Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

GM collision dept. won't repaint my hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM collision dept. won't repaint my hood

I own a very nice 99 TA WS6, 35,000 miles, black. The only problem with it is that the hood has very bad oxidation. The oxidation is so bad in places, that the clear coat has actually flaked off.

I took my vehicle to my local chevy collision repair shop (Fort Walton Beach, Florida) last week to get the hood and headlights repainted. They quoted me $450. I dropped the car off with them for about two days. In the middle of the week GM called me to come and pick up my car. According to their representive, the hood was beyond the repair capabilities of their shop. The dude told me that he could just repaint over the damage, but it would look like crap in a year. I was very appreceiative (sp), but now I'm still without a painted hood.

I guess my question is, where do I need to go for the repainting? What should I look for in a paint shop, and how much have you guys/girls been charged for similar jobs? Also, is this a common problem with GM black paint and could it be warrantied?

Thanks

Kyle
Old 12-25-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

well oxidation can be buffed out to be honest with you. But if your clear is cracking then obviously youll need a repaint. the hood is fiberglass so unless the repair is calling for a crack of some sort to be re-fiberglassed, and all you need is it repainted then i dont see anyreason for them to tell you they cant do it. I dont understand what is damaged that if they repaint over it it will look like **** in a year. So that right there would tell me something is wrong with the hood. Id take it to another shop and see what they say. Pricing for a repaint on my front bumper is going to cost about 375 so 450 is high but its not that bad. I doubt GM will warranty the paint.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

actually gm has to warrenty paint agianst bad workman shop and defects. I think it's ten years but I'm not sure ezactly. gm was sued big time over there bad paint work in the 80's and even some of those car's are getting painted today if the owners push teh issue a little. I'm not sure if your problem is cause of factory work but if it is you should be doing some pushing here.

Quick Reply: GM collision dept. won't repaint my hood