Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To people who got their car painted and changed the color without gutting the car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To people who got their car painted and changed the color without gutting the car...

I'll be getting my car painted as soon as it's warm enough, and I'm still debating on what I want to do about the color. So my question is, if you changed the color of your car without gutting it (meaning without removing EVERYTHING from the car), did you regret it? If yes, did you wish you either would have gutted it or just left it the same color? If no, please post some pictures of your car and engine compartment.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

bump.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Launching!

It annoys me to see cars with different color door jams and under the hood. Saw a yellow 4th gen once and though it was awesome...until he opened the door ...it used to be red
Old 01-24-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastTrackDF82
It annoys me to see cars with different color door jams and under the hood. Saw a yellow 4th gen once and though it was awesome...until he opened the door ...it used to be red
I don't understand that one. I know you can take it to the paint shop without gutting it and they should still be able to paint the inside of the doors and trunk/hatch area. As well as the engine compartment -as best they can with engine still in place.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

From what I got from my cousin's wife, the guy that will be painting my car (her dad) will be taking off the ground effects and bumpers and he will be painting the door jams and I think she said the engine compartment too. She said that I wouldn't be able to tell it was red if I change the color, but me being somewhat of a perfectionist makes me nervous about changing the color, and that's why I asked. I know every painter does his work differently but I still wanted to hear other people's experiences with changing the color like that.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98boxer
I don't understand that one. I know you can take it to the paint shop without gutting it and they should still be able to paint the inside of the doors and trunk/hatch area. As well as the engine compartment -as best they can with engine still in place.
I should have expanded my comment a little. You dont need to gut a car in order to get the car a "complete" looking color change. No reason to pull the interior to have the inside compartment painted....you dont see it anyway. Its nice...but very expensive and time consuming. There are those select few who want the quick Macco special and leave the door jams and under the hood the original color. That is where my first post came from. Any I apologize 91 RS I havent really answered your question....when I had my car painted w/o gutting it I didnt regret it.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

It's no big deal. What color was your car originally and what color did you go to?
Old 01-24-2006, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

mine was originally red but had it done two tone black and red( no insults plz...if you done like it think of it this way its not your car get over it) n e ways had the engine glossed black and under the hood red ...and it is a darker color red than factory...but i havent once regreted it and the trophies are a good reason why its done good
Old 01-24-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98boxer
My 94 was a black to silver conversion.... the body guy took the time to fill it all in. The door jams and top fenders in the engine compartment looked great you couldn't even tell. He didn't gut it, just moved stuff around and had a nice dry place to work. He took the hatch off to paint the underside of it and in the drains on the rear quarters. If you get someone that knows what they are doing it shouldn't be a big deal no matter what color you pick.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:27 PM
FormerVendor

I was swapping my motor and interior at the same time as I was going to paint, so I didn't care. It was stripped. You can not tell my car was black at one point.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine color changed from red to cadillac diamond white pearl and did no stripping. The guy did a great job of filling in the door jams and even underneath the hatch area. Only thing that was noticable was the engine bay. But GMR speed has kindly addressed that one when they had my motor dropped out while they were building the new one.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
I had mine color changed from red to cadillac diamond white pearl and did no stripping. The guy did a great job of filling in the door jams and even underneath the hatch area. Only thing that was noticable was the engine bay. But GMR speed has kindly addressed that one when they had my motor dropped out while they were building the new one.

I always wanted to see that color on a F-body PLEASE post pics!!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02Firehawk#614
I always wanted to see that color on a F-body PLEASE post pics!!
Yes, please!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so yall think it's looking ok to not just gut it all out and paint it then, awsome, wanting to change my silver to a more metalic silver.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

When I finally repaint my car its going to be the same color, maybe with more mettallic. At least that way I wont have to worry about jambs, interior, and all that jazz, should be cheaper too.

Quick Reply: To people who got their car painted and changed the color without gutting the car...