Custom license plate before/after

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom license plate before/after

Before-

After-

I'm going on 600 miles w/ it painted red, havn't gotten pulled over yet. Gonna paint the license plate bolts this week. What do you think?

I can't find any laws that specifically state its illegal to paint license plates. Its mounted vertical, more than 12" off the ground and clearly visible from 100' in daylight as to what i've found in the Mi Laws.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive seen a few exotics around here that had license plates that were black. it was a show and it didnt look like it was painted upon close inespection maybe they just did a good job? but i was thinking about painting mine myself but was wondering if it was legal. yours looks really good
Old 08-30-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

yeah that looks badass but is that legal? lol?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to call and check with you local State Police post to see if it is legal. I know in our state that it is illegal to alter the plate in any way. But it does look nice!
Old 08-30-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's a great idea. Your new red plate looks a lot better than your 'puke' blue plate. Too bad they're gonna nail you one day; that can't be legal. It looks great though.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, from a "pig's point of view:" I read several sections of the Michigan MVC and there is a section, 257.257, that deals with Alteration of Registration Plate. The section specifically states, "with fraudulent intent," which you clearly don't have, so that could be your defense. The main section regarding registration plates is:

257.225 Registration plate; attachment to vehicle; legibility; color; distinctive registration plates; name plate, insignia, or advertising device prohibited; violation as civil infraction.

Sec. 225.

(1) A registration plate issued for a vehicle shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle. Except that a registration plate issued for a truck tractor or road tractor shall be attached to the front of that vehicle.

(2) A registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which the plate is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging. The plate shall be attached at a height of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measured from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position which is clearly visible. The plate shall be maintained free from foreign materials that obscure or partially obscure the registration information, and in a clearly legible condition.

(3) A registration plate or the expiration tab on the registration plate shall be of a different color designated by the secretary of state with a marked contrast between the color of the registration plate and the numerals or letters on the plate. The secretary of state may provide a distinctive registration plate as a replacement for a standard plate. To honor a special or historical event, the secretary of state may provide a commemorative plate as a replacement for a standard plate.

(4) A person shall not attach a name plate, insignia, or advertising device to a motor vehicle registration plate in a manner which obscures or partially obscures the registration information.

(5) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle which has a name plate, insignia, or advertising device attached to a motor vehicle registration plate in a manner which obscures or partially obscures the registration information.

(6) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil infraction.
The bolded text is what may get you...it explicitly states that the secretary of state designates the color of the plate, text, and sticker...This is just my .02 and is by no means official legal advice...just some food for thought. I hope you can get away with it because it looks awesome! My SS is black, so Pennsylvania made it easy for me as the DARE program special plate is Black with red logo and white text... Sorry for the long post...
Old 08-30-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks badass and is a very original idea, I'm sure you will get away with it for a long time but eventually you will catch some oinker on a bad day
Old 08-30-2005, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Yea i just got back from a lawyers office i do computer work for. He pulled up the same section LawmanSS did. He said techically speacking painting the plate is Not illegal. That does NOT mean i'm not gonna get pulled over for it, but the law is vaigue(SP?) enough that he could easily get it thrown out of court.

He said there a million arguments that can be put in my favor, expecially since michigan has been whoring out their license plates to every college and non profit orginization. Theres literally like 20 different plates u can get now.

So i'm keeping a copy of section 257.225 in my glovebox. If i get pulled over i'll deal w/ the cops in a nice manner and show them what i have. I have like 8 of those plates anyway, i get a new one every year.

For anyone wanting to know, i just ruffed up the surface w/ a scotchbright pad (only the gackground). Masked off the letters w/ the good autobody masking tape. Cut the letters out, which took me 2 hours. 1 coat of primer, and 4 coats of paint color color matched to the car.

Total cost for all materials was $28.
Seeing everyones face say "there's no way thats legal."
Priceless.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks Great first time I have seen that done.
James
Old 08-30-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by [__--MUD--__]
So i'm keeping a copy of section 257.225 in my glovebox. If i get pulled over i'll deal w/ the cops in a nice manner and show them what i have.
If I may make a suggestion...keep the copy of the section for your reference, but if you do get pulled over for this, don't attempt to argue about it, no matter how nicely, on the side of the road...I have given this type of advice numerous times for all sorts of situations...the side of the road is not a court of law and is no place to debate the finer points of the law...even though in this case, the law is obviously vague. If you ever do get cited for it...take a hearing and present the section to the judge...most Officers, myself included, aren't going to change their minds based on your interpretation of the law...that's what the judges are for. I'm not flaming you or trying to be a smartass...I'm just trying to save you some grief in the future...
Old 08-30-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

man you did a really good job. Just hope you don't p/o an officer because he most likely could call you on that.

I've got a white car so my white plates actually match my setup
Old 08-30-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

I have a white car, and the Texas plates actually match as long as there isn't one on the front of the car hehe.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks sweet, but I know there is no way I could get away with having a pewter tag in Virginia.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks really good.

Originally Posted by [__--MUD--__]
He said there a million arguments that can be put in my favor, expecially since michigan has been whoring out their license plates to every college and non profit orginization. Theres literally like 20 different plates u can get now.

If you ever get puled over, just tell the cop that it came that way.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres a pic i took of one of the exotics with a black plate, looks very nice.
the picture should show up on the 1st when my bandwidth comes back, but until then il just put the code up

Old 08-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Launching!

I like the look of the plate. You never know, you may get a law passed in honor of you one day. It could be called the "mud" law...haha.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nostyta
That looks sweet, but I know there is no way I could get away with having a pewter tag in Virginia.
Me either, but that look's pretty damn good though.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

^pic with the black plate is up
Old 09-01-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The bold letters said that the letters in the plate have to contrast the plate itself, so no orange with red or grey with black, leaving red with white to be perfectly legal... or atleast that's how i took it.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

Niceee!