Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

people with 5" tach come inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default people with 5" tach come inside

where did you put your tach and light, i cant deside where to put mine.

and do you like where you put it?? thanks

ps its the autometer 5" with the big shift light, thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have one. i put it up on my a-pillar. the reason i put it up there was because i didnt want to put holes in my dashboard. i hear its pretty expensive to fix that due to the matrial it is made of. i have pics of it in my link. check em out
Old 02-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I've seen a few up where the rear view mirror "used" to be.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Launching!

I bought my car with it in the (same tach as you) right to the right of the gauges on the dash. SUCKS!! cant see in front of u in spots my suggestion is to put in on your dash to the left of your gauges right next to the A-pillar. Best place
Old 02-01-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah but the only problem with that is there is nowhere to mount it to the left of the dash. the only place to put it on the left is on the a-pillar. i love it there, you just have to be careful when you turn the wheel hard/fast not to hit it. besides that its great...no visibility issues whatsoever.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Here's mine:

Bryan
parbreak
Old 02-02-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

can you see it entirely? it looks like the wheel may obstruct view of the tach. if it doesnt thats a nice place...especially if you want an a-pillar pod.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nokeman
can you see it entirely? it looks like the wheel may obstruct view of the tach. if it doesnt thats a nice place...especially if you want an a-pillar pod.
It's just the angle the picture was taken at. When you're sitting in the seat
it's completely visible, unless you're 3' tall!!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

Most people I've seen put them on the a-pillars where most of you guys have them. My favorite place is still over top of the three vents on the right side of the drivers seat. Like mentioned earlier though is that you have to leave it there because of the holes in the dash, I'd like to find an easy fix for this but I haven't yet becasue of it all being one piece. I'm getting one soon too and am really debating where to put it.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you ever think about reselling the car, those holes might pose a problem...just a though...
Old 02-04-2006, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

im gonna put it on the bottom of the a pillar, i really dont need to see or read the tach, just the light, i was thinking about extending the wires for the light and putting the light on my steering column... because my speedo dont work, got a turbo 350 and already have that 5" tach...

or put the hole thing there on the steering column if theres room, but i seriously doubt that though..

nice pics by the way
Old 02-16-2006, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Where do you run your wires from behind the tach?
Old 02-16-2006, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DustinSS
Where do you run your wires from behind the tach?
My tach is by the A pillar. I ran the wires under the top of the dash because the connections are all made behind the radio. Also the tach wire is ran through the firewall under the the passenger side dash to the pcm. It's clean install you don't see any wires only about an inch but i used some black plastic cover for it.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Yeah mine's going on the a-pillar too so that is going to work out nicely hopefully I know I need the white #10 wire on the pcm and go through the firewall but do you know what the wires are that I need behind the radio for power, ground, and lights? (99 SS btw) Is it really difficult to get to those wires? Thanks a LOT

P.S. It's autometer 5" tach w/ shift lite.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DustinSS
Yeah mine's going on the a-pillar too so that is going to work out nicely hopefully I know I need the white #10 wire on the pcm and go through the firewall but do you know what the wires are that I need behind the radio for power, ground, and lights? (99 SS btw) Is it really difficult to get to those wires? Thanks a LOT

P.S. It's autometer 5" tach w/ shift lite.
You will have four wires coming from the tach. White,Red,Black (ground) and green. Red wire i spliced into the orange wire in the back of the radio. The white wire i also spliced i think into my fog lights i can't remember the color of the wire it's been a while. The car's in storage so i can't double check for you. I grounded the black wire to a screw that holds my radio into the dash. The green wire you will need to run into you pcm #10 pin my car is a 2001 i believe that differs between years. You can run that wire through a rubber grommet on the passenger side under the glove box. I used a coat hanger and taped the wire to it to get it though. Also you need to have the tach calibrated to a 4cyl all you have to do is clip the blue wire on the back of the tach. This is what i did for a autometer tach. It's not hard to get to these wires at all. All you need to do is pull your radio out and use a small flat head screw driver to push up the top of the dash enough to hide your wires. Very simple.

Quick Reply: people with 5" tach come inside