Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need help with new reverse glow gauges

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default need help with new reverse glow gauges

idk if this if this should go here or the stereo/electronics section. i order a set of silver reverse glow gauges and a carbon fiber bezel to go over it. the gauges did not come with instructions on how to wire them up or take the neeles off or anything, just came with the gauges. can someone give me the basics of how to do this? i know you gotta connect to a 12 volt source and also ground it, but where has everyone wired this at? also, wheres the best place for the little box, and the switch w/ the ****?

Old 12-08-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i feel sorry for you. i bought the same one, just not carbon fiber or whatever. my needles are now all kinds of messed up and no one can seem to give me any advice on how to make them work properly now, theyre a bit off.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

ive heard just crank your car up.......draw a pic of the eaxact position each needle is in. then once the gauges are in, crank the car up again and place the needles in the same spot once the car is runnin. sound right?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

You want your car warmed up at operating tempurature. Drive it down the road at 55mph(or any easy to remember speed) and make note of where your RPM's are at. At idle I took a digital picture of where the needles were at for reference so I could put them back in the right spots. To take off the needles use a fork and go underneath the needle center and gently pry up. As for where to put the ****, that's up to you and the space you have to put it. You'll want to wire the positive to the switched lead on the parking light switch. You'll need a voltmeter to check which one is switched with the parking lights.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Banned

off topic, but whered you get those at? any for a T/A?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

got em off of ebay.....bought them separetly off of ebay for a total of $40 shipped for everything. i basically stole em i guess.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

I bought those same gauges (without the CF bezel) about a year ago and still haven't put them in. Anyone want to take them off my hands?

Anyways, I've also heard to just make note of where the needles are and re-place them afterwards.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

believe it or not.....i took the needles out and once they were back on, they all went back to their original positions. now i just gotta wire everything up and mount the switch. still having trouble finding the parking light switch....where is it located and does anyone know what color? i've got a test light to double check once i find it.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Umm...do you not have a headlight switch? Pull that out and check for a wire that gets 12V when you turn on the parking lights and tap into it.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GETGONE
Umm...do you not have a headlight switch? Pull that out and check for a wire that gets 12V when you turn on the parking lights and tap into it.
Im with this guy. I have the same set in my TA. Ground the black wire to a nut under the dash. Splice the red wire with stated above. Its handy to use a volt meter. I mounted my dimmer switch under the dash as its a rather ugly switch.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

i've got everything done now......the 12 volt source i used was the grey wire (headlight switch). right next to it was a black wire that would never light the test light up, so i figured it was a ground, i was right. the wires are right next to each other so it was very easy. now my rpm gauge is actin up....it is a little delayed when i rev, and sometimes get stuck. also, the speedo needle doesnt move at ALL. do i need to put it on at the correct speed while im driving ? il post pics up when i get everything back in there tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just for future reference, YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE NEEDLES. This should avoid the pain in the *** of taking pictures,making marks and all of that bull ****. With patience, I slipped my glow gauges right over all of them without removing the needles. Start from the left two needles point them up,slip on, then the RPM and MPH needles same thing, then the two on the left for last. There you go! No problems, work just as good as before.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

It depends on the gauge cluster whether or not you can get the overlay on with the needles still on. I tried to do this in my Sonoma but they way they were layed out there was no way to get them all started and have the room to get it over the larger center part of the needle.

As for the RPM and speedo, make sure you DO NOT have them pushed on too tight. If you get them too far on they will bind on the new overlay and stick or not move at all. Pull them off a bit and try again and see if they work. You'll want to check your speed and RPM against what you noted before putting the overlay on to make sure they are in the correct spots.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs down

I got this thing and it is retarded and i took it back out. i hate how you need to turn it on manually every time! i mean every time!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

You must not have wired it up right. If you wire it into your parking light wire, it will turn on when you turn the lights on. How did you wire it that you were even able to turn it on and off manually?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Launching!

wow this post got revived from the grave...2005
Like the above post wire it to the parking light wire and there should be no need to have to always turn them on manually. I have the same gauge kit and i wired it into the automatic headlight fuse, so the gauges come on like the factory ones did
Old 04-14-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Yep! The generic directions suck, but they are clear to wire to the parking lights (brown wire behind the headlight switch).

Just did this last night and I like it!! Matches my Eclipse HU perfectly!

Quick Reply: need help with new reverse glow gauges