Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mecham hood owners inside.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mecham hood owners inside.....

Got the hood and put it on.... all of the lines meeting the fenders and the headlight doors are fine. However the very front of the hood doesnt seem to meet the top of the ridge on the front bumper, there is about a 1/2 inch gap. has anyone had this problem with theirs? how did you fix it if you did? Im sure the top of the bumper can be shimmed but i havent tried it yet.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the world of Mecham. This is your first of many problems you will have. After you get it out of the shop, a few months later you will start getting cracking along the edges. You will notice pitmarks and ripples everywhere. **** poor quality! I will be posting pics this weekend hopefully of all the wonderful quality that went in to making this debacle. The shop where I got it done actually called me to come inspect the hood after they put a layer of primer on it. They told me how much work lay ahead and asked me if I still wanted to proceed. I called that shitbag up and told him the story. He said I could return the hood, but I would have to pay for shipping it back! He is fortnate I am across the country from where he is...
Old 08-17-2005, 10:21 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was missing one of the front "lips" or whatever you call it. Well, it had to be custom built up with fiberglass. And now, after less than a year, the paint is cracking, and it will need to be repainted again soon
Old 08-18-2005, 05:58 AM
Launching!

Only problem i have had with mine is ripples on top from were the hood struts mount underneath. In other words, if there off...leave them off. If there on, better go ahead and take them off. I did however get the first one off the new mold (hence mty extended waiting period), so i haven't had quite as many problems as i've always read about.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by matt6822
Welcome to the world of Mecham. This is your first of many problems you will have. After you get it out of the shop, a few months later you will start getting cracking along the edges. You will notice pitmarks and ripples everywhere. **** poor quality! I will be posting pics this weekend hopefully of all the wonderful quality that went in to making this debacle. The shop where I got it done actually called me to come inspect the hood after they put a layer of primer on it. They told me how much work lay ahead and asked me if I still wanted to proceed. I called that shitbag up and told him the story. He said I could return the hood, but I would have to pay for shipping it back! He is fortnate I am across the country from where he is...
Amen. I had almost the *exact* same thing happen when my Mecham came in for my old car. Same deal with the shop. Same deal with mecham customer support. Same deal with more issues after a few months. That's one thing I *sure* don't miss about my old car...
Old 08-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Can those cracks, dimples, pitmarks be fixed?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

My hood had alot of waves in it. One of the worst hoods I have seen from a factory new. I had mine relaid with body filler and it still wasn't perfect. At least not many other people have 'em..