Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting water marks off glass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting water marks off glass?

My car is a 98 and living in Louisiana -- well, it has seen its share of rain. The windows have lots of water spots on them that go away right after I wash it, but come back when it dries. Is there a good way to get these off for good? I miss my nice clear shiny windows

When my mirrors had water spots I used a rubbing compound and polished them a little bit, it worked amazing and made them look brand new. I'm sure this worked because on (camaros atleast) the silvering is on the outside of the mirror, so I polished the silvering and not the glass.

I tried this on a really small spot of my window and it had no effect, so I'm still looking for a solution. I had someone tell me to wax them, but that just seems like a weird thing to do so I thought I'd ask for opinions first.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

i have the same issues and i have tried just about every recommendation on this site with no effect.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

water vinagar and 00 steel wool, will remove water marks/spots, and paint over-spray.. it will NOT scratch glass, ,But keep it away from paint and plastic,
Old 02-07-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use CLR (calcium lime rust) or some sort of bathroom shower cleaner, just be carefull what you get it on. and after that use some sort of protectant

i used a hard surface protectant on the glass, it makes the water bead off of the surfaces drasticly, its pretty cool, after i put it on i poured a glass of water on my windshield and it ALL drained off
Old 02-07-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Bar Keepers Friend..its a powdered cleanser, buy it at wal mart.
Just follow the instructions, if the spots are real bad you will have to do it a couple times, but its good sh#t.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bharnz
water vinagar and 00 steel wool, will remove water marks/spots, and paint over-spray.. it will NOT scratch glass, ,But keep it away from paint and plastic,
I agree with this. Make sure that you use steel wool and not a scotchbrite type pad as these will scratch the glass for sure.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Wouldn't Stoner's Invisible glass and some crumpled up newspaper do the trick as well?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did You Try Claybar?....people Say That It Works On Glass Too,never Tryed On Glass
Old 02-07-2006, 06:54 PM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

this method works the best...
Old 02-07-2006, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

double
Old 02-07-2006, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Whats the mixture ratio? Is there a specific type of water or vinegar to use?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

wizards mist-n-shine....you can buy it at an autobody supply shop, if not its mostly available online...by it self will work magic to get out water marks on any paint surface or glass....after i used their clay bar with it my car it was like the saying smooth as glass but 10 times better...ex: i tried putting the car cover on by myself and after it almost falling on the ground it finally did...there was no friction for it to hold while i attached the bottom....WIZARDS IS GOOD STUFF!!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

a "good" glass cleaner and a razor blade....
Old 02-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AncientRgn
Whats the mixture ratio? Is there a specific type of water or vinegar to use?
Use the white vinegar, the mixture would depend on how much film there is. Start weak and then work up stronger if needed. We had some very hard water in town about 4 years ago, but I cannot remember what we used for a mixture.

edit: dont use a razor blade on glass. If there is anything wrong with the blade it will scratch the glass. The glass will be curved so to get a good contact patch you will have to have dangerous amount of pressure. Not saying that it doesnt work well, just not the best solution.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Quick question. I bought the 0000 steel wool and will try the vinegar/water solution.
Is there a rule of thumb when rubbing (such as when applying wax)? Can I rub in circles or is it only up down/left-right on glass as well?
Thanks.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blueorb
Quick question. I bought the 0000 steel wool and will try the vinegar/water solution.
Is there a rule of thumb when rubbing (such as when applying wax)? Can I rub in circles or is it only up down/left-right on glass as well?
Thanks.
Doesnt much matter , but probably circles would work best, , I never used anything finer than 00 steelwool. I guess 4x0 would work though,
Old 02-08-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used some rubbing and polishing compound on some windows and it did the trick. But since that had no effect give the vinegar water a shot. If that doesn't work, I know you can use a porter cable polisher to buff out glass too.

Let us know how you resolve it either way, good luck
Old 02-08-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I tried the steel wool thing. I didnt have any #00, but I had #0000 so I used that. It wasnt really working well with just that and vinegar, so I put rubbing compound on the window, sprayed it with the mix, and then used the #0000. That worked awesome but it's slow going and a lot of elbow grease. I didnt notice how much of a difference not having water spots on your t-tops makes. Looks 10x better now.

I'm going to go get #00 tonight and I hope that gets the rest off faster, my arm would die if i had to do 2 windows+windshield with 0000 and rubbing compound.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Wouldn't Stoner's Invisible glass and some crumpled up newspaper do the trick as well?
that doesn't work on hardcore water spots, just fresh after a wash water spots. been there done that.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah I didn't realize that he was talking about hard water spots.

Quick Reply: Getting water marks off glass?