Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Old tint looking baaaad...easy to peel it off and have it redone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old tint looking baaaad...easy to peel it off and have it redone?

Hi all. The tint on my TA is now 7 years old and is looking rough. It has little "chips" in it, is peeling off in spots, etc. Is it possible to peel it off? I haven't tried yet as I wouldn't want to get started and peel off a section only to have it too sticky to remove fully.

How much would you expect a shop to charge to remove the tint on the side and rear window? How much do shops charge nowdays to tint the side and rear window using one piece on the rear?

I'm going to get them to tint it the same percentages I have now because I like it. 20% on the sides and 5% on the t-tops and rear window.

thanks!
Old 03-17-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

http://www.autodetail-school.com/win...t-removal.html
As far as prices.....it depends alot on where you are in the country, I would think all 3 in GA would be around 150. Removing the old tint yourself is a good idea because alot of shops charge hourly to remove the stuff.
Make sure they use llumar or 3m film and there should be some kind of guarantee on the film and their work, mine is lifetime.

Last edited by hondo; 03-17-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

You will want to take the old tine off yourself, shop will charge wat too much to take it off, as for price here Its around 125-150 , depending on the shop
Old 03-17-2006, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

I tried pulling mine off and on my rear hatch I didnt get it all out right cause of the window de-foggers. Ended up costing me more $$$ for the exta time the shop had to spend to get it off
Old 03-17-2006, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

the shop that had to redo mine when i got the ticket charged me 100 total...for taking the old tint off and putting the new stuff on...just go get it priced...lol
Old 03-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the link and tips. I just wanted to get a few opinions on how much I should pay so I'm not having to run all over Athens to the various tint shops and haggle with them on their price. This gives me a bargaining point so I can actually have some idea of what I'm talking about beforehand.

I'm so damn busy with the car between gutting/sound deadening the interior, new exhaust, plugs/wires, tint, work, college, etc that I just don't have as much time as I'd like to get all of this done.

I also want to install this new high mount exhaust on my bike and look into a full fairing kit. Ugh, no time. Oh, plus I need to custom mount this hugger since the one I liked doesn't fit my model bike. lol
Old 03-17-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

too many irons in the fire....i know the feeling

Quick Reply: Old tint looking baaaad...easy to peel it off and have it redone?