Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

very sad moment for me

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very sad moment for me

hi guys, the other day was very sad for me. After leaving the gym I went to buy some groceries, i get home and go to sleep thinking everything is ok. well the next day I see the damage as I removed the car cover, I didn't catch it the night before because of the darkness. Its just so frustrating because I purposely park away from people to avoid this, I think it happened at the grocery store though cause it was kind of busy there. I got an estimate from macco just to see how much they would charge, well to recondition my bumber and replace my fog lights its 109 for each foglight and a couple hundred for paint and reconditioning of the bumper totalin up to about 600, doesn't help me I have a 1k deductable on my insurance. School is starting up and tuition was just due.

here's the damage:

the other foglight lens is completely gone. neither now work.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Damn, how do you scratch a bumper like that?! I would kick some ***.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

It looks cracked not scratched. Is the nose darker then the rest of the car? Buy a used bumper and fog lights, strip it to have someone around you paint it and mount it yourself. Its not very difficult and you save money.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LoudmouthLT1
It looks cracked not scratched. Is the nose darker then the rest of the car? Buy a used bumper and fog lights, strip it to have someone around you paint it and mount it yourself. Its not very difficult and you save money.
you're not worried about restoration authenticity.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn that sucks. another reason why i drive my truck mostly or my mountain bike
Old 08-14-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just find a used bumper that's the same color as yours. Buy that, and then replace. Also, those aren't scratches those are stress cracks. And what's going on with the front bumper's color? Do you use a bra or something? Bras are the only thing I can think of that can do that extensive amount of paint damage to a panel (the paint being eaten away towards the top, I mean)...

Edit: Looking at the picture more, I can't even imagine what it was that did the stress cracks... the way they go across the bumper like they do, it's like someone sat on the edge of the nose, which then made the bumper bow out where the stress cracks are, which would then cause the cracks. I had stress cracks all over my front bumper, so I went onto ebay and bought an aftermarket repro bumper, fit perfect and was only $106 shipped to my door.

Old 08-14-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

thanks guys for your replies, to answer some questions
the previous owner used a bra, once i got the car i trashed that bad boy. I seriously wanted to whoop some *** over those stress cracks. i have never seen that but the bumper is flexible so it makes sense that it would crack the paint, the bumper was actually not too bad before, a lot of those marks are bugs sorry. i also just want to get this done as cheaply as possible because i want to have the car repainted entirely by a professional shop within a year or so so longevity is not too much of a concern i found foglights for 45/ea but i still think i can do better. theres stress cracks all over the bottom part too by the point out front. people are ******** sometimes thats two incidents in two months for me.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try a junkyard for a bumper with the same color
Old 08-14-2005, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

There are some sick people out there. They think they can do anything because their sh*tbox isn't worth the sh*t its made of.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

looks like somebody backed into it or something. same thing happened to mine right after i got the car.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know about you but with my insurance I have a 1000 dollar deductable for comprehensive and collision but for uinsured motorists insurance I have only a 250 dollar deductable and it covers things like that since you arent at fault. You might want to check in to that.
James
Old 08-14-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Damn man, sorry. That really sucks... Cant wait for those force field alarms to come out...
Old 08-14-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man Iam Sorry I Know How You Feel I Freak Out If Someone Comes To Close To My Car Because People Just Dont Have Any Respect.... I Have A Beater Car.. Well Shouldnt Say Beater But You Know Second Car And Seems Like I Have No Problems But When I Take T/a Out Everone Comes Close To Hitting Be And Al Kinds Of Crazy ****
Old 08-14-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

yeah, I just found out after pulling the fog lights off that the bumper does indeed need to be replaced, I wonder how much an oem bumper costs. I found a couple pretty nice tear on the bottom that look like it is not worth trying to repair. it coes from the very end were the clips are to nearly the front part on the bottom of the lip

schwingj thanks for the idea, I will look into that. I think maybe I shouldn't drive the camaro so much, my fiance and i also have a t-bird as a second car I guess I just need to be more careful where I go.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

that sucks, but at least its only the front bumper. some people are absoute asshats that have no respect for others property
Old 08-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Launching!

pisses me off, when I had repainted my old 97Z, i went to walmart and parked a few rows back all by myself. when i came out about 20 min later, i had a nice scrape from front fender to rear 1/4 panel on my drivers side. the person who hit it was gone.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

To answer oen fo your questions, I think OEM front bumper covers are around $280 I think that is what I paid plus paint. I know how you feel, one day i drove up too far in my garage and went through the dry wall and my whole front bumper cover got stress cracked. A couple of months later I ran up a bank and it tore it in half so I replaced it.

Quick Reply: very sad moment for me