Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

problems with Z28 emblem removal??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default problems with Z28 emblem removal??

ok today i took my z28 emblems off to put on my Z06 style LS1 emblems..so anyway i took the side ones off with no problem but when i took the back bowtie and z emblem off they pulled right off but they also pulled the paint off with them so i had two big *** areas that were missing paint . Has this happened to anyone else?? Also does anyone have a red tailight panel that they are selling??
Old 02-05-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude all i have to say is that sux and thank god i bought one at a chop shop and took it off to a body shop to get the CAMARO part filled in and painted.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:16 PM
FormerVendor

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you use a heat gun? If so, then that should not have happened. That 3M tape sticks really strong once it's had about 48 hours to bond. Heat makes it more malleable/pliable and therefore it will not pull paint off. Some may end up being left on the car, and you'll have to rub it off with some effort, and then clean the area with alcohol.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dragonZ28
I'm sorry to hear that. Did you use a heat gun? If so, then that should not have happened. That 3M tape sticks really strong once it's had about 48 hours to bond. Heat makes it more malleable/pliable and therefore it will not pull paint off. Some may end up being left on the car, and you'll have to rub it off with some effort, and then clean the area with alcohol.
well the side emblems were stuck on there good with doublesided tape but the back ones just basically fell off and took the paint with it
Old 02-05-2006, 11:27 PM
FormerVendor

It sounds like the paint may not have adhered to the primer correctly. At least you can find that panel for a relatively low price compared to getting it painted. Check eBay maybe?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dragonZ28
It sounds like the paint may not have adhered to the primer correctly. At least you can find that panel for a relatively low price compared to getting it painted. Check eBay maybe?
yeah thats what i am trying to do..i want to find one that is already red but anyway for now i just thru alot of touch-up paint on it and from far away you cant tell its messed up but once you get close
Old 02-05-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Ouch. How did you attempt to take them off? The best method is to use some fishstring to "floss" behind it and break the seal between the adhesive and clear, then go ahead and pull it off.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Ouch. How did you attempt to take them off? The best method is to use some fishstring to "floss" behind it and break the seal between the adhesive and clear, then go ahead and pull it off.
thats basically what i did..with the side ones they came out fine and left some adhesive which is what is supposed to happen but on the back they just feel off and peeled the paint as well
Old 02-05-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
thats basically what i did..with the side ones they came out fine and left some adhesive which is what is supposed to happen but on the back they just feel off and peeled the paint as well
That's unfortunate. Sorry to hear that.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did mine last week or so and it came off easy. You could see where it was but i waxed it out so you couldnt see it

Quick Reply: problems with Z28 emblem removal??