Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting Interior Peices (Advice Wanted)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Interior Peices (Advice Wanted)

I've decided that my boring interior will be no more, to go along with a long list of upcoming mods, I'm going to paint some interior peices. Such as my side panels, trim, arm rest, etc. Money isn't a big issue since I've been saving up, but I want paint that's going to look great if I do it myself, I don't want to take it to an auto body place and have them paint it.

I've done some research, but am still deciding on a color. I'm thinking either Red, or black to match my car. And I want it to be fairly glossy of course. Basically I'm looking for the best methods, products, and any and all advice. I will probably do this next month, when I plan on taking 3-4 days off work to work on my car.

*Pics would be great as well.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you doin this w/ spraypaint or a gun?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do black. Red would be a little overpowering.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get good results with spray paint, but of course a spray gun will look better. I would recommend thoroughly cleaning and sanding any parts you will be spraying.

Remember that if your prepared surface looks crappy so will the paint, start with a low grit sandpaper to get all that ugly *** texture off and work up to like a 600 grit.

Get a good coat of your color then I would put a coat of clear or two over that...wet sanding in between coats is up to you but it will look smoother if you do.

I personally like red and black and will be redoing many of the red pieces in my car this spring to make them glossier.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I personally dont like interior painting. Have u thought about carbon fiber? It might be a nice touch. I agree with the above guy who said red might be too bold. A glossy black might be a good choice too. Let us know how it turns out
Old 01-12-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackEcho
I personally dont like interior painting. Have u thought about carbon fiber? It might be a nice touch. I agree with the above guy who said red might be too bold. A glossy black might be a good choice too. Let us know how it turns out
I completely agree. It almost never turns out right in my opinion. I would second the Carbon Fiber Idea.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

just take your time and its all in the prep work on how well it turns out. I worked on my knee bolster for a week straight, and its still not 100% perfect, but the quality of the paint came out pretty dang good in my opinion.

PS - I know people don't like my color combinations, get over it and keep this thread on topic.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Banned

Just remember with painting, the more time and effort you put into it the better it will look! I don't think there is anything wrong with interior painting as long as it is done in good taste! Nothing wrong with a lil customization!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice and pics guys, I really like the red. But I think it may be a little bold, I've always been more of a fan of dark interiors, and I plan on doing Red seat covers with black embroidering, so it may be too much Red if most of my interior is red. I've wanted to do the painting, because it's fairly cheap, and something pretty unique in my opinion, a lot of people don't customize there interior to that extent, and I think the Camaro interior, stock... is lacking in many areas. I plan on taking a lot of time on it, removing peice by peice, and doing it. Sanding everything down really nice, putting a nice black coat on, and a couple coats of clear. I can probably track down a paint gun, but I might end up doing spray. Haven't decided yet, any more advice and pics would be awesome :-).
Old 01-13-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Regular

My interior, except for seats, is now entirely finished. My cardomain is in the sig, every piece of charcoal plastic/vinyl is now black, headliner is black, carpet is black, everything. The most important step in the entire process is prep. Though it sometimes will strip a small amount of the factory dye, rubbing alcohol is gauranteed to thoroughly clean the surface to be painted. And if you paint your steering wheel, it IS possible (with a leather/soft vinyl paint) to have it adhere...but I'd recommend you actually sand your steering wheel circle, not the center, with 1000ish grit sandpaper. It creates the necessary roughness for adhesion. By the way, the best paint for hard plastic is Krylon Fusion--nothing else comes close.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Launching!

HVLP is the only way to go.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn HVLP! i wish i didnt sell my gun now
Old 01-13-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

here's a little write up i did when i painted my interior with a gun...regardless of what you use, the prep is basically the same. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1514584/3
Old 01-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned

Here are my before, during, after pics!
BEFORE

DURING.....lol

AFTER

I need to get some better pics, and still trying to find an some stuff for the radio and hvac that need to be replaced!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems that either people are becoming more accepting of painted interiors or are learning to keep their mouths shut if they have nothing nice to say
Old 01-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Launching!

If done right...i don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. It's the rattle can jobs along with bad prep that give it a bad name. Even if done right i'm sure some still consider it tacky. Anyone ever see the Magnaflow commercial where Mario Andretti gets in his vette and races his neighbor out of there driveways? The whole center console was painted.

Last edited by FloridaZ; 01-13-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

every interior ive painted ive always wiped everything down with rubbing alchohol, works really good to get off all the grease and what not, and the best part is its real cheap..thats just my 2cents
Old 01-19-2006, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

I'm looking to do this as well. I was thinking about doing red as well since my car is black and red but the pics I see above are a tad bold for me. Now I'm not too sure what I wanna do.

Quick Reply: Painting Interior Peices (Advice Wanted)