Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Interior Water leak

Old 12-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Water leak

The last couple days we have had heavy winds and around 2 inches of rain here. I go out to my car to find about a 1/2 gallon of water behind the passenger seat. Ttop seals are all good, never leaks or gets wet when I wash it. The car is parked so that the front passenger side is the lowest btw. All my seals look good, and there is no water (not a drop) on anything else in the car other than this area. No wet door panels, seats, drips, nothing. It's absolutely infuriating. It almost looks as if it is bubbling out of the floor underneath the seat.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

If it hasnt happened previously I'd say its as simple as the door, T-top or hatch wasnt closed all the way. To double check, have someone sit inside the car and run a hose over all the area's you think a leak could come from. If nothing happens, its probably a false alarm and make sure everything's closed off before the next big rainstorm.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:57 PM
Teching In

I hope it's just a one-time thing. I actually think it is the passenger side t-top, as I saw a drop of water fall from its rear corner (where the ttop plastic meets the plastic mount). God help me if it's coming from underneath the door or something. I'm gonna buy a car cover tomorrow.

BTW I've heard about interior drain plugs - where are they located?
Old 12-31-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't there a plug on the floor board ?
Old 12-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Teching In

I've heard of one, but when I look in the car it doesn't jump out at me. It must be under the rear seat or something.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Launching!

This happened to me almost everytime it rained in my TA. Tried alot of stuff to get it to quit but ended up just being sure to have a large towel on the floor when I know it was going to rain. Especially in summer, on a hot day you would get that funk smell. I also had a problem with water leaking through the passenger firewall gromet, but thats cause I had stereo wires and NOS line running through it.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Fiery Features Director

This happened to me for almost a year before I pulled out the water hose and decided to find out where it is coming from. The water would always puddle up in my back passenger floor board, so I assumed t-tops. The water isn't coming from the t-tops. It is coming from the weatherstripping over the door. After a while, the doors will start to sag and if you look at the rear part of the glass there is a lip where the weatherstripping hangs over. On my car, the door no longer hugs that lip unless I hold up on the door while closing it. If you want to find the leak, put someone inside the car while you slowly go over the seams of the door with a water hose. Don't spray it too heavy and be patient.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Teching In

I drove it for an hour in heavy rain, no drips. Carpet is still slightly damp, however, and now I'm noticing water in the same places again. It is literally coming up out of the floor. All door seals look good, so I guess I'll check under the hood where I ran my subwoofer power next.

Edit: Checked plug under rear seat, was fine. Pulled it and let out some water. Padding under carpet is soaked. Water is washing around underneath it. There has to be a clogged weephole or something somewhere, it's the only thing that makes sense.

2nd Edit: When I ran my wiring for my subs & slp fanswitch, I just stuck it through this hole here ->

http://home.comcast.net/~zx1100e5/pics/02_grommet.jpg

I can look through this hole and see the inside of the car - should I put some silicon on it or something?

Last edited by hooper2; 01-01-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hooper2
I drove it for an hour in heavy rain, no drips. Carpet is still slightly damp, however, and now I'm noticing water in the same places again. It is literally coming up out of the floor. All door seals look good, so I guess I'll check under the hood where I ran my subwoofer power next.

Edit: Checked plug under rear seat, was fine. Pulled it and let out some water. Padding under carpet is soaked. Water is washing around underneath it. There has to be a clogged weephole or something somewhere, it's the only thing that makes sense.
Check the weathergaurd behind the interior door panel, if anyone has been in the door and left it loose or off all together this will cause a leak that is allmost impossible to find. What happens is the rain will run behind the belt moulding or felt channel on the glass and drip onto the inner door structure, regulator, speaker ect. and drip/splash through the holes in the door frame. it will then seep from behind the interior panel and puddle between the door frame and weatherstrip until it gets high enough "1/4" or so" to run over into the floor board.

I do body work for a living and have seen this several times. It usually takes a pretty good amount of rain and usually over a couple of days to soak the floor. My first encounter with this was a nightmare, it took three different times and a pissed off customer to finally find the leak.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Alright, I'll check that next time it happens. It doesn't seem to be leaking currently (however the carpet is still moist dammit), and as far as I can see everything else inside is dry as a bone.

I'll check the heater core as well, since all this leaking happened after I'd been running the defroster 24/7.

Edit: No water! Which is insane, because before I had gallons of it. I parked facing slightly uphill, and before the monsoon hit I made sure the t-tops were on correctly and all the windows were up tight. However, I haven't checked beneath the rear seats or in the t-top holes in the trunk. I'm thinking i have a leak in the hatch.

2nd Edit: Still water under rear seat cushion, but I'm not sure if it's new or it was there before. Water actually feels warm for some reason.

Last edited by hooper2; 01-02-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior Water leak