Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing Water Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Water Temp Gauge

Not exactly sure how to this. Can you tap into the exsisting sending unit or do you have to drill and tap the supplied sending unit that came w/ the gauge (Autometer)? I would like to keep the stock one going along w/ the aftermarket gauge. I sure you can but I don't have a clue how. Just started to work on my wifes new '99 TA WS6 and she has to have some gauges! Just not used to these motors yet.

TIA,
Old 01-22-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

There is a plug on the rear of the pass. side head that you can remove and install the sending unit into. There is an adapter that you have to use b/c the threads are different. Not sure what size though.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is also a plug above the starter in the block on the passenger side. You need to remove the starter to get to it. You will need an M16x1.5 adapter if you are going to use this hole. It's much easier to get to than the passenger side head location.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the tips. Man, I thought this would be easier but I guess not.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

How much room is there above the starter for the sending unit? I'm going to get a water temp. gauge pretty soon and am going to go which ever route is easier. On the '69 it was no problem getting to the pass. side head plug, don't think I even knew about the one above the starter.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS69TA
How much room is there above the starter for the sending unit? I'm going to get a water temp. gauge pretty soon and am going to go which ever route is easier. On the '69 it was no problem getting to the pass. side head plug, don't think I even knew about the one above the starter.
There is a plethora of room. The starter is an easy two bolts to remove. Then the plug comes out with an 8mm allen wrench I believe. A TON of coolant will come out as this is a coolant drain plug for the block. Have come catch buckets ready.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Teching In

not trying to jack your thread, but is the stock water temp sending unit (in the front of the passenger head) used for engine diagnostics or the pcm ie. electric fan control. cause if not. could you just use that hole if your no longer using the stock gauge cluster.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Holy 5-year thread bump I found the easiest way is to do a TB bypass and install the sending unit in there. I went to he hardware store and bought a brass "T" fitting. Use 2 barbed hose ends to do the TB bypass, and use the 3rd port to install your sending unit. The water coming from those steam crossovers is going to be about as hot as you'll see. Just install a self-tapping screw and a wire/terminal on the back side with some pipe sealant to and run your ground wire somewhere close to the TB. I had mine hidden under the bellows and had a ziptie around it and it blended in perfectly. If I can still find the pic I'll post it up later. But that way you do the TB bypass and install your temp sending unit all in one process.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Name:  tbbypass.jpg
Views: 3836
Size:  21.0 KB

Small blue wire towards center is the ground wire and on the left is the electric sending unit. I added vacuum caps onto the TB where the coolant lines entered/exited to plug them off.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

7 year bumb ive actually tried this before and didn't seem to read as hot as it actually was
Old 10-23-2018, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Crysis
7 year bumb ive actually tried this before and didn't seem to read as hot as it actually was
I remember mine reading slightly higher than the gauge in the dash. Been a few years though.

Quick Reply: Installing Water Temp Gauge