Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting interrior two-tone

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting interrior two-tone

I have a pewter 99 z28 and am considering painting some the inside pewter. Pretty much the same spots as rksprts carbon fiber fit would change.

Do you guys think this could be done on the factory pieces to look actually good quality??
and where would I pick up the paint the same color as my car??
Old 08-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

take the peices to a local decent body shop, they should do a good paint job ..

we life time warranty our paint work so ask if they do.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

what should that run me??
Old 08-22-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

anyway, what would it take to do it myself.

I also noticed that the lid of the center console is rubber and not the same plastic, would it be possible to paint this because I think it would look a HELL of alot better painted as well.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

No way you could paint that and have it last. The color is molded into the rubber.

You can paint everything yourself, but metallics are difficult to color match. If you don't have experience painting things I'm not sure you would want this to be your first project. You would have to buy the exact paint and paint it correctly if you wanted it to match, a auto paint store is the only place to get the paint. Paint isn't cheap and you will need something to spray it with.

If you aren't concerned about perfect paint match you have more options, including spray cans.

Brian
Old 08-23-2005, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Cool

Im in the process of doing that right now. I have a red 98 camaro. I bought a can of red metallic at autozone for about 9.00. doesnt match the outside paint but sill looks hot when the sun hits it. If you dont want the paint rubbing off a little with time spray it down with clearcoat. That comes in a can too.

Good luck with the project.

J
Old 08-23-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

can i sand and primer that plastic?

and how many caots of paint and clearcaot should I do to make it look right??
Old 08-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Teching In

i didnt and i have only got one coat on now with now clearcoat. on a tight budget so i might not get the clearcoat on for a couple weeks. I am not a professional at this so i dont know much. The back of the spraycan says to buff with a fine grit sandpaper and primer couldnt hurt.

good luck

jason
Old 08-23-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just be aware that a bad paint job in your interior can diminish the value of your car for resale considerably. Some would argue (myself included) that ANY interior painting is detrimental to car value.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

I've thought abouyt that. And I definetly don't plan on doing a bad paintjob.

Like some spraypaint inside in every other honda civic you see.

I want it to look so good that if you had never been inside another camaro you wouldn't be able to tell it didn't belong like that. trying to get the same pewter as the exterior with all the sparkles and everything.

How to do this is what I'm asking advice on.

I wan't people to get in my car and be like wow this looks amazing. not wow dumbass this spraypaint looks like ****.

And if need be I could always get the stock pieces from a junkyard to make it stock again....
Old 08-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Launching!

If you have access to a garage (yours or someone elses).. i suggest investing in an hvlp (can get a decent one for less than $125), and borrow a buddys compressor. Get the paint from an auto body place and practice on some scrap pieces. When i think of painting anyitng on a car with spraypaint, i cringe and want to.. . If done right it looks sweet. People think mine is red wood all the time, until the light hits it and they see the metalic.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

floridaZ I looked at your car domain, I think your interrior is beautifull.

That is exactly what I want, only pewter. Could you please give me the steps you used to achieve that.

I have a compressor, what is an hvlp. (I don't know anything about painting, but I like learning)
Old 08-24-2005, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
I have a compressor, what is an hvlp. (I don't know anything about painting, but I like learning)
He is talking about a spray gun. You can do a quality job with a spray can if prepped properly and you rub it out. The problem is the spray can paint itself is generally not as good. Spray can paint is optimized for drying fast, not durability or good finish.

His car (florida Z) looks great because of the color painted. And I have to agree with the decreasing the value of the car possibly. What I would do is sit on it for a while and decide if that is really what you want to commit to doing. Then if you have no experience painting I would take it to a shop, sorry to say.

Brian
Old 08-24-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, if you really insist on trying it yourself, buy a second set of the parts you're painting off ebay. Then when it's time to sell or if you get tired of it, you can easilly swap the stock parts back in.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to agree that taking it to a body/paint shop would yield the absolute best results. I was going to do the interior of my SS myself, and I practiced on a spare piece of textured plastic that I had, and I wasn't happy with the results. I wanted it to look as deep and rich as the exterior paint on the car (NBM), but my attempts were no where close. I then took it to a buddy's body shop and he did an awesome job. The color is very deep and rich, and he did an excellent job on the clear coat to protect it. Even the pearl in NBM was done just right...actually I think the interior paint is clearer/crisper than the exterior GM factory paint job The car is daily driven and the pieces have been painted for over a year now and they haven't chipped or flaked anywhere.
I get compliments from everyone who sees it...not one serious rice comment yet.

Bottom line:
If you have a paint shop do the pieces with a 2-stage (base coat-clear coat) process, you won't be sorry
BUT if you still insist on doing it yourself the prep work on the pieces is key: You have to degrease/clean the pieces (especially if you've used armour-all on them in the past), sand smooth or scuff (depending on what kind of finished texture you're looking for), use an adhesion promoter to help the paint stick like a primer would, and I'd say to probably do at least 3 coats of color and 2 coats of clear. People have done more extensive writeups on the process, try to do a search and see what comes up.

Hope this helps some
Old 08-24-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

if u want it to look good, try these guys Phoenix Imaging
http://dakota-durango.com/featuredproduct.php

sample pics
http://dakota-durango.com/featuredproduct4.php
Old 08-25-2005, 12:09 AM
10 Second Sleeper Club

When in doubt of your own abilities to paint, hand it over to the pro's who know what they are doin. Your car is too valuable to be an experiment!!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

I hear that how much do you think a good shop wwould charge for something like this??
Old 08-25-2005, 01:17 AM
10 Second Sleeper Club

I'm not sure about price but I have a bud who is a body man in town and does excellent work. Ive been toying with the idea of having the same thing done to mine by having the same parts your talking about painted in the maroon my car is painted. I'll ask him tomorrow if I can. Been real busy at work.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:20 AM
10 Second Sleeper Club

By the way, if your loking for good mods at a very reasonable price try ws6store.com. got most of my stuff fom them because of real good pricing, good delivery turn around time and customer support.

Quick Reply: Painting interrior two-tone