Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What did i do wrong? a filler/paint question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did i do wrong? a filler/paint question

I have a set set of corvette fuel rail covers for my LT1. I spent sometime and filled in the Corvette letters with filler and primered them and painted them flat black. Now that they are painted you can see the outline of where the word CORVETTE was. When i was finished priming them you couldn't see the Corvette and it felt completely smooth but now that they are painted flat black you can see them. Is there something i did wrong? Even now you can't feel a difference where the Corvette was its completely smooth. I'm wanting to get these things looking nice so any suggestions? Thanks
Old 09-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Launching!

How well did you sand inside the letters and the covers themselves before hand? and did you use a glazing putty after filler?

only two things i can thing of.
also a urethane based primer works best imo. Esspecially on plastic parts that have been filled in some way.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

If you sprayed on the black to thick it could have soaked. Sand it down smooth and try and use really light coats.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FloridaZ
How well did you sand inside the letters and the covers themselves before hand? and did you use a glazing putty after filler?

only two things i can thing of.
also a urethane based primer works best imo. Esspecially on plastic parts that have been filled in some way.
I can't honestly remember if i sanded in the letters or not, they are awfully small so it would of been hard to do, but i think i did. I would go out and help my friend who is a body man and he would always talk about how you need to sand a part to make sure you get a good "tooth" I know i sanded the whole covers. I didn't use glazing putty. I just used a pretty runny filler. I just went to the local parts house and got some filler primer. I think it was duplicolor brand. I put several thick coats on and sanded the covers after the filler primer, then put on a final coat of primer, then the black.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:02 AM
TECH Resident

ya gotta have filler a little past the fill area like how ya bondo a ding in....also its best before filler to take a 40 grit disc on a air drill and knock the edges off the letters to kinda flatten that **** out..try try again you'll make them badass in no time

Jeremy
Old 09-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Launching!

You can probably bend the covers and the filled letters will pop right out. The first set I did, the same thing happend. I was in hurry and didn't sand inside the letters very well. I had too much confidence in the filler i used. So I knocked the letters out and did pretty much what sercastiK suggested. I grinded/sanded the crap out of them. I know its moving backwards, but if it bothers you enough, that should do the trick.

Quick Reply: What did i do wrong? a filler/paint question