Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lowest drop? CUSTOM SPRINGS? or coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lowest drop? CUSTOM SPRINGS? or coilovers

Whats the lowest drop you can do, Ive seen a silver TA by my house and he has 2.5 that were custom orderd from Eibach. I know i know it will hurt performance maybe. But If I got a stiffer spring rate it should help out, I really dont care about how the car will ride. Im the kinda guy that can live without AC and PS. Anyone know how low you can drop a F body befor you run into problems? I want somthing lower that the sportlines etc, If you ever seen this car in person it looks very very good dropped that low.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont have an answer for you question, but i cant imagine not being able to even driver over friggin gravel without scraping. i scrape on **** and i'm only 1.5'' lower. it wouldnt even be fun to drive anymore being so low
Old 12-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I couldnt imagine driving over gravel in my car.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

i have about a 2" drop on my car I would like to see a pic of a f-bod with a 2.5" drop
Old 12-13-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
I couldnt imagine driving over gravel in my car.
i was just using an exaggeration to show how bad you'd scrape over **** everytime youre in the car.

but if you've never driven over gravel before, you must not even drive. you dont have to go offroading to run into some, hell there was a **** ton of it on the road today from construction
Old 12-13-2005, 07:28 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

The way my car sits right now, I'd say its approx. 2.5"-3" dropped.

Using a full suspension setup from LG Motorsports, including their coil overs.

It's BARELY driveable down a perfectly even street. If there is a crown in the road at all, my subframe connectors scraple like a hobby.

Put it this way, to pull into my garage, I have to use a jack. The front gets over the transition from pavement to concrete ok, but at the drivers door, my subframe connectors hit. I have to use a thin *** jack to even get it up in there.

I had to pull off my iForged 18s, to run it like this. I'm on the stock 17" wheels right now, no real rubbing issues. If I hit an on ramp, or off ramp to hard, it'll catch the fender.

BTW, I'm running long tubes as well.

When I get my 18s powdercoated black, I'll raise it up a bit, and call it good.

No pictures as of now, it's on jackstands in the driveway due to some snow. I'll get pics eventually, though probably not till spring. It took me almost and hour to get the entire car on jackstands, it sucked!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
The way my car sits right now, I'd say its approx. 2.5"-3" dropped.

Using a full suspension setup from LG Motorsports, including their coil overs.

It's BARELY driveable down a perfectly even street. If there is a crown in the road at all, my subframe connectors scraple like a hobby.

Put it this way, to pull into my garage, I have to use a jack. The front gets over the transition from pavement to concrete ok, but at the drivers door, my subframe connectors hit. I have to use a thin *** jack to even get it up in there.

I had to pull off my iForged 18s, to run it like this. I'm on the stock 17" wheels right now, no real rubbing issues. If I hit an on ramp, or off ramp to hard, it'll catch the fender.

BTW, I'm running long tubes as well.

When I get my 18s powdercoated black, I'll raise it up a bit, and call it good.

No pictures as of now, it's on jackstands in the driveway due to some snow. I'll get pics eventually, though probably not till spring. It took me almost and hour to get the entire car on jackstands, it sucked!

Hey thank you for that info, I was pretty much looking for some one like you to comment. Thanks alot, Im think now on somthing like 2.3 drop with GCs and then 17s. I think I should be ok, im going with Mac Mids and making a custom Y pipe to sit as close as possable to the car etc.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:08 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

I hope your local roads are awesome.

Mine are pretty decent, but it's just too low. There's no way I would by a spring/strut setup like this. Way too low. You really limit yourself on where you can go.

I don't take my car out much though. I take it too work every now and then, and that's only 15 minutes away.

I'd rather let it sit around, just to say I have it.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by 02blackws679ta
i was just using an exaggeration to show how bad you'd scrape over **** everytime youre in the car.

but if you've never driven over gravel before, you must not even drive. you dont have to go offroading to run into some, hell there was a **** ton of it on the road today from construction

I have only ever seen gravel localy twice. Once was on the way to a guys house, following him, seen the road turn to gravel, stoped, called him and said no way in **** im driving my car on it. Other time I didnt see it till I was on it, 30ft of it by some construction.

I value my car. The paints perfect ( besides where that molding 'was', gonna get new molding asap ) And its staying that way.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have only ever seen gravel localy twice. Once was on the way to a guys house, following him, seen the road turn to gravel, stoped, called him and said no way in **** im driving my car on it. Other time I didnt see it till I was on it, 30ft of it by some construction.

I value my car. The paints perfect ( besides where that molding 'was', gonna get new molding asap ) And its staying that way.
how exactly do you think gravel is going to hurt your car? especially the little amount i'm talking about.
do your tires stick 6'' outside of your fenders or something? i've got some massive rear tires and i've yet to have any chips/scratches from them flinging rocks/gravel
Old 12-13-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02blackws679ta
how exactly do you think gravel is going to hurt your car? especially the little amount i'm talking about.
do your tires stick 6'' outside of your fenders? i've got some massive rear tires and i've yet to have any chips/scratches from them flinging rocks/gravel
I think the thing missing from the train of thought is SLOWING DOWN.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Two words, rock chips. I dont want them. If I wanted to go 4x4'ing, I would have bought a truck.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Two words, rock chips. I dont want them. If I wanted to go 4x4'ing, I would have bought a truck.
TOUCHE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 227Hawk
I think the thing missing from the train of thought is SLOWING DOWN.
werd...
Old 12-13-2005, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Just get any lowering springs and cut off a coil or so depending on how much they lower. will ride pretty poorly, but anything lowered that much will.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want your car so low, why not just bag it?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:06 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by whatbrown
Just get any lowering springs and cut off a coil or so depending on how much they lower. will ride pretty poorly, but anything lowered that much will.

Well, that's the half assed way to go about it.

Gauranteed, one ride in my car and you'll think differently about the ride. That's the first thing everyone says, until they get a ride in it.

Air bags on Fbods sucks IMO
Old 12-14-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Airbags have their benefits just as much, though. It makes more sense to have air bags and be able to ride as low as you want (I'm not talking slammed, I'm talking like 2 inches lower) and then flick a switch to raise the stance if you're on a shitty road or if you need to go over a railroad crossing or up a driveway. I'd rather do that than have the car scraping everywhere when the road's uneven..
Old 12-14-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meissenation
Airbags have their benefits just as much, though. It makes more sense to have air bags and be able to ride as low as you want (I'm not talking slammed, I'm talking like 2 inches lower) and then flick a switch to raise the stance if you're on a shitty road or if you need to go over a railroad crossing or up a driveway. I'd rather do that than have the car scraping everywhere when the road's uneven..

werd! i was just goin to post sayin bag it. people are bitching sayin that it gives poor performance and **** like that....honeslty how often are you pushin the car's performance everyday???? yeah. and if your drag racing minded 24/7...then why you dropping?! airbag it, adjust your ride height to the roads you are on and be glade you did. i'll eventually do that once money isnt so tight. i'd rather spend the extra money on the airbags instead of fkking things up under the car...
Old 12-14-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, you can't claim airbags ruin performance because if you REALLY needed the right ride height because of performance, chances are you wouldn't be lowering the whole car because of you're 9" rear end (atleast, I've heard of a few people that can't lower due to long tubes and/or rear ends)

Quick Reply: Lowest drop? CUSTOM SPRINGS? or coilovers