Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The Microfiber Towel Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Microfiber Towel Review

I’ve had the opportunity to use a variety of microfiber towels from several different online retailers and wanted to share some feedback on those. Testing was conducted on towels from Fiber Works, Autofiber, and Ultra Microfiber.

*All towels were washed in MicroRestore detergent before use, and all towels were tested together to get accurate comparisons.*

Fiber Works ( www.fiber-works.com )

I received these towels in a timely fashion. They were packaged very well. Customer service seems top notch.

Extra Plush Towel - $4.25

This towel seems well constructed and has held up wonderfully so far. It is very plush on both sides, and I have not noticed any marring. I tested this towel for wax/sealant removal and quick detailing qualities/attributes. With different nap on each side, this towel is nice to use for wax/sealant removal. It gives the ability to use the short nap side for easy removal, and then by flipping the towel, the longer nap allows for a good final buff. This towel is very similar to the Pak Shak Ultra Plush. I don’t have any complaints about this towel.

Plush Towel - $4.00

This towel seems well constructed and had held up very well so far. This is a very fine towel with a short nap. I tested it with wax removal and QD duties. It performed both well, but I prefer it more of QD duties. I love the feel of this towel. It is very similar to Pak Shak’s Ultra Fine towel. No complaints at this time.

Ultra Fine Silk Edge Towel - $4.25 & Ultra Fine Edgeless Towel - $4.00

This towel seems well constructed and has held up wonderfully so far. As the name states, it is a fine towel with a very soft silk border, and it has not produced any marring. I tested this towel for wax/sealant and polish removal. This towel works well, making removal quick easy. For any areas that wax or polish is too thick it just takes a few passes to effectively remove. I needed only one towel to make my way all the way around the vehicle, removing the wax. My only complaint about this towel is that the dark green color bled pretty badly in the first wash, but that’s mainly my fault for washing all the different colors together.

The edgeless towel was tested and performed identically to the silk edge towel. Only difference is the border.

Waffle Weave Glass Towel - $4.00

This towel seems constructed and has held up wonderfully so far. This towel was a bit rougher than I was expecting, but considering its glass designation, I felt comfortable using it. This towel works well by spraying glass cleaner directly on it and by spraying the cleaner directly on the glass. It left a clean and streak-free finish. My complaint about this towel is its size. I would like to see it a few inches larger in each direction. The small size lent to glass cleaner saturation at times.

Waffle Weave Drying Towel (Small) - $7.50

This towel seems constructed and has held up wonderfully so far. This towel is very plush and hasn’t produced any marring. The towel is very absorbent (very comparable to the Pak Shak WW). Being the smaller sized WW, I found it a bit inadequate for a full vehicle, but they do offer the larger size, so it would make a great secondary towel. No other complaints past the size.

Microfiber Applicator - $2.50

This is a well constructed applicator and has held up wonderfully so far. I was a little surprised by this applicator. I normally don’t care for MF applicators; they’re usually to “grabby” for my tastes. This one is quite different. It has a different weave and nap making it easier to work with, IMO. It is easy to prime and doesn’t seem to waste much product. It is pretty easy to get a thin, even coat with this applicator. No complaints right now.

Microfiber Dry Mitt - $5.25

I used this on a few different car interiors in conjunction with Meguiar’s Interior Quick Detailer. It is quite plush and works pretty well, but due to its size and nature, it’s a little difficult to get into certain areas. I think I’ll probably stay with a normal MF towel for this type of work. Nothing necessarily wrong with the product, it’s just a personal preference thing.

Ultra Microfiber ( www.ultramicrofiber.com )

These towels were well packaged, and I received them quickly. Great customer service.

Chamois Towel - $7.00

This seems like a well constructed towel and has held up very well. This towel is referred to as a chamois, but I did not test it as a drying towel. I felt it was much better suited for QD purposes and final buffing. The long, plush nap on one side of this towel is a bit different than most plush towels that I’ve used, but it has quickly become one of my favorite QD towels. It quickly and easily buffs off QD and leaves a great finish. The short nap side works equally well for wax removal. No complaints at all for this towel.

I also received some smaller white waffle weaves that he is testing, but they aren’t listed or for sale currently, so I won’t say much about them other than they work well and are very soft.

Autofiber ( www.autofiber.com )

More nice packaging, timely shipping, and great customer service.

Pro Detailing/Ultra Towel - ~ $1.79

This towel seems to be well constructed and has held up well so far. This seems like a good all purpose towel. It’s pretty plush and is pretty versatile, from wheels, to windows, to polish removal, to QD. This is another towel with different nap on each side. No real complaints for this one.

I also received a foam-core waffle weave to test. It is a very thick waffle weave and quite different from any I’m used to, but it hasn’t been released yet, so I will not comment at this time.

MicroRestore Detergent

I have used Pinnacle Rejuvenator and Pak Shak’s MF detergent, and so far MicroRestore is my favorite microfiber detergent. They are all very similar in performance, but the scent and final finish of the MicroRestore seems slightly better, IMO.

*Each retailer also sent me their respective versions of MF wash mitts, but I do not like to use these on my paint, so I am not going to review them.*

Overall, each retailer has nice towels, with no more than a few minimal complaints about any. I received very good customer service, and they all seem like pretty good values. Fiber-Works seems to have the best overall variety. Their variety and quality are very similar to Pak Shak’s (which has been my favorite and benchmark). I think the Ultra Microfiber Chamois has to be my favorite overall QD towel.

I hope this has been thorough, and if there are any questions, please let me know.

EDIT: The above are the towels that I have tested most recently. I don't want anyone to forget about the many other great MF retailers:

www.dftowel.com
www.pakshak.com
www.autopia-carcare.com
www.detailersparadise.com
www.exceldetail.com

etc.

Last edited by ZaneO; 08-19-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Great work, as always, Zane.

Can someone please sticky this?

-Mike
Old 08-19-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, Chup!

Last edited by ZaneO; 08-19-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, more than I ever wanted to know about microfiber towels! But very good job will definetely help me w/ my next detailing supplies purchase!
Old 08-19-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Very informative, thanks!!
Old 08-19-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez, I was expecting 3 or 4, but you've really tested quite a few of them. Thanks for the useful info!
Old 08-19-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, guys! I've tested/used over 100 towels from all of the above mentioned retailers and more.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Good info. It should be a sticky.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Have you reviewed the others in the past in this format? Perhaps they could all be combined into one sticky. Also, a side by side comparison of similar purpose towels, including pricing, nap characteristics, etc. would be helpful. To finish it off, maybe a list of the basic essentials (economy), along with more advanced (ideal) setups, and a care guide.

Also, most of these, including the ones claiming to be made for it, you didn't test for drying, which is probably the primary use most people would have for a towel/chamois. What recommendations would you have for this?

Thanks for the great info.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
Have you reviewed the others in the past in this format? Perhaps they could all be combined into one sticky. Also, a side by side comparison of similar purpose towels, including pricing, nap characteristics, etc. would be helpful. To finish it off, maybe a list of the basic essentials (economy), along with more advanced (ideal) setups, and a care guide.

Also, most of these, including the ones claiming to be made for it, you didn't test for drying, which is probably the primary use most people would have for a towel/chamois. What recommendations would you have for this?

Thanks for the great info.
I have not formally reviewed the other towels in this format. I have so many towels, it would take weeks just to write it all up. The same goes for side-by-side comparisons with purpose, etc. IMO, short nap is better for wax/sealant/polish removal, and longer nap is better for QD and final buffing purposes. Most sites give a pretty decent description of their towels and many are similar between retailers.

Waffle weave microfibers are the ones that are actually made for drying purposes. Drying is only the tip of the iceburg for microfiber towels. If you need one for drying, get a waffle weave. Otherwise, look to short nap and plush towels for other detailing duties.

To care for microfiber towels, they should be washed in hot water with liquid detergent (or MF specific detergent) with no fabric softener, and they should be rinsed twice. For added soil and detergent release and to maintain softness, you can add 1 tsp. of distilled white vinegar to the final rinse cycle. They should be dried on low heat or the air setting.

If you have questions on a particular towel, feel free to ask.

Last edited by ZaneO; 08-19-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

I wasn't trying to make you add much to this, just suggesting ways to make it more complete if this were made into a sticky. If the information is already on here, which I think much of it is, I'm guessing it would be fairly easy for a moderator to put all the data together into one thread for a complete guide to microfibre.

Again, thanks for all the info .
Old 08-19-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome info, definetly sticky worthy.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Very nice info. Always looking for more/different MF products.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

great write up, deffinatly dont want this one to get lost in the other threads!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:35 PM
formerly mystic-t/a (changed 02/05/2013)

Zane, you wanna try some other microfiber towels to review? PM me for the special review pricing.
Here is a link to see the towels on a post on another site. http://www.norcal-ls1.com/forum/show...d=1#post405809
Old 09-23-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

I've got more products to test/review than I have time right now.

If you want to send some my way, let me know.

Thanks

Quick Reply: The Microfiber Towel Review