights and the rear panel on. There are 3 on each side I think. You'll have to double check, I'm not sure exactly how many.

-Will my tail lights still work with the panel removed?
Nope.

-Should I primer, then paint?
First scuff the existing paint with some 400 grit sandpaper to get the primer to adhere better, then spray your base coat. 2 coats primer, 3 coats of base should be fine.

-Should I clearcoat it afterwards?
I would. It's not necessary though. If you want it to be as glossy as can be, then yes clearcoat it. Clearcoat also offers extra protection against fading and flaking. I painted mine satin black and still used a satin textured clear coat.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow talk about gettin the answers! good job!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

the taillights will work with the panel removed, just put them on the same way without the panel. it will look terrible though.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks thats what I needed to know!
I'm still confused about what bolts I need to get though, I didn't really understand the description. Does anyone have pics or a part name/number? Thanks!
Old 08-06-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
wow talk about gettin the answers! good job!
I do what I can {patting self on shoulder}

Thanks thats what I needed to know!
I'm still confused about what bolts I need to get though, I didn't really understand the description. Does anyone have pics or a part name/number? Thanks!
Okay, pop your hood. Now look at your front bumper. Do you see where your front bumper attaches to the grey plastic bumper support in front of the windshield washer fluid reservoir? It is connected using six (I think) push pin fasteners. From where you're looking, they look like black plastic bolts. If you pry one up with a flathead screwdriver, you'll see exactly what you need to buy for your CME valence. Just buy bigger ones, you'll need three. Buy a variety of sizes to see which works best, they're pretty cheap.

I'll try to get pics up of what I'm talking about.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:09 AM
TECH Addict

here is my "sylvia" with the berger panel.
Attached Thumbnails CME Valence and Berger panel question-dscf0058.jpg   CME Valence and Berger panel question-dscf0057.jpg  

Quick Reply: CME Valence and Berger panel question