Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

just got my hood painted..

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my hood painted..

ok first of all dont fret, i will have pix up within a few hours, but i just got my car back from the paint shop (4 days) and in the shade the car looks great, they seem to have done a pretty good job with it but there are a few issues...

1. the hood has HORRIBLE swirlmarks and holograms all over it, it just looks like someone put a stale beach towel on a 3 foot buffer and set it to 1billion RPMs... it looks really bad in the sun at certain angles.. and the guy told me just to wax it... now im going to go home and wax it. but i have serious doubts that some wax is going to magically make these swirls dissapear, unless its a chemical swirl, such as if they polished it with some special stuff and you have to leave it on, but i doubt that too... so after i wax it and see the outcome ill take some pictures... they filled in both of the chips very well, cant tell they were there, although ther were some stress cracks on one part of the hood (ver minor) that you can still see a little bit...

the job was, fix two good size chips, primer, sand, and paint it factory black (they used sherwinn williams 7000) and align the hood so that the headlight doesnt catch it when it comes up.. the job total came out to 563.00$$$ it was a pretty common price as well... now for the weird part

they called me when they first started working on it saying that they would have to strip it down and relay some special fiberglass epoxy because the hood had "hood scoops" on it... they dude told me that he thinks they come from the factory with hood scoops and i was like "no dude, i bought this from a guy who hand makes them, they arent factory, and they dont have hood scoops" but he refused to believe me.. they called me and told me about this and said they werent going to charge me but it was why it took so much longer i guess... i duno sounds like a bunch of BS but this guy is supposedly reputable...

now what do you guys think, he told me to go home TONIGHT and wax it, he also said to keep it out of the sun for the first day or two otherwise it gets "blotchy" i duno what this all means but it sounds funny, usually i hear people say "dont wash it, dont touch it, for at least a month" and here this guy is telling me to get home and wax it....

what do the paint experts think about this?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:39 PM
VSJ
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of hood is it and where did you get it?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

US Exotics Fiberglass SuperHawk Hood, from Roger
Old 09-19-2005, 03:57 PM
VSJ
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by darkecho
US Exotics Fiberglass SuperHawk Hood, from Roger
Ive got the WS9 outlaw myself. I remember Roger having some problems with fitment on the Superhawk hood, but nothing like what youve described. It sounds to me like the shop is full of idiots and may have jacked up your hood. I know Roger sent me an email as to what prep it needed so I could give it to my shop. Ill see if I still have that email.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

DO NOT WAX IT!!!!!!!!! They are fucktards if they tell you to do that. The paint has to cure first which can be 30-90 days depending on temperature. In th ehot florida sun it can take as little as 30 days. The paint should look perfect after it is freshly painted, not swirlled and blotchy. MAKE THEM DO IT AGAIN! I have had my OEM WS6 hood painted twice now and they used the same paint. It should look brand new.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah ure not supposed to seal new paint otherwise it wont cure correctly..
Old 09-19-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

They probably want you to do that, so that if you come back to them for teh swirls they can say "well, we would have covered it, but it seems you already waxed your hood". Talk to the manager or shop owner. Get it repainted.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

the manager is the guy who told me to wax it... he did my fathers car and knows that we have lots of pull as far as future potential customers go.. i dont know why it looks so bad
here are some pix...

thats it from a distance, looks pretty nice right?

upon closer investigation you will see several "pits" or little pinsized areas that looks like the paint didnt apply evenly to the entire hood..
such as the following

and finally, here is the hazy swirly nasty holographic BS that is all over the hood

wow... this sucks
for 560$ i would expect a better job...
Old 09-19-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

that looks like seriously... My stock hood that's 6 years old looks better than that.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't know about painted fibergalss hood. Maybe they are willing to color sand it after it cures. I doesn't look bad from far, but up close IS fugly.

D
Old 09-19-2005, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

yeah im sure the swirls will come out, the paint feels like glass but they are so ugly... and im not sure what to do about the washing and waxing... he was insitant on me going home and waxing it ASAP... what about the dimple? the only way to repair that would be to have them reshoot the whole hood or do a spot repair which is too risky... maybe they can just compensate me for it
Old 09-19-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

DO NOT wash or wax it for at least 2 weeks. however with how bad that looks up close, i don't think you can screw it up more.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Launching!

The pits are more than likely from crap that landed on it while it was wet. Chances are they half *** sanded afterwards just enough to knock the dirt or whatever off, and the guy running the buffer had no idea what he was doing. The dots make it look like they didn't even prime it. Was it a single stage paint or Base and clear? Either way i would be up there *** to redo it.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

it is extremely dusty in my area (companies having their roofs pressure blown with air guns and stuff) so ill get some more shots when its not dusty, the main problems are the swirls and the pitting... ill get pix uploaded tonight of it dusted off....maybe ill wax a small portion and see what happens lol... wow i guess im gona have to take it back...

what should i tell them and how should i present it? "yeah i waxed it and the swirls are still there and i notice some pits where it looks like debris fell on the paint while it was still wet... i either want this job repaired or compensation for another shop to fix it..."
Old 09-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

just tell them you had it inspected by professionals, (us ) and that you know it was done poorly and you want it fixed.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

My whole car was just detailed and buffed and I have those damn holograms all over my black car. I took it back Friday to show the dude that did it and it started clouding up and of course we couldn't really see it because we didn't have direct sunlight so he told me it was just dirt I was seeing and that he saw no buffer holograms. My whole car looks hologramed exactly like your closeup when out in direct sunlight.

However I spent 5 hours detailing by hand yesterday using McGuiar's 3 step process this weekend, wash, paint cleaner, polish, then put on some wax afterwards and it does look quite a bit better, but I can still see the swirls although not near as bad, but I have a feeling the next time I wash it, I will see them just as bad again. I need help getting mine out! What exact process needs to be done and with what exact materials?

I have a good mind to wait for a very sunny day and take it back out to the dude but I'm afraid with him doing it so bad the first time, will he be able to fix it? It seems odd to me that he did that anyway because he's been detailing for 25 years or more and even stated that he had 2 black cars, 1 of them a Trans Am and he never left buffer marks on them. Luckily I only paid $45 for the job only because he's good friends with my inlaws but it pisses me off that I paid money for somebody to make my car look worse then it did beforehand.

Good luck with your hood, let me know how it turns out because I need the same help with mine.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

had lot's of swirls in a maroon glass hood

waited 90 day's and my porter cable plus menzerna took everything out
Old 09-19-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Well the pits are more than likely solvent pop from laying on the clear too heavy or not allowing enough flash time. Hot weather makes solvent pop a common thing when spraying clear and if not done properly results in what you have. As far as the swirl marks go that is obviously from the poor job of buffing out the clear. I would imagine that a swirl remover polish would do the trick but if it is still apparent you might have to go a little heavier cut and work your way back up. So the swirl marks will come out most likely but those pits that you see will stay, and probably standout once you buff cause they will fill up with the polish.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

yeah i am not going to use my PC on it just yet, i waxed it with meguires (exactly what the dude told me to use) and most of the swirls dissapeared but they might just be fillers hiding them... we will see in a couple of days, i am going to take it back to the guys tomarrow to show them the pits, solvent pops, or whatever they are... they definately look pretty deep, the guys might be able to use touch up paint to at least lessen their appearance, they really arent obvious unless you point them out, it took me 3 times looking at the hood to spot one, then i found more... i personally think the paint is really good quality, but their work was pretty poor, they left the engine a complete mess from wet sanding the primer, it was all covered in white milky water stuff so i spent about 3 hours detailing the hood, front bumper (which had a bit of over spray, there is also primer overspray on some stuff inside the engine bay) and engine bay... i used CD2 and it looks amazing now

still kinda pissed that such an expensive job cost so much and they made me wax it to fix their mistakes...

im not sure if i want them to "fix" the overspray, they will probably use the buffer and cause swirl marks all over the place...
Old 09-19-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what happened to your hood is that the paint wasnt mixed properly. take it back and have them do it again. thats absolutly unacceptable, would those guys want their car to look like that?? hell no. and you should tell them you want a discount.

Quick Reply: just got my hood painted..