Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Firebird Door Panels in Camaro - Question

Old 01-23-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firebird Door Panels in Camaro - Question

OK, I've got a set of brand new black door panels from a Firebird/TA/Formula that I am looking into putting into my Camaro (always like the look better) and I have a question on the switchs and switch bezels.

GM parts direct only list one pn for each switch and bezel, so I assume they are all the same color on all the cars from the factory.

The switches I have are light grey in color and the bezels are a darker shade, however not quite as dark as the surrounding (new) door panels.

My question is this - is this normal for all Firebirds/TA's/Formulas ? Are the Bezels always a lighter color ? I'm ok with the grey switches, but I don't think the bezels look good at all. I'm wondering if maybe the bezels I have are just faded or something ?

If anyone could post pics or links to their panels so I could see the switch contrast, I would appreciate it greatly.

I searched and searched for the thread about doing this exact conversion, but could not find it for anything, if anyone has the link to that I would appreciate it also !

Thanks guys .
Old 01-23-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TRex
OK, I've got a set of brand new black door panels from a Firebird/TA/Formula that I am looking into putting into my Camaro (always like the look better) and I have a question on the switchs and switch bezels.

GM parts direct only list one pn for each switch and bezel, so I assume they are all the same color on all the cars from the factory.

The switches I have are light grey in color and the bezels are a darker shade, however not quite as dark as the surrounding (new) door panels.

My question is this - is this normal for all Firebirds/TA's/Formulas ? Are the Bezels always a lighter color ? I'm ok with the grey switches, but I don't think the bezels look good at all. I'm wondering if maybe the bezels I have are just faded or something ?

If anyone could post pics or links to their panels so I could see the switch contrast, I would appreciate it greatly.

I searched and searched for the thread about doing this exact conversion, but could not find it for anything, if anyone has the link to that I would appreciate it also !

Thanks guys .
I think you will have to either buy some used black bezels or you will have to buy the new bezels and paint them. I believe GM for the most part tends to only make new parts in one color and you have to paint them to match. I know a lot of the parts that you can buy now come in graphite and have to be painted to match.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, started on this project and it looks like my bezels are in fact black once I wiped off the dust

Now I have a different problem. The door panels won't fit properly because the speakers are hitting the back side of the panel. This has me wondering if the Firebird speakers are mounted differently. The new panels are the Monsoon panels with the separate tweeter, and my camaro speakers don't really line up with the speaker grills on the door panels, they are about 2" too far forward. I'm wondering if Firebirds are different.

Would anyone be willing to pop out their speaker grill and send me a photo of the speaker and mounting underneath the panel (the grill just pops off and and easily pops back in).

Thanks in advance for any help provided !
Old 02-01-2006, 03:02 PM
FormerVendor

It probably isn't the speakers, they should fit flush in the door. There will be 2 pieces on the door where the camaro door handle screwed into. Cut them off with a grinder or a tool of your choice. That will let the TA panel fit nicely.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bezels are all the same color (ebony/black) all the ABS pieces but the buttons are the same color in my car.

My brother's are a charcoal color and they match the rest of the interior perfectly.

My old 94 matched lol ... I guess something is up with yours.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VSGLS1
It probably isn't the speakers, they should fit flush in the door. There will be 2 pieces on the door where the camaro door handle screwed into. Cut them off with a grinder or a tool of your choice. That will let the TA panel fit nicely.
It's not the door handle screw mounts, I've already taken care of those. Here are some pictures showing the misalignment. In the third one you can clearly see the boss that the the map pocket mounts to on the panel interfering with the speaker.

Is what it looks like on the Firebirds ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Firebird Door Panels in Camaro - Question