Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do You Power Wash Your Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do You Power Wash Your Car?

Maybe the search function is a little screwed right now, but I cannot find a thread on this topic.

Anyway, do you guys power wash your cars at all - common belief is that it is really bad for the finish - any pro's out there with an opinion?
Old 01-15-2006, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pressure wash my car with my own pressure washer. I turn the nozzle to where the pressure is real light. I don't really know if it hurts the finish... I'm sure if you hold it 2 inches from the car it would take off the clear coat with ease...
Old 01-15-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Only thing I pressure wash on my car is the wheelwells and under the car. Everything else I leave to a washmit and a claybar.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

As long as you don't get it within 1-2 inches from he car it wont hurt anything IMO. I use also my own electric power washer. It works great to clean the under the wheel wells.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

IF I wash mine at a power wash, I usually don't, but for the initial spray to get the car wet all the way to rinsing the car off, I always use "FINAL RINSE". It's a lighter pressure when you pull the trigger. I've always heard that the regular RINSE is too damn high and will push the dirt and grime into the finish and scratch it up. The grime turns into very small pieces of sandpaper and you will just blast them right in. I prefer the two bucket method. One for suds, other for rinsing the mitt so you don't contaminate the suds with dirt and crud.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen one guy's thread where he was doing his wheel wells and slipped and powerwashed the paint right off the fender right at the bottom.

Oh, and PS -- the search function is definitely screwed (or atleast was) I tried yesterday to search for my own threads and it kept saying that it couldn't find any threads.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Body of the car, NEVER! I power wash the under carriage and wheel wells of needed.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

i love mine too much to do such a thing...

why would you do that?????????
Old 01-15-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Got too, ..., in order to get the mud off from the gravel roads, ...
Old 01-15-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I use the power washer at the car wash, I just keep it about a foot away. The paint looks great for a 2002.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

I use it every once and a while on my black SS and i can garauntee my paint is as perfect as any camaro that rolled off the line. I bet you wont find a fine scratch even in direct sunlight.

Using a mitt and a bucket allows the dirt to be 'ground' into the paint surface when wiping it down.

Just dont be dumb about it, keep the wand quite aways from the paint. Use a Blower to dry it (make sure the inlet air is filtered)
Old 01-15-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
i love mine too much to do such a thing...

why would you do that?????????

a big on that! iv done it to my camaro a few times and i felt guilty... the TA has yet to experience the torture of a preasure washer.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Get ready for this

I take my car to the automatic car wash.

I pull up. Get out, hot little chick comes up, asks me what I want, I say "coral please"

She gets in, gets right back out and yells "its a stick!" as if a call to anyone their that can drive stick. They take my baby, drive it up on a convayor belt, pull it down the line, I walk slowly down the hall that runs parallel to the washer, and watch every thing, fun. I get into the lounge, pay, and walk out and watch the people dry it, giving them the "ya missed a spot" type things. I get it, drive home, and then finish: Clay bar, wax, polish, what ever it needs.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

I've hand-washed mine once using the two-bucket method. I found that once the RINSE bucket gets all the dirt in it, it doesn't really rinse the mit off anymore than it would just sticking the mit back in the soapy bucket. I only handwash mine when I'm gonna do it with dish soap before I clay-bar it(once or twice a year)...other than that, I wash it at the car wash and keep the wand at LEAST 2ft. away and never spraying it directly at it...always an angle.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

****, nothing like a good power wash after driving in the snow!

but if my car wasnt silver and hid scratches easy, i probably wouldnt power wash it
Old 01-16-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I accidently power washed my finger once... it hurt like a SOB and left a mark.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
I accidently power washed my finger once... it hurt like a SOB and left a mark.

I powerwash my car, I got sick & tired of the carwash place that I went to cuz the towels that they use caused swirlmarks on it, so now when I wash my car I go to the self wash place, wet the car, get that soapy brush & put a layer of soap on the windows, I scrub the windows with the soapy brush and then I lift the brush & pass it over the car so the suds can get on the hood, front & rear, and THEN I put on my mitts & GENTLY wash my car and then power-rinse it. I keep the power-rinse at LEAST 2 feet away from the car, and rarely do I spray directly onto the car...

It's worked for me so far
Old 01-16-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

I've never power washed any of my cars. I don't think it's too good on the finish. I hand wash everything, takes longer but I think it's worth it.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MountainMotor
I've never power washed any of my cars. I don't think it's too good on the finish. I hand wash everything, takes longer but I think it's worth it.
So you think it's better to grab a sponge or whatever, & simply rub the grime into the paint first?!? And then rinse away the residue, ..., I imagine you try to spray away any big chunks first?

I don't know what is right, I'm just thinking out loud, ...

My black car hardly ever gets that dirty, so it's always a CA-Duster first, then a cleansing with Z6 to start.

But I have used a power-spray car wash by hand on it before. Just keep a good distance back as to not damage anything.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Jesus! how come someone says using a power washer could damage the paint?? I mean, use common sense for Christ sakes!!! Do you honestly think that the clear coat finish could be so vulnerable?? I hope some are not thinking of power washers that put out 3000 to 3500 pounds right?? A common electric power washer is mostly 1000 to 1500 pounds, some could reach 2000 pounds but come on!! Do you also believe in witches and that the moon is made of cheese??? LOL!!

If the car has paint flaking out that, of course, is another story.

Quick Reply: Do You Power Wash Your Car?