Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Spider Web Cracking-Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spider Web Cracking-Front Bumper

Does anyone else have this problem?

I just finished cleaning it up for it's first time since I received it, VERY NICE CAR!, but unfortunately I found spider web cracking on front bumper on passenger side right before the turn signal and the edge of the fender.

it's a 2002 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

The bumper must have hit something lightly and bounced back to its original shape. That will cause that appearance. If it looks ok leave it alone, otherwise you will need to paint it.

Congrats on the new ride and good luck!!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like that ? My spiderwebbing started a few months after I bought the car, someone must have bumped it right before it was traded in to the dealership
Old 03-06-2006, 11:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah i got that $hit all over my front and rear bumber from bastards in big suv's bumping my parked car. I've witnessed it twice as I was walking back to my car. My paint jobs' almost 13 years old now (original) and it cant take that ****. I'll be getting both bumpers repainted as soon as money allows.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

mine's got it on the front and rear bumper too. Luckily the bumpers are so faded that its the least of my worries
Old 03-07-2006, 12:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

pretty common on lt1 cars, maybe it's just the beggining of the ls1 cars
Old 03-07-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

1 of 2 things, IMO

1. your bumper was hit slightly b4 you purchased it, and dealership buffed out any marks, and now the cracking is coming through from the flex.

2. Your car was in an accident and has been repainted. The spidercracking is now coming through.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:38 AM
Launching!

Ohhh lovely .

I didn't want any paint work to start on this car..guess I'm gonna have to now, that's a big **** off!.

Looks exactly like Luna's except mine is smaller and on the side of the passenger front bumper.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

The same thing happen to me in high school awhile back, I noticed I had some spider cracking when I washed it some time after. Parking was so close that someone may have did it not meaning to. Anyways I had it repainted and you can hardly see it. Ill get some pics up today if I remember.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Launching!

I was told from a few body shops it's just stress cracks. I bought the car from Texas and the dryness there is insane. so maybe that's the case?
Old 03-07-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best part is that if you try wetsanding it down and having it repainted, it'll show up again in a year or so. The only good way to 100% get rid of it is to have the bumper stripped of paint entirely right down to the plastic surface, then repainted... or replace the whole bumper. I opted for replacing the whole bumper, less labor. $106 shipped to my door, I installed it myself, they painted it.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Meissenation- what was wrong with your to begin with? were you bumped or was it just from normal wear and tear (I.e Sun cold...)?
Old 03-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned

My LT1 Formula has it. It's simply the paint becoming brittle over time (heat,sun,winter) and cracking when it's bumped. Repaint from the basecoat up is the only real way to get rid of it. The cracks go down to the basecoat so sanding won't do anything.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Launching!

here's a picture to where it exactly is and what I mean. I don't see any noticeable hits that would of caused it? it must be just from driving the car out in the sun in texas then back in the garage. the car only has 593 miles, plus it's black which attracts heat. what do u think?

Old 03-07-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did something similar by bumping something at A4 rolling idle speed. It cracked the paint up however you can't see any white lines.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car had a very small amount, right at the bottom, show up not long after I got it.

I went to AutoZone and got some Turtle Wax that has red dye in it and also comes with something called a chipstick to help fill in scratches. Now u can't even tell the spider webbing was ever there.

My case was only a very small area (7 inches x 3 inches maybe) but I would be at least give it a shot. The only colors they had when I got this stuff were red and black, but their may be other colors available now too.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KevsLS1
Meissenation- what was wrong with your to begin with? were you bumped or was it just from normal wear and tear (I.e Sun cold...)?
Something bumped each time. My rear bumper has it, but when my ground effects were painted they blended the rear bumper so it's not as noticable as before, and the front bumper the previous owner nosedived into a snowbank to avoid hitting another car.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RollTideTA
My car had a very small amount, right at the bottom, show up not long after I got it.

I went to AutoZone and got some Turtle Wax that has red dye in it and also comes with something called a chipstick to help fill in scratches. Now u can't even tell the spider webbing was ever there.

My case was only a very small area (7 inches x 3 inches maybe) but I would be at least give it a shot. The only colors they had when I got this stuff were red and black, but their may be other colors available now too.
HAHAHA I did just that before I posted the picture that's after the Black Turtle Wax with chipstick picture, it's only noticeable when having direct light and when your loooking REEALLY closely I'm guessing like yours is probably.

what started yours? just normal wear and tear or did you get bumped?

Quick Reply: Spider Web Cracking-Front Bumper