Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 firehawk hood chipping

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 firehawk hood chipping

Hi, I have a 2001 firehawk red in color. My hood has began chipping. Not the paint ,but what the paint it painted to. Looks like plastic. It started below the two nostrils in front of the hood. That was about a year ago. No warranty by the way. Now i have a big chip on top of the hood just above the nostril on the right. (if your looking at it in front of the car) about the size of your hand. Where should i get a new hood. I live in texas. could a local body shop that i know does good job in repairs. Can they order a hood for me? And have them paint it for me? The car has not been wrecked in front. I have owned the car since new. As anyone else ever had the problem with their hood. Thank's gary
Old 11-19-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

6 year 100,000 mile warranty on paint. go back and bitch, do some searching there are people that have had their sail panels replaced and painted because of using the wrong glue. if that doesn't work call customer service.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

In my opinion, yer S-O-L, ...
SLP does not stand behind the warranty.
Not badmouthing them in any way. Simple truth as seen from the history.
It's an SLP hood, so I doubt GM will do anything for you either.
Anyway, it is a very well known fact that these hoods have seperation issues in the Firehawk community.
SLP has had many of them returned over the years & the former employees continue to list the returns on eBay up for sale.
The gelcoat on the fiberglass hoods simply peels, cracks, or falls off, ...
My hood has the cracks in the nostril area.

Good Luck, yer gonna need all you can get.
Most likely you can get a body shop to repair it, but it may well come from your own pocket.

Be sure to register over on the Firehawk.org forum also.
And use the search function on all these forums & you'll find this issue over & over again.

Welcome a'board', ...
Old 11-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Teching In

The first time i seen the crack around the nostrils, i took it to my dealer. And they said it looked like the hood as been damaged an fix, and the repaired hood was the problem. the hood had never been damaged. I told them to call me the day the the G.M. rep will be at the dealership they said they would. I never got a call from them. I the called G.M. customer service an talked to a guy. I never heard from him. I called him an left messages. never heard from him. I gave up until i notice the hood was comming apart on top of the hood about the size of my hand. I think the next time i drive the car, that part of the hood will fly off because the crack i facing facing forward and air will pick up the gelcoat and peel it off. I'm not an expert but i think will end up replacing the whole hood. If i have the hood fix, it might start cracking somewhere else. Well thank's guy for ya's info. I don't know how to start looking for a hood for it. And i know they are not cheap. Thank's gary

Quick Reply: 2001 firehawk hood chipping