Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Afterthoughts Auto alternators

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Afterthoughts Auto alternators

I finally found somewhere that sold a direct replacement alternator for our cars. Does anyone know if they are sold anywhere else? I wanted to get one in chrome like Steve's on his 69SS Camaro. If not, can these units be taken apart so that I could buy a plain model and then have it chromed somewhere else?

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The alternators sold by Afterthoughts Auto are from Mr. Alternator. I have the 160A Hi Output version with the 'Chrome-Like' powdercoating.

It is obviously not the same as actual chrome - but my thoughts were why bother with chroming an alternator that sets at the complete bottom of the engine bay and is barley ever seen even when trying hard to look for it?

BTW, I am a huge supporter for chrome and polished items - just didn't see any need to chrome an item that is never seen. Unless of course you are planning on attending indoor shows with mirrors to display the underneath of the car...
Old 05-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned

^^^ I'm going to have true polished/chromed alternators for the Corvette crowd who's alternators are right on top of the engine bay.

My whole engine bay is polished on my Firehawk but I havn't touched the alternator because nobody can see it. I didn't see the point on an F-body eigther.

My website is being created now, but I'm getting married next month and I'm really too busy to give the attention customers deserve so I'm not going to launch this deal 'till I return from my honeymoon next month.

See ya then!!! ~Joshua
Old 05-14-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a big fat turbo sitting right where the alt. used to go. It is on top of the motor now. Firehawk. Can you hook me up man? I need chrome, not polished.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SStolen
Firehawk. Can you hook me up man? I need chrome, not polished.

Sure thing. The vendor who is going to do all my carbon fiber is sending me a couple Corvette brackets and a dead alternator when he gets back from his business trip this week.

I'm going to price it out when I see what's involved. Brackets are no problem. He said though that the alternator is a "box" style and it will be harder to take apart than the earlier styles...

I don't know. I'll have to see. He said there are very few sources on chrome/polished LSx alternators and the ones done right are extremely expensive.

I'm not about gouging, I'm about selling quality stuff for a markup that let's me pay the bills.

I'll be in touch. ~Joshua

Quick Reply: Afterthoughts Auto alternators