Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front end bras experiances

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front end bras experiances

I like to take my TA to car shows all over the state on the weekends in the summer. The problem is that after about 1 hr of driving to the car show, I have a lot of bug guts I have to try to wipe off before judging. I was thinking that purchasing a bra would eliminate the need to spend so much time scraping the remnants of bugs off of the front bird and bumper. I understand that the overall concesus is not to use one, but I was going to use the bra for hours at a time. I was planning to clean the car the night before the show, put the bra on, drive to the show, then remove the bra and proceed to detail the car.

How would you rate of each brand that you have worked with? How about some feed back from anyone who has used a bra in the past; any make, any model is accepted.

I was looking at a Colgans, Covercraft, GM, or Perfect bra.

Thanks for your time.
Chris
Old 01-13-2006, 04:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i wouldnt do it, taking the cover on and off might cause small scrathces, also i had a friend with one and driving on the freeway and such, caused the cover to flap a lil in the wind and scratch his paint.

so i say no. get a good wax/polisher on there first, then drive
Old 01-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Launching!

I have a colgan bra for my T/A...I use it on trips..it is so well made and tight fitting so it fits like a glove. The thing is extensively padded (10x better that a "le bra" I had for a previous car) that it does not hurt or scratch my paint. My car is white so one could easily observe if it would rub into the paint. I have used it for several long 15 hr trips with no problems. It is worth having...love bug season thru alabama is a bicth, not to mention road grime and rock chips. Colagan bras even come with pieces for you mirrors. Its a 5 piece set, bumper,lights and mirrors.

Rick
Old 01-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Teching In

I have a Colgans bra on my 2000 TA that I use all the time to prevent the bug crap from collecting. It's got a nice inside (underneath) soft pad that prevents scratching. I have had no problems at all with it. I usually do a good wax job before I put it on. Not sure what problems are supposed to happen with a bra, but I sure don't have any.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same here got the Colgans for my SS...looove it. Put it on before a long trip and take it off when I'm there. If it gets wet let it dry out and your gooood to gooooooooooo
Old 01-13-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

I also have a Colgan bra for my SS. There is always a lot of gravel on Wyoming roads, so a bra is a "must have" to go anywhere. Make sure you keep it clean on the inside and keep the paint well protected (Zaino or whatever you use). It's a whole lot easier than always having to touch up the paint.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have one that was provided by the previous owner. There are spots in front of the wheels where there is a grayish haze on the black paint. I don't know exactly what caused it. Maybe it got really hot in the sun or it is moisture-related. Either way, I put it on if I go on long freeway trips. I do them about once a month. The bra will go on/off the car probably no more than 12 times a year.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also have the Colgan.It fits very tight. You will hear alot of negative things about them, but I didnt want the front of the car full of bugs and chips.I remove before washing and I pull it off every other week just to check things out. The hawk doesnt get driven in bad weather, so I have no complaints about the Bra.Best investment I made for protecting the front. I was told on another club site about scratches and paint fade, but my car is kept out of the bad weather, including the sun. My other transam has the paint chips from not having a bra.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a colgan bra for my 99 TA never had an issue padded very well fit's like a glove, I also have a colgan bra for my Camaro again lot's of padding and fit's like a glove.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Here is another option, a lot of the C6 vette owners run with bras, but hate the look, so they found this stuff by 3M, they make a clear "plastic" bra. It's not plastic per say, but it's a tough clear material that sticks to the front. It is easily removed, and won't harm the paint when removed. I've seen it in person it's almost impossible to see, the shine is 98% identical to the shine of the paint. I would look into it, i'll try and find the link.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Clear plastic is still gonna get covered in bug juice & still need to be cleaned when arriving.

I too, have a Colgan. Fits tight, no markings after several uses on long trips only.
I do the exact same thing you had mentioned in your first post Chris. Sure saves a lot of work when arriving at an event.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Guy2626c
Here is another option, a lot of the C6 vette owners run with bras, but hate the look, so they found this stuff by 3M, they make a clear "plastic" bra. It's not plastic per say, but it's a tough clear material that sticks to the front. It is easily removed, and won't harm the paint when removed. I've seen it in person it's almost impossible to see, the shine is 98% identical to the shine of the paint. I would look into it, i'll try and find the link.
Is this what you are talking about? http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/xpel3mpainpr.html
Old 01-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Launching!

that is exactly what i'm talking about. They love it, and you could use a generic bug and tar remover on it. Don't put an ugly bra on it. This isn't a mini-van or some ugly 80's POS trying to hide the rust.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry but I prefer the bra.Some cars look good with them and some cars do not. Opinions vary, and if you like the clear plastic over the bra, thats fine. Like I told some guys on another club site (club gtp) the bra was put on to slow the hawk down I guess they figured it out. Thanks anyway.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
Is this what you are talking about? http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/xpel3mpainpr.html

YESS!!! Does anyone have pics?

i agree that stuff is great, just when it goes around curves it has to be cut and the lines are visible...

Also, can we get sheets of that to custom make pieces for the rocker panels etc..?
Old 01-14-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tried to find pictures, but had no luck.There are alot of cars that use the film, according to the different club sites. One guy is on here known as Csxfbird, but I could not see his pictures. However there are different places you can check other than Afterthoughts..Watch out for the price, some places are high.

http://www.clearbra.net/
http://www.stickercity.com/store/cus...ion=scclearbra
http://www.invinca-shield.com/
http://www.xpel.com/products/configu...&submodel=1474
Old 01-15-2006, 07:13 AM
PSJ
On The Tree

I used a bra on a black car for years....

Before you install the bra....

Wax the hell out or the front of the car....And keep it waxed !....

If the bra gets wet....Remove it and let it air dry....Don't let it dry while on the car if at all possible....

Remember....If the car gets even a little dirty....And it rains....some of that dirty water will get behind the bra....

So keep the bra washed on the inside !....

I know that bra's ugly and uncool....

But when on the highway....Your using them for " Protection " not as an appearance upgrade....

PSJ aka Marc

Old 06-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Default stretchy

My dad has a stretchy bra for one of his corvettes. It kinda looks like panty hose, but it is a lot thicker and tougher. They make it in all colors. It's kinda translucent when you stretch it over the front, but it does a good job of protecting the paint. I'll ask him to see where he got it from because I want to get one for my SS as well.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Blue painters tape!
Old 06-22-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EdwardL
Blue painters tape!

LOL the bad thing about this is i have seen a few cars on here with this done and i have yet to see it in person though that tape is pretty strong so i guess it would work ok and look decent as long as you kept it straight and all i guess ........

Quick Reply: Front end bras experiances