Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

[HID PLANET]Think again before gettin a HID "kit"

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation [HID PLANET]Think again before gettin a HID "kit"

I really hope this thread can help you guys. You're making the road more dangerous than it already is by adding a HID kit to your car. so please do HID the right way by doing a retrofit.

HID kits are illegal due to the glare that they cause. Glare is Light that is emitted in a Uncontrollable path. When light is traveling in a uncontrollable path it can hit other vehicle operators affecting there vision because of the High amount of uncontrollable light that is being Emitted from a HID kit in a standard Halogen housing. If you have ever turned a flashlight on right in front of your face while it is dark out, that is the same feeling that the other drivers on the road experience from a standard HID kit.

OEM Vehicles such as Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus are all equipped with HID or Xenon Headlights. Some use reflector housing’s without projectors. Others use HID projectors.

The Lexus IS300 is a Prime Example of a HID reflector housing. It does not use a Projector. It uses a Specially designed Reflector housing that is meant to use HID. This does not create the Super sharp cutoff. But it does control where the light is being Emitted.

Other vehicles such as the Honda S2000 Use HID projectors, These Projectors are meant to use HID. They are Specially Designed and have been tested Hundreds of times to get the right projection of light while maintaining a Good Cutoff.

Here are pictures of Halogen housings mated with a HID kit

9006 6000k HID Kit... mad glare

This teg is a prime example of Glare. This is what it looks like to oncoming traffic

Disaster pix. HID kit in Halogen Housing

NOW THE GOOD stuff..lol

This is what HID is suppose to look like.. Pictured is a STi

Talk about a Razor Sharp Cutoff. Pictured is a S2000 OEM setup

another S2000 Retrofit… YUMMY

Article stating why the kits are illegal.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/glare.html

See the difference?

Its not just honda's either. Here is a mid 90's Lexus with a HID kit..

To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales.

RM Racing
Astex USA
Kmax International
FET, Inc.
J. Liu LLC
Gourmet Garage
JC Whitney
Lighting Research
SPW Industries, Inc.
Pacific Micro-lite
McCulloch Motors, Inc.
Santeca Electronics
JF Manufacturing
Streetglow, Inc.
Outback Products, Inc.
Nu Performance
GR Motorsports, Inc.
Global Premier
New Clor
Importhookup.com
DG International
MTC Lighting
Umnitza
Liteglow
American Products Company

Enjoy fellas, i hope you learned something about HID's, now if there was only a way i could do something for my t/a.. . .hahaha
Old 09-11-2005, 02:22 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

good info
Old 09-11-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK thanks for the info. I'll throw mine in the trash.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

no one is saying to trash what you have; just do it right. besides the glare it causes, it doesn't look as good as you think.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad we can't get a light kit (either HID or halogen) with the good pattern, had a set of Hellas on my little encobox, Dodge Colt, and they had a really nice sharp pattern to them, of course no one makes anything for a T/A
Old 09-12-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used some HID's with my halo headlights, I had glare, did I care? no.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

might care when someone with the same mod is coming at you with some even brighter head lights at midnight and leaves you temerarly blinded from the light!
Old 09-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Launching!

*cough* I'm still getting them, dangerous for others or not, everyone else does it so.. hmm yea.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol errr never learn lol well how about this, has anyone ever even bother to making the headlight housing so that it will have sharp lines instead of that nasty glare?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AntiVenom06
*cough* everyone else does it so.. hmm yea.

your one smart man..... HAHAHAHAh
Old 09-12-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

my exgirlfriend had a mazda rx8 with the HID factory and it had the beautiful and colorful lines and no hot spots at all it was all eveny distributed and there were no central spots like you find on a halogen setup..not to mention it illuminated the road beautifully and was a less stain on your eyes...to bad she left me for the mazda dealer...oh well..nice HID setup anyways
Old 09-12-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
lol errr never learn lol well how about this, has anyone ever even bother to making the headlight housing so that it will have sharp lines instead of that nasty glare?

Dunno, a buddy of mine is working on a custom setup of his own using parts from other cars with factory HIDs.

I've ordered a kit from the web for my LT1. I'll see how that one does. If i have glare, im going to see what i can rig up to prevent it. maybe some sort of metal sheild.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FLAWLS1T/A
your one smart man..... HAHAHAHAh
and yes, if everyone jumped off a bridge I would do it too..
Old 09-12-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 3pnt4maro
my exgirlfriend had a mazda rx8 with the HID factory and it had the beautiful and colorful lines and no hot spots at all it was all eveny distributed and there were no central spots like you find on a halogen setup..not to mention it illuminated the road beautifully and was a less stain on your eyes...to bad she left me for the mazda dealer...oh well..nice HID setup anyways
Lol...tell her maximas have some nice HIDs too
Old 09-12-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by v8maro
I used some HID's with my halo headlights, I had glare, did I care? no.

People like this represent the true danger in our society. Why? They're like a little kid who's just found his Dad's gun. They never think it's a big deal until somebody gets hurt. Of course you don't care buddy, because just like a 3 year old, you don't seem to have the ability to think about how your actions affect others. Let's just hope that your stone cold attitude is still intact in the event that your own mother were to get killed in an accident from being blinded by somebody driving a car with a headlight setup just like yours...
Old 09-12-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nova5
Dunno, a buddy of mine is working on a custom setup of his own using parts from other cars with factory HIDs.

I've ordered a kit from the web for my LT1. I'll see how that one does. If i have glare, im going to see what i can rig up to prevent it. maybe some sort of metal sheild.
well lets hope so! cuss i want the real HID setup, not the cheapy way out
Old 09-12-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

these suckers were $75 a pair. dunno if thats any indication.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

...well not to point no fingers or take anybody's side but i have been blinded by plenty of new model bmw's and lexus's all the time on the highway and these are factory setups???so ...not to be rude but what's the difference in a stock setup and a aftemarket housing setup, if they both blind you the same, and when i say blind you i mean blind you thats just my 2 cents
Old 09-12-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO all HID should be banned because they ALL cause horrible pain to my eyes everywhere I drive. I flash my brights at them like crazy, sometimes swerve at them depending on how bright the HIDs are... Regardless of whether or not they're OEM and have the nice cut off and not a lot of glare, a lot of idiots out there don't understand how to adjust their headlights properly. It's one thing to have someone's halogen headlights aimmed too high... it's a whole different story when someone's HID headlights are aimmed too high (or atleast thats the only thing I can think of that would cause some of these guy's headlights to seem to be pointed straight at my face)

I'm an aggressive driver sometimes, though...
Old 09-12-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meissenation
sometimes swerve at them depending on how bright the HIDs are...
Classic. You hate the light and think its dangerous, so you swerve at them.

I used to have road rage issues too, until I got in a wreck and had to pay up. Good luck.

Too bad to hear that Umnitza was busted by the NHTA. Good cutomer service and good product. I bought a bitchen Xenon kit from them for my Mazda3. Then again the Mazda was designed for HID lights.

Quick Reply: [HID PLANET]Think again before gettin a HID "kit"