Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

!bodykit aftermath

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 01:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !bodykit aftermath

So I finally got around to removing my factory body kit (was faded and in bad shape). Well no one told me there were a billion rivets going directly into the body of the car. So now I'm left with holes everywhere with the ones in the plastic (front/rear bumpers) raised from the drilling out the rivets. If I take it to a body shop will the be able to fix this? I suppose they will have to stand, fill all the holes in then repaint, anyone know what this is going to run me or if they can even do it?
Old 04-02-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

they can do it and it shouldn't cost much unless they are trying to rip you off. nice decision on the !bodykit mod, bodykits look like **** IMO. you could probably fill in the holes yourself and just have them repaint it if there is a price difference. i'm sure all they will use is bondo.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are much better off putting them back on. My friend (who is a body guy) removed his and it was a LOT of work.

The holes in the metal have to be welded, you can't just bondo over a hole. Anyways, there is a lot of body work and then painting to do, get ready to spend some money.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
You are much better off putting them back on. My friend (who is a body guy) removed his and it was a LOT of work.

The holes in the metal have to be welded, you can't just bondo over a hole. Anyways, there is a lot of body work and then painting to do, get ready to spend some money.
durk a dur.... wtf was i thinking lol. ur right. but keep it off body kits are totally homosexual
Old 04-02-2006, 01:54 AM
11 Second Club

Not what I wanted to hear but I really like the it alot better without the bodykit. Can't believe removing something is going to cause me so much trouble.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dmart
Not what I wanted to hear but I really like the it alot better without the bodykit. Can't believe removing something is going to cause me so much trouble.
just resell it to some 16 yr old kit with a v6
Old 04-02-2006, 01:57 AM
11 Second Club

was thinking the same thing
Old 04-02-2006, 03:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
^^^^ why listen to this young kid. 99camarosupersport weren't you born in like 86 , and you like the colts

Dmart seems to me like you shouldnt take advice from someone who rags on 16 yr olds with V6 camaros. At least the 16 yr olds with V6 F-bodies didnt spend their money on japanese POS.
Dude you car is gonna look good with or without the body kit.....it's a Camaro, not a mustang.

99camarosupersport im just messing with you...
Old 04-02-2006, 03:19 AM
Banned

The funny thing is the friend ended up putting ground effects back on the car later (two paint jobs later actually)!
Old 04-02-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should put them back on., its going to cost you alot to have all those holes welded up and it might take a complete paint job to blend it in correctly.... to me all camaros look alot better with ground effects... unless its one of the really weird kits, it looks good.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Do you have access to a welder? You can just back the metal holes with a peice of copper and then spot weld and grind them. And you should beable to get away with using epoxy on the bumpers and fenders. They will charge you up the *** to respray, there is really no good place to cut paint lines so they will have to blend everything.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same issue, although I do kind of like the way my 'appearance package' looks and how it kind of sets me off from other camaros running around I kind of don't want it anymore. I'll wait until I get a paint job until I remove them.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zo6vette037
^^^^ why listen to this young kid. 99camarosupersport weren't you born in like 86 , and you like the colts
99camarosupersport im just messing with you...
lmao yeah i know ur messin, and yes i was born in 86! lmao. but hey i WOULD root for the anchorage eskimos or the alaska tundra, but i'll be damned ps. i bet my local NFL team can beat your local NFL team. hahaha.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Well considering the bodykit itself is pretty messed up (previous owner absolutely smoked a curb) and they are fading faster than the car . Along with some other scratches and cracks, I don't really have a choice. Plus I like my car much more without it.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
durk a dur.... wtf was i thinking lol. ur right. but keep it off body kits are totally homosexual
Just as much as Z06 wheels on a Camaro.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Banned

Well, you are going to pay out the but. You honestly might as well consider spending the extra money and repainting the car. Now is a good time for a color change...

Here's the reason for my above comments; the metal part has to be repainted and that means the door jams have to be repainted (all one piece). That is something a lot of body shops charge a lot of money for.

Can't you just stick some other ground effects on there? I would say that or living with the holes is your only option unless you are cool with tossing a lot of money at it right now.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Well, you are going to pay out the but. You honestly might as well consider spending the extra money and repainting the car. Now is a good time for a color change...

Here's the reason for my above comments; the metal part has to be repainted and that means the door jams have to be repainted (all one piece). That is something a lot of body shops charge a lot of money for.

Can't you just stick some other ground effects on there? I would say that or living with the holes is your only option unless you are cool with tossing a lot of money at it right now.
So your saying it would cost so much that I may as well paint my entire car?! Isn't a good paint job $3500+? Because I'm still in college I just don't have that kind of money. Also won't the holes in the metal rust if I don't do something about it?
Old 04-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dmart
So your saying it would cost so much that I may as well paint my entire car?! Isn't a good paint job $3500+? Because I'm still in college I just don't have that kind of money.
Well, think about it. You HAVE to paint the following pieces (not including blending):

Front Bumper
Both Fenders
Both Door Jams/Rocker panels
POSSIBLY back quarter panel (not sure if the groundeffect connets to it)
Back Bumper

What's left? The hood, roof, hatch and doors.

You have have to have the doors painted for blending anyways (actually that probably goes for the hood as well).

Now of course, this is the professional way of doing it. You might get by fixing some places, leaving others, but if you are trying to get it to look like a factory Camaro then you are painting 60-75% of your car to do so.

Sorry
Old 04-02-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you're in a tough spot. Personally, I like the look of camaros a lot more without the body kit.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't you buy factory replacements for the rear and sides then look at some of the other companies body kits like RK Sport etc. You would only need to buy the front lip if you did that.

Otherwise you could just trade in your current car for a used Z28. The trade-in value with the cost of welding the holes and a new paint job probably wouldn't be that much of a difference......... jj