Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Door hinge question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door hinge question

Has anyone replaced a door hinge on their car? My drivers door has worn grooves into the lower bushing that keeps the door open and now makes a loud shreek when you open it. I have been dealing with it for a while but i see it putting come pressure on the body where the hinge bolts to and do not want it to cause any further damage. I dont know if I need to replace the whole hinge or just that upper bushing. I think if the fender comes off it would be easy to access. Is it easy to pull the fender off?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by THE CHOP SHOP
Has anyone replaced a door hinge on their car? My drivers door has worn grooves into the lower bushing that keeps the door open and now makes a loud shreek when you open it. I have been dealing with it for a while but i see it putting come pressure on the body where the hinge bolts to and do not want it to cause any further damage. I dont know if I need to replace the whole hinge or just that upper bushing. I think if the fender comes off it would be easy to access. Is it easy to pull the fender off?
Have the exact same problem, did you ever find a solution? (Im hoping the single pin can be replaced)...
Old 06-14-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dang I almost forgot about this post. No I still am trying to figure out what to do. I have not been opening my door all the way just about half way and it does not make any noise on me and I think it is at least maintaining its integrity. I have been to the junk yards looking at hinges and they have been really bad. I have not inquired at the dealership and have thought of buying a used hinge but after seein ones at the junk yards i think i should attempt to rebuild mine. If i find more guidence I will tackle the job but right now like i said i have not been opening the door all the way.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Alright...

I was looking at it yesterday, trying to rotate it to the "good side" and hoping it would stay there, but couldnt get it to turn (believe I need to compress the spring and then turn it), my other side door is like new though.

I cant find the pin anywhere, looks like it needs a whole new hinge (dont want to do that)... I was thinking if the pin can be punched out somehow and then either have a new one made at a metal shop, or try welding up the grove and grinding it down...

First need to see if the pin can be punched out.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same problem! i just keep grease on it lol untill i move then i wil ldrop it off at a body shop and let them deal with it lol
Old 06-19-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah you cant move the pin once the pressure is on it. I actually had it rotate back on me so even opening it partially it creeked and i had to go out and fix it again today so I remembered. What you need to do is push the door position holder up on the bushing (the one that has a groove worn in it) then close the door and it will let the bushing spin. I was able to get a position that was not worn out and did not make the noise. A flat blade screwdriver worked well for me. I dont know if i made this to confusing so if it is I will try to explain more.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by THE CHOP SHOP
Yeah you cant move the pin once the pressure is on it. I actually had it rotate back on me so even opening it partially it creeked and i had to go out and fix it again today so I remembered. What you need to do is push the door position holder up on the bushing (the one that has a groove worn in it) then close the door and it will let the bushing spin. I was able to get a position that was not worn out and did not make the noise. A flat blade screwdriver worked well for me. I dont know if i made this to confusing so if it is I will try to explain more.
I know exactly what you mean, I was trying it with the door open though, but it just would not spin... My only has one area that is worn, so theres a good other side, just gotta get it there and hope it will stay.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Update: Yesterday I got the "roller" on the pin turned and figured Id try filing it, it was going pretty well but I have to get a different size file to shave the top and bottom groves (thats what keeps the noise)... Just wanted to give you guys an update, I was also thinking when I get some Metal-to-metal (aluminum) filler to put some of that on there and let it harden... Lets see though.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:44 PM

My car is doing the exact same thing, but the bushing keeps rotating to the worn position. Any updates on a better fix?

Ben T.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:32 PM

ttt, anyone else?

Ben T.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:11 AM
TECH Resident

I did this fix and it worked for about 3 months and then one day it magically fell/popped back into the groove on the roller. Mine has a bad groove though.

Quick Reply: Door hinge question