Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lift off vs Bolt on Hoods

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift off vs Bolt on Hoods

Im lookin to buy a VFN ws6 (stock style) hood. I noticed a $150 difference between the two. Does the lift off have provisions for the shocks/brackets? Couldnt i just drill the hood to accept the brackets? $150 is a huge difference. what else am i missing.

also have they finished theyre ws9 design yet

and what is the best price for a ws6 hood these days
Old 10-25-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the WS9 is on the verge of completion probably not even a week, I know they test fitted one this last weekend. But I dont know the answer to your other questions
Old 10-26-2005, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

i was just about to post the same question , i found some ws6 hoods for like 400 on ebay but ive found a hood with the outta latches (i guess they call it "lift off") for lik 200 , and im okay with that , i usually dont lift the hood to poke around , im usually gonna under it for a while if its up , but im not clear on how exactly they work(as dunmb as that sounds , is it as self-explanatory as it seems) i just dont want it to fly off going down the track
Old 10-26-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm thinking lift-off hoods would be pretty crappy for daily driving, because there's obviously going to be some hood flutter, and the locking mechanisms have to be external, correct?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i was thinking of just bolting up my current hardware from my stock hood and using that. im just wondering if the provisions are there on "lift off" hoods as they are for bolt on ones. if thats the case id spend the $300 that it costs for a lift off

Can we get an expert on the case?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They probably don't have the metal support areas needed to attach the hood to the hinges/shocks, nor to attach the front latch to the hood.
A lift off hood is not good for the street, as every time you want to check/showoff something under the hood you have to lift it off a total PITA, plus to keep the hood down you'll either need dzus fasteners, or hood pins @ the 4 corners, stick with the bolt on hood, saving the $150 isn't worth the hassle (been there done that got the back ache from lifting the hood)
Old 10-27-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

2K2WS6TA said it best. You have to drill holes in the hood and you have to attach hood pins to your car and then slide the hood over the pins and lock the pins in. Not good for a daily driver because you will get some hood flutter. A friend of mine just got a 4" cowl hood for his car and I helped him put it on. It was a lift-off hood and is ok for him because he just takes it to the track but we drove it on the street the other day and the hood does jump just a bit and then if you need to take it off you have to have two people to lift it off because it has to be lifted straight up.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

A pin on/lift off hood will not have any provisions to bolt your stock hardware too. Picture this, most aftermarket hoods will be two pieces put together. The underside of the hood and the top part which you see from the outside of the car. Pin on hoods are basically only the top layer. The only way to secure them will be with hood pins or dzus fasteners.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

excellent. thanks guys. so i guess ill have to shell out the $600 for a VFN hood no matter what.

Quick Reply: Lift off vs Bolt on Hoods