Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ugggh zaino fxcked up my ride!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy ugggh zaino fxcked up my ride!

ok so heres the deal.. ive been putting on numerous coats (5) of the zaino swirl remover.. i think its z5.. well this helped alot and the car is almost swirl free.. so im happy with it.

yesterday i put the first coat of the z2.. the pink stuff.. and today i went to buff it off.. and every time i would wipe it off with a clean 100% white cotton towel it would leave swirl marks! the more i buffed it the more the car was covered in swirls!! i can actually see it unfold in front of my eyes.. so after i was done.. the car loooked absolutely horrible! so i put another coat of z5 on it and gonna buff it off tommorw.

i dont understand. whats going on?

i know they say to always end each coat with z2 but do you really have too?

Old 02-16-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

First of all, you can't blame a product for your mistake...

What towels are you using? If you were watching it happen, that means it was coming from whatever you were using.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was it completely dry? i applied too much and when i removed it swirls appeared, that **** need to be dry
Old 02-16-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i used two different towels.. the same towels that i have been using all along.
egytpian 100% cotton.

and yes it was completely dry.. it was on the car for 24 hours. my car is in a garage so there was no dirt or anything on it. this did not happen with teh z5..

im baffled!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

A non-abrasive product cannot cause swirls by itself. The only way you could get swirling from it is during the application and/or removal (ie. towels, contamintation, etc.).

You say it sat for 24 hrs. was there any dust or dirt that settled on it?

How do you care for and store your towels?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there was no dust that settled on it. i made sure of that before i buffed the stuff off.

well i wash em in the washer and dry em in the dryer i guess. the same things ive been doing all along.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to also agree with the towels being of issue. Unless your bottle of zaino got some kind of grit or whatever in it, it has to be the towels your using. Even though you may be using great quality towels, they may be worn out or brittle from the wash. Maintenance of the towels is crucial to keeping from scratching with application and removal or car care products. Also make sure your not rubbing too hard when removing the product from the car. So many times I see people rubbing product off the car like they are trying to rub something serious out. Good luck.

-Brian
Old 02-16-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Properly caring for towels is important.

- Wash on the Hot/Cold setting
- Use Liquid Detergent only w/ no bleach and NO fabric softener
- Add distilled white vinegar to the rinse cycle for added softness and soil release
- Rinse twice
- Dry towels on low heat w/ no fabric sheets
Old 02-16-2006, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

sounds kinda excessive to me, I have always had good results with meg. #7 polish and Hi Tech Yellow Wax, if the car needs to be preped I use a mild cut cleaner and some swirl remover. The meg. pro series stuff is nice.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
sounds kinda excessive to me
What's excessive?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i did my car i used the swirl remover AFTER puting on the polish. every polish will leave swirls so why put polish on after a swirl remover?
Old 02-16-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mellis028
when i did my car i used the swirl remover AFTER puting on the polish. every polish will leave swirls so why put polish on after a swirl remover?
Not every polish leaves swirl marks. When most polishes are used correctly, they will leave a very good finish.

Zaino refers to their products as "polishes," but ZPC is their only abrasive product. So in that case, one would use the ZPC swirl mark remover and then their "polish" (Z5 or Z2 Pro which are actually sealants).
Old 02-16-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i rewashed the towels with liq. detergent and am gonna air dry em.. see what happens. i will update tomorw.

thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Properly caring for towels is important.

- Wash on the Hot/Cold setting
- Use Liquid Detergent only w/ no bleach and NO fabric softener
- Add distilled white vinegar to the rinse cycle for added softness and soil release
- Rinse twice
- Dry towels on low heat w/ no fabric sheets
Wanna come do my laundry?

Amit, if I were you, I'd just go out and buy some new towels! Maybe one buy a new one of the kind you have now and something different, test out two different areas and see what works better! Might be taboo in this thread, but I'm trying my Tropicare Swirl Cutter tommorow! Hopefully it works well!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:12 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for towels...

Here's a tip about buying towels from the store... "100% Egyptian Cotton" doesn't necessarily mean you're going to have a towel that won't scratch your car.. because often times that "Egyptian" cotton means that it's not actually 100% cotton. Or that the fluff of the towel is cotton but the backing isn't. Most of the labels on towels are extremely misleading.

It takes some patience to find good towels in a store, I actually rely on the feel of them... I've bought enough of them that I can tell the difference by feel. The ones I buy say "100% cotton, 100% cotton backing, 100% cotton stitching" and I get them at JC Penney. They aren't cheap... but they don't scratch my car.

Another thing about towels... depending on where you keep them, if they get dust on them between detail jobs, that dust can scratch your car when you're wiping it with those towels also.

What Zaino is doing is making those imperfections in the paint job a little more glaringly obvious... but it's the towels scratching the car, not Zaino.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use the inside of a clean t-shirt and it has given me nothing but perfect results.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

The Z2 did not dry completely and you are just moving it around. Thus when light hits it the reflection looks like swirl marks (happened to me). Take a damp towel and wipe off the zaino and then dry with another towel. I did this per Sal's instructions. I did this under a very bright light (the ones in high school gyms, the big round ones) in my garage. The swirl marks I thought where there where now gone. Just because it sat for 24 hours does not mean the Zaino is dry, depends how much u put on.

Hope this helps, it did for me.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am assuming you are not using ZFX. I would definitely recommend investing into that, it makes it much easier to get more coats on the car. 30 mins of drying time with ZFX is plenty! I usually apply 3 coats at a time as recommended by Zaino.

I also agree with the Egyptian cotton towels being the culprit, that's the first thing I notice when I read your post. I have been using Royal Velvet Fieldcrest towels from Dillards, expensive at 20 bucks a piece, but so far they worked out pretty well. I am now switching to tropic care Microfiber towels. Gonna order them and give them a whirl.

Lastly, I also agree with Tom that you might be pushing the Zaino around. I don't think it was the lack of drying time since you said you left it on there for 24 hours, I just think you used too much. I used less than 2 ounces for 3 coats on my car. So you might have used too much and that will look like swirls too if you just push the undried Zaino around the car.

Manny
Old 02-17-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

1 oz. of Z2 Pro is more than enough to do 3 full coats on an f-body. If much more than that was used, that could be another problem.

And never use t-shirts on your paint.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZaneO
And never use t-shirts on your paint.