Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mecham hood Solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 08:50 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mecham hood Solution

My Mecham hood has recently started getting really bad along the edges where the hood meets the fenders. I have talked with my painter, and we are going to redo it soon. However, the cracking will just come back no matter what we do to the paint due to the high compression struts. So I have concluded they have got to go before I have the hood repainted. I don't want to put a stick under the hood to hold it up tho- that looks ghey IMO. I also don't want a pin on hood that I have to completely take off. So does anyone know of a lower strength strut for our hoods? If not, and I have to engineer something for myself, I am thinking of doing a reverse opening hood latch like the Vettes. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iv'e thought of that before, its a real good idea. Iv'e tried to figure out if it is even possilbe. Im sure it is possible, but it would be a pain in the ***. Maybe think of doing a tilt hood like the c4 vettes, that would be insane.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

it wouldnt be THAT hard to do the reverse hood, i mean all you need is some hinges really, the holes are already there thanks to the thing that would hold it down normally, i say it can be done, and for cheap. id do it myslef if i wasnt saving for other parts
Old 08-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Is your painter saying that the cracks will come back just in the hood strut areas, or like mine where they formed all along both edges of the hood? I don't use the hood struts at all, but from the one time I had my oil changed after getting this crappy hood, I have pitmarks where the struts are. Why look, I just happen to have a link laying around to show what cracks from Mecham I am talking about...
http://cardomain.com/ride/518658/2
Old 08-30-2005, 08:36 PM
FormerVendor

you can order shocks by the length and compression you want. The company is online if you google it. I got their name at the shop but i would have to look it up.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Banned

REVERSE IT. Go vette style with it and put some mirrors or a mural or something underneath. It would lood sick as hell with that type of hood
Old 08-30-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

are the struts for the non ram air cars weaker than the ram air cars? what about removing the struts and using a prop pole like alot of other cars? VFN needs to make a quality version of some sort of the mecham, although im sure mecham has copyrights and patents.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

matt6822's hood looks like a delamination to me. like maybe they had a shitty mold or couldn't pull enough vacuum on it when laying it up (assuming they mold theses things???). is this what chevy chad is experiencing, or stress cracks from the struts?
Old 08-30-2005, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by matt6822
Is your painter saying that the cracks will come back just in the hood strut areas, or like mine where they formed all along both edges of the hood? I don't use the hood struts at all, but from the one time I had my oil changed after getting this crappy hood, I have pitmarks where the struts are. Why look, I just happen to have a link laying around to show what cracks from Mecham I am talking about...
http://cardomain.com/ride/518658/2
Yeah- I've seen your pics in the other 2 threads you posted. And what do you mean you "don't use the hood struts at all"? Have you unbolted them all together? If so, what holds your hood up when its open? I'm assuming they are still bolted on and by you claiming not to use them means you don't open your hood. But the biggest problem is when the hood is down. The struts are applying constant pressure trying to push the hood up when it is latched down in the front- therefore causing the stress cracks. And they will develop across the whole hood because of the struts- not just along the edges by the fenders.

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
are the struts for the non ram air cars weaker than the ram air cars? what about removing the struts and using a prop pole like alot of other cars? VFN needs to make a quality version of some sort of the mecham, although im sure mecham has copyrights and patents.
Not sure about the WS6 struts, but I'd assume they are the same?? Like I said in the first post, I don't like the look of the prop pole...

The more I think about it, the more I'd actually like to do a custom reverse opening hood. I'll have to start playing with the idea and give it a little more attention.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

it seems to me that the mecham hood is not strong enought in the front to allow a hinging mechanism. the fiberglass isn't all that thick along the leading edge. it would be absoutely badass though
Old 08-31-2005, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHEVYCHAD
So does anyone know of a lower strength strut for our hoods? If not, and I have to engineer something for myself, I am thinking of doing a reverse opening hood latch like the Vettes. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Whoever said that the front part of the Mecham hood is thin enough that it would present a problem if one were to attempt to mount hood struts in that spot was right. I have two solutions:

Replace the hood struts with linear actuators. The beauty of this is that the actuators will hold the hood in whatever position you move them to. There's no stored energy to deal with here. A side benefit of going this route is that in addition to putting no pressure on the hood at all, if you do the reverse opening hood setup like on the Vette, you could actually get away with not having to use a latch mechanism. You can find linear actuators and all the equipment necessary to rig them up here: www.selectproducts.com

IF it is going to keep you awake at night worrying if not having a hood latch will cause you any problems, you could substitute a mechanical hood latch with a plate/magnet setup. Mount the plates in the upper two adjacent corners of the hood where the hood meets the cowl panel. I'm sure you've seen cabinets in homes that have had magnetic latching plates installed in them. Very low charge, but just enough to do the job. Something that size should be all you'd need.

The second solution, which would keep you from having to worry about this same problem again in 3-5 years, would be to reinforce the "skeleton" inner support structure of the hood with carbon fiber. I've seen your awesome carbon fiber skills Chad so I know you're up to the task of doing this. IMHO, the combined effects of not having constant stored energy pressure being exerted on the hood by utilizing linear actuators and the added strength of the carbon fiber reinforcement should just about have your spider webbing problem licked. Just my .02.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the input man. I'll definately consider your suggestions
Old 08-31-2005, 09:58 PM
Launching!

No, I have no hood struts on at all. The guys at the Pep Boys I go to know my car, so they have no problems propping it up. Other than a quick cleaning once in a while of the engine bay, I really don't open the hood that often. I am not to much into the shiny engine parts yet, as I am concentrating more on outside appearance and performance right now. But eventually....
Old 08-31-2005, 11:19 PM

So how in the world did your hood crack??? If that is the case, I am trying to solve the wrong problem...
Old 09-01-2005, 06:47 AM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

We are getting ready to start a similar design that i know will with stand the stock hood struts and be as good a quality of a hood that we can build. I will not seel a item if I am aware of any problems with it, beyond regular prep. I should have somerthing in a month or so. Rex
Old 09-01-2005, 07:20 AM

If it looks like the Mecham hood, I may be interested. I think I'm gonna reinforce mine with carbon fiber on the underside first and see how that goes.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rex orr, will you be able to update us with pics of this design? if so i will gladly sell my mecham hood and buy one of yours as i know your quality is excellent.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

will there be a new hood for us camaro guys?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:23 PM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

Originally Posted by Raven02TA
Rex orr, will you be able to update us with pics of this design? if so i will gladly sell my mecham hood and buy one of yours as i know your quality is excellent.
Hello Raven send me your email address and I will send you a pic of the hood scoop I have that I want to do the T/A and the Camaro hood with. I think we need to do something to make it look a bit better and the rear vents need to be dressed up some also. These are just straight out cut raw edges around the extractor vents. Rex
Old 09-01-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

pm sent with my email

Quick Reply: Mecham hood Solution