Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Do you want you car Lowered?
Yes, I want my car slammed!
63.90%
No, I want stock height so I don't bottom out.
36.10%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Someone explain how you drive around in lowered fbody???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Someone explain how you drive around in lowered fbody???

I don't get it. I keep seeing threads where folks are saying "Slam it", "Lower it", "Looks like a 4x4" Where do you guys live anyway?? My car is stock height with factory ground effects and I bottom out at the end of my driveway, speed bumps and sometimes even going into and out of a shopping center parking lots not to mention pot holes. Maybe I'm living in the worng state but here in PA the roads are terrible as they are in New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland for the most part. I only put 2500 miles a year on my car and so I feel I can take a lot more mods than most folks who use their fbody's as daily drivers but I'd like to keep an undercarriage and not destroy my car so I just don't undertsand how you guys who have "slammed" your cars get around?

My buddy just picked up a new C6 and the first time he posts his pictures he gets the same thing on the vette forums. They keep telling him it needs to be lowered. Hell, I can barely get in and out now let alone if it were 1-2" lower. And again the roads here are brutal.

Some people here will the throw the term rice around all over the place but no one seems to think lowering an fbody is rice. On the other hand folks with ground effects even factory ones get that term used about their rides all the time. Why is that?

I've been wondering these things for a while and am just now drinking enough to ask :

Maybe I'm just too old

EDIT: I added a poll so please vote

Last edited by Mike02Z; 05-13-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look better lowered as do many cars. I don't like the appearance package available on Camaros. I need to be a little more careful over speed bumps and leaving driveways at angles but other than that, for the added looks and slight handling improvement, it's worth it. But I don't have to drive on gravel or rally courses, although there was a time driving on Highway 1 out in California (two lane, oceanside) where earthquake damage had moved sections of road up to 5" in height difference that it was a little regrettable. Nonetheless, I'm glad I saw them in time or else my weekend enjoyment could have turned into, "Oh I'm flying off a cliff."
Old 05-12-2006, 09:02 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

LOL how do you think I feel. I'm lowered over 3". With a 3" exhaust, and LTs, I can barely make it anywhere but my driveway.

Shes a real looker though I call it my driveway ornament. Hasn't moved since I installed the suspension in October.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
LOL how do you think I feel. I'm lowered over 3". With a 3" exhaust, and LTs, I can barely make it anywhere but my driveway.

Shes a real looker though I call it my driveway ornament. Hasn't moved since I installed the suspension in October.
WOW! I thought 2" was a lot. At least it will stay new looking forever since ya can't drive it
Old 05-12-2006, 09:17 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
WOW! I thought 2" was a lot. At least it will stay new looking forever since ya can't drive it
Yeah no kidding. 20k miles, then it went full stop.

I figure I'll switch my ornament up every year or so. Some new wheels here and there.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Carefully

Take Speed bumps at an angle and when you pull into a parking space pay attention if there is a curb or one of those concrete humps to divide the spaces. Those will kill the front bumper. Other than that just use common sense
Old 05-12-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or, you could change it back, then not worry about it any more and have fun driving again.

It sounds to me like lowered cars are like a chick with too-tight shoes...Looks great but is a bitch to live with.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I don't get it. I keep seeing threads where folks are saying "Slam it", "Lower it", "Looks like a 4x4" Where do you guys live anyway?? My car is stock height with factory ground effects and I bottom out at the end of my driveway, speed bumps and sometimes even going into and out of a shopping center parking lots not to mention pot holes. Maybe I'm living in the worng state but here in PA the roads are terrible as they are in New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland for the most part. I only put 2500 miles a year on my car and so I feel I can take a lot more mods than most folks who use their fbody's as daily drivers but I'd like to keep an undercarriage and not destroy my car so I just don't undertsand how you guys who have "slammed" your cars get around?

I'm with you, at the most I could go with maybe an inch lower
I have to drive on a gravel road every day (it's the only way to my house) right now its got potholes and a washboard surface due to all the rain we've had.
The streets in town (aside from the main drag) are complete crap, they're brick, and haven't been maintained very well, so there's bricks popped up, missing. Driving thru town is like going on the Paris Dakar rally, so unless I want to ruin my cars suspension, or possibly the undercarriage of my car, It'll stay looking like a 4x4
Old 05-12-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

If you drive it a lot do not go more than 1" or so and it is OK. I am fine unless I have 2 or 3 passengers - then it gets a bit dicey. Other than that it rides as good as it did stock and looks much better.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'd say , everytime I drive , I am worried about smashing my under carriage. I do scrape A LOT , and i mean A LOT. Then again, goin through all that pain does fall under having a badass slammed t/a
Old 05-12-2006, 10:26 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
Or, you could change it back, then not worry about it any more and have fun driving again.

It sounds to me like lowered cars are like a chick with too-tight shoes...Looks great but is a bitch to live with.
Or I could raise it up, because its a coil over setup.

But I'd rather just see it in the driveway slammed on its face.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

My driveway is pretty steep but I can make it up and down at the right angle. At 1st I thought it was a pain but you get use to it and don't even think about it anymore. The only spot I have problem is at the top of the driveway. The exhaust scrapes once the drive levels off but it isn't much and I can live with it
Old 05-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I scrape bad stock hight, mmm, I gotta lower my ****.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's all in the angle. My suspension sags as it is because it's original 94, my car sits lower than other Camaros, then add the bodykit to it and it looks quite lowered. It's all about taking it at just the right angle. If it's REALLY sharp, I angle it so that my tire (while turned out towards the driveway) will drive up the driveway first, that's my hint. Bigger the angle the better.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

it handles better looks better and the body kits are for *******. but what you need to do is get the 68 firebird convert from retro rides. its bad ***
Old 05-12-2006, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

or you could get air suspension
Old 05-12-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i went with the Pro-Kit and the roads around me is **** and i have to drive about 3 miles on a gravel road (which i never go over about 5-10 MPH on it anyways) but i wouldn't have mine any other way....ALSO some car wash booths dips down in the middle so the sides are higher so the water will go to the middle where it drans and one day without thinking i drove up on it and went to go in and i got stuck on my headers....it didn't do any damage but lets just say im more carefull now...
Old 05-12-2006, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

im glad my car isnt lowered, wheels fit nicely in the fender wells and i dont have to drive like there is a cork shoved up my ***, plus my car rides nicely, driving it 20,000 miles a year i dont want loud exhaust, or a choppy ride and i dont want to have to worry about scraping anytime i drive it. so it has stock muffler and stock springs on it and its going to stay that way. if you dont like it go look at your garage queen
Old 05-12-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i just find another way around a to steep angle. if i cant then i'm driving sidways back and forth until i make it. i've almost perfected the loopy sling back that *** into the drive way with the camaro now, i'll only scrap once in a while when i'm in a rush. but it's worth it lol
Old 05-12-2006, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

at this point i dont care if i hit my under carriege. i only care i dont make a hole on my qtp's!! before i had some crap struts and shocks on my pro kit and it hit everywhere!! now i have bilstein hd's with heater hose mod and its stiffer and hardly ever hits im happy with my setup and how it looks. good thing i had custom fit my TSP duals cause before they hit 99% of the time driving. lol

Quick Reply: Someone explain how you drive around in lowered fbody???