Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Firebird front fenders and mirrors on a Camaro?

Old 12-01-2005, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Firebird front fenders and mirrors on a Camaro?

Overall, I like the relatively clean lines of my Z28 Camaro but I do not like the way the side mirrors are molded into the front fenders. I much prefer the top curve of the Firebird fender with isolated side mirrors. Strangely, this is the only area in which the Camaro’s styling is arguably more radical than the Firebird’s. My guess is that this is an example of corporate compromise corrupting original designs. How difficult would it be to correct this error?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

being on the same frame...it would mostly be depending on if it would line up to the door panel
Old 12-02-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont know about the fenders but ive always wondered what a camaro would look like if you just modified its original fenders than put firebird or even corvette mirrors on it.it weould look so much better.Ive always wondered what they were thinking but then i noticed impalas have a similar design and probably more chevy cars but i havnt noticed any more.Can anyone photoshop this?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the camaro's mirrors, the firebird's look like the were just tacked on to me.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

If you like the looks of the Firebird why don't you get rid of your Camaro and buy a Firebird. It's the same reason you don't go making Z's into an SS. You improve on what you got you dont mix n match. You play the hand you'r delt, but hey thats just me.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:26 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If you swapped the entire Camaro front end for a Firebird front end, then you could do it. Otherwise, nothing will line up. The hood and fenders won't mix-match due to the top curve of the fenders, and the front nose won't line up with the Firebird fenders because the body seams are totally different.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gary Z
Strangely, this is the only area in which the Camaro’s styling is arguably more radical than the Firebird’s. My guess is that this is an example of corporate compromise corrupting original designs. How difficult would it be to correct this error?
Yeah, I'm with you on that. There were two concepts out in the early '80s that led to these designs: tha California Camaro (aka, IROC), and the Banshee. It looks like the design teams for the 4th gens mixed and matched elements of both in the final products.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2000ZNight
If you like the looks of the Firebird why don't you get rid of your Camaro and buy a Firebird. It's the same reason you don't go making Z's into an SS. You improve on what you got you dont mix n match. You play the hand you'r delt, but hey thats just me.
Some people my say the same thing about zo6 wheel's should stay on the zo6 corvette or trans am interior should stay in a trans am.
These are from different threads.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Katahdin
I like the camaro's mirrors, the firebird's look like the were just tacked on to me.
Do you have links to a bigger picture of the concept in your sig? I'd sell both my f-bodies for just one of those things. That's the best concept I've seen yet!
Old 12-03-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LTSpeed
Do you have links to a bigger picture of the concept in your sig? I'd sell both my f-bodies for just one of those things. That's the best concept I've seen yet!
yes

Here's the thread from the person who made it.
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=2472

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Firebird front fenders and mirrors on a Camaro?