Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Headers & Height...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers & Height...

Hey guys, thinkin about how low the car is gonna be after the Eibach Sportline springs are installed, and i def want long tubes...so which of these teams are the best clearance wise? Or somewhat ok, i know it will be low, and a close call- but give me some input.
Kooks,Qtp or SLP... Long tube of course... As for the rest of exhaust: Offroad Y-Pipe of course...cut-outs... and I'm almost positive it will be Borla, if not Loudmouth...
Old 12-22-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Don't get Kooks. You have to grind your power-steering knuckle almost off. The Y-pipe is crimped in the wrong place. And the passenger-side header rests on the frame
Old 12-22-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

kool, so maybe SLP? i mean, i want long term reliability, so thats why i wanted stainless!
Old 12-22-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have pacesetters and im on sportlines i dont have a problem at all. most of the time when i scrape i hit the I-pipe right before it goes over the axle. (I have borla and mine just like darn near every other borla cat back iv seen hangs down a little there) but if your worried about the quality of the header itself i can tell you this that every SLP header iv seen hangs quite a bit lower than my pacesetters.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Dragon
Don't get Kooks. You have to grind your power-steering knuckle almost off. The Y-pipe is crimped in the wrong place. And the passenger-side header rests on the frame
i have never heard anyone unpleased with the kooks is everyone else having this problem?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:11 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MyWs62FaST4u
kool, so maybe SLP? i mean, i want long term reliability, so thats why i wanted stainless!
A lot of people here don't like the SLP LTs. I really like mine, but wouldn't recommend them on a lowered car. My car isn't lowered, so I've not encountered any problems with ground clearance.

This thread will probably get moved to the External Engine forum: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/
Old 12-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Launching!

I had SLP LTs on my 96 TA and that thing sounded mean! It had this "growl" to it. I want to put them on my 02, but I also want to lower it an inch and I hear that is not gonna be a wise move.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MyWs62FaST4u
DO NOT GET SLP you will regret not having any clearance...just as an example, I had SLP long tubes and lowered the car with Eibach pro-kit springs....couldnt make it over anything wothout scrapping the hell out of them(INCLUDING MY OWN DRIVEWAY). I changed to Hooker headers and they were a pipe and a 1/2 more clearance to the ground.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have prokit and kooks with a borla on my car and there was no problem with clearance...not sure what the other guy had to grind off. i like them, they tuck up very nicely.
slp makes a good quality header, but they hang low, so id steer away from them if you are planning on lowering your car.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love pacesetters!!! i have installed every type of header on a ls1 and they are super easy to put in and have really good clearence with the TSP y-pipe
Old 12-23-2005, 05:06 AM
TECH Addict

Kooks is a small company. I got mine on a group buy . . . WORST THING YOU CAN POSSIBLY DUE WITH A SMALL COMPANY.

They were backed up for months . . . when a lot of orders are placed through a small company and people are already waiting for months on headers, quality control goes to ****.

I've been a member on this board longer than everybody that's posted in this thread and I've been on other Forums much longer. I've also been through maaaaaany set-ups on my motor/intake/exhaust/cams yada, yada . . . go with QTP'S or FLP'S.

I am extremely disappointed with the Kooks quality and can't wait to go Turbo on the forged motor I'm getting just so I can change out Headers.

Not knocking anyone in this thread, just offering important information concerning a $1200 purchase . . . when you consider y's too.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

The SLPs are a no-no on a lowered car, here is a pic of mine. 2000 T/A SLP longtubes and y-pipe with Hotchkis springs, the y-pipe is the lowest hanging part but the headers scrap badly to if you are not carefull.

Old 12-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Ouch! That's low! I thought that plastic piece on the WW Air Dam was bad...

Quick Reply: Headers & Height...