Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tint your own windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint your own windows

My back hatch tint is nice and dark, but the door windows are a little lighter. I was happy with it when I had it done a couple years ago, but now I want the door windows darker, too. I keep looking at the glass, and it appears to be pretty damn flat. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to do. What do you all think? Would it be hard to do and have no wrinkles, etc... ?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Teching In

I am currently tinting my windows. I bought some static cling window tint by axius first. It turned out ok but it bubbled a little from it being static cling. I am currently doing the final tint on my car now, just have to wait for a nice day

Be in a well lit dust free area and between 40 and 98 degrees farenheit

Items Needed:
Tint application solution
Low Lint Cloth
Razor Knife
Squeege with soft rubber edge

Step One: Clean the exterior window of the side you want to tint with soapy water or applicator solution (no ammonia or or glass cleaner) and dry with a low lint cloth

Step Two: Find the liner side of the tint, the liner side is the side that rubs together smoothly and does not stick to the tint ( take corner and fold to a side of the tint and rub the tint together if it slides that is the liner side if it sticks that is a glue side DO NOT CREASE)

Step Three: Wet the exterior side of the window

Step Four: Roll the film out along the side of the window (liner side out)

Step Five: Trim away any excess tint (do not make final cuts)

Step Six: Level the bottom edge of the tint about 1/4" to 1/2" below window

Step Seven: Spray the outside of the film so that both sides of the tint are wet and use the squeege to get the water off the tint

Step Eight: Cut along the horizontal top part of the window with the razor knife and use the glass as a guide to cut the tint.

Step Nine: Cut the right side of tint by mirror verticaly and then cut the left side of tint by door vertically. Now your tint should be cut to your window.

Step Ten: Use your finger to use as a quide to round out any bad cuts along the curve of the window.

Step Eleven: Clean interior glass with same solution

Step Twelve: Remove the liner on the tint with two peices of transparent tape

Step Thirteen: Spray tint down with applicator solution as you remove the liner.

Step Fourteen: Spray down the glue side of the tint and your inside car window with applicator solution.

Step Fifteen: Align tint with window and make sure there is a little gap from the top of the window and the tint. Do not let the glue touch anything except the window.

Step Sixteen: Spray tint with solution on the outside of tint so you do not cut it or scratch it as you remove the air bubbles from the tint. Place extra tint under gasket for window seal

Step Seventeen: Spray window tint down one more time and wipe away any excess bubbles towards the nearest opening.

Congrats you have installed new tint.

If i missed anything let me know, i dont think i did thou.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I myself wouldnt want to do it if I dont have experience. I have seen alot of my friends try thinking it was easy and doesnt seem that hard, but when they are done it looks like total ***.
I would rather pay to have them done and get a lifetime warranty on it.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sides wouldn't be that hard to do yourself if you take your time and follow the directions. I think you could do it with no problem. Course it will be a learning experience if you know what I mean lol.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

I've tinted windows before. The only problem is if the glass is curvy. I would never even think about attempting the back hatch by myself. But those side windows look pretty flat. I think I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Good Luck, post some before and afters
Old 05-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Launching!

use a heat gun to get the fingers (wrinkles) just heat and flating off over and over agin it shrinks the tint and makes it curve to the window.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by powers84
use a heat gun to get the fingers (wrinkles) just heat and flating off over and over agin it shrinks the tint and makes it curve to the window.
This is key! Even though the side window don't have that much of a curve to them, it is so much easier if you shrink it.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

i've tinted my own always.. its easy

i only paid once.. and that was the first time. the guy came to my house and did it and i watched and it looked so easy.. i've done about 5 tint jobs since.

if u want your windows darker. u could leave the current tint on and just put another layer behind it. i did that once.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tinted my own windows, I always have, I have only gotten my back window of my old 93 Z28 done cause I didn't know how hard it would be but its not that big of a pain. You can never go wrong with 5% tint!

Old 05-02-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

i use the 2.5% "urban tint" from walmart in the purple package. good stuff.

i actually have only tinted side windows that are flat. i've never did a back window yet. i'm about to buy a heat gun though. when i do my firebird..i'm just gonna take the whole hatch off and lay it down flat to tint it.

Quick Reply: Tint your own windows