Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Amber Running lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amber Running lights

I like the look of the amber running lights in my TA but I keep having them loose their color. The amber bulbs I have bought from autozone bake off the amber in like a couple of months. Does anyone know how I can get a set that will look more red or orange like they were new and last. I bought a set from my local dealer to find out when i opened the package that they sold me the same ones I can get at autozone. My next trick I may try is to buy a set of clear bulbs and paint them with high temp paint a combo of orange and red. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

i wouldnt do that with the paint, probably pretty dim. they do have these new chrome illusion (i think they are called) they have a funky greenish color when not lit, but when on they light orange. the mitsubishi eclipse has them now, and the new range rover has them. they look cool, but i dont think that the coating will "bake off"
Old 04-06-2006, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

I have a pair of Phillips chrome/amber lights in my Sonoma. They've been fine for several months now. I've never had an issue with the amber lights in my Camaro and they're just cheap ones that came free with the diamond clear corners I bought from ebay.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Just make sure you get the NA (natural amber) bulbs rather than the A (Amber) bulbs. The NA bulbs like the 3157NA use tinted glass whereas the A bulbs have an amber coating that tends to disappear over time.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Just make sure you get the NA (natural amber) bulbs rather than the A (Amber) bulbs. The NA bulbs like the 3157NA use tinted glass whereas the A bulbs have an amber coating that tends to disappear over time.
+1 tinted glass is what I've been using for years

Quick Reply: Amber Running lights