Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

MAACO Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAACO Paint Job

Well I noticed some controversy on whether or not Maaco is worth going to or not, so I figured I would share my experience.

First off, I spent 2 days prepping the car with a couple friends. I was very picky about the prep work and I feel that part came out excellent.

I then brought the car to Maaco for a base coat/clear coat paintjob, which after bargaining with them because I did the prep work cost me $800. They also went over the car as well and got any spots I might have missed or didnt think about.

The car got painted today and I went to see it after it was baked and it was still sitting in the booth away from anything, where it will be until tomorrow. I snapped some photos with my camera phone which I have attached. I will take some pictures with my digital camera once I get it back and together and it is nice out.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the result. There are a few things in the paint that will be wetsanded and buffed out, but I was going to do that to the whole car anyways(there is 3 coats of clear so that is OK to do).

One last thing. Many of the Maacos are franchised, and some of them are privately owned. The one near me happens to be privately owned and I spent a lot of time talking to the owner about what was being done to the car and looked at some of their other work to make sure it was going to come out ok.
Attached Thumbnails MAACO Paint Job-picture037.jpg   MAACO Paint Job-picture038.jpg  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What color is that?
Old 05-15-2006, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Black
Old 05-15-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

they may have done a good paint job and such, but since it's a franchised business, they're still using MACCO paint, which won't last very long.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would rather have my sister work in a ***** house than go to macco.

lets see? i think i'll just leave the headlights in while i paint it
lets see? i think i'll just leave the bumper on while i paint it
lets see? i think i'll just leave everything on while i paint it
that **** will be fading and pealing before a cat can lick his ***.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 05-15-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Sk8runeg
Well I noticed some controversy on whether or not Maaco is worth going to or not, so I figured I would share my experience.

First off, I spent 2 days prepping the car with a couple friends. I was very picky about the prep work and I feel that part came out excellent.

I then brought the car to Maaco for a base coat/clear coat paintjob, which after bargaining with them because I did the prep work cost me $800. They also went over the car as well and got any spots I might have missed or didnt think about.

The car got painted today and I went to see it after it was baked and it was still sitting in the booth away from anything, where it will be until tomorrow. I snapped some photos with my camera phone which I have attached. I will take some pictures with my digital camera once I get it back and together and it is nice out.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the result. There are a few things in the paint that will be wetsanded and buffed out, but I was going to do that to the whole car anyways(there is 3 coats of clear so that is OK to do).

One last thing. Many of the Maacos are franchised, and some of them are privately owned. The one near me happens to be privately owned and I spent a lot of time talking to the owner about what was being done to the car and looked at some of their other work to make sure it was going to come out ok.
HI THERE....hope it turns out good...Probably will...not all places are no-good...you did prep...800 is not all that much,so don't expect show quality,which I am sure you weren't...I talked to a MAACO painter lately[3 weeks ago]and he said he just got laid off at a bodyshop and was VERY HAPPY to be painting there.[had painted for 7 years]..so not all of them are downers... G'LUCK....
Old 05-15-2006, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

First and foremost, i removed the headlight covers and wing to have the car painted, take a closer look at the pic.

Secondly, Maacos get their paint from the same people that the local bodyshops do, and they use DuPont ChromaBase paint, which last I checked was arespectable brand in paints. AND, I prepped the whole car, which is the main reason for Maaco paintjobs to peel.

Lastly, NOT ALL Maacos are franshised, and the one near me happens to be privately owned. Therefore, they put a little bit more into satisfying their customers than the franshised ones do who want to do the most cars a day.

So please read a little more carefully EDawg next time, but thanks for the input!
Old 05-15-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EDawg
i would rather have my sister work in a ***** house than go to macco.

lets see? i think i'll just leave the headlights in while i paint it
lets see? i think i'll just leave the bumper on while i paint it
lets see? i think i'll just leave everything on while i paint it
that **** will be fading and pealing before a cat can lick his ***.
well, that was uncalled for...
Old 05-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

so i am guessing they would be ok for the ceta mod to?????
Old 05-15-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like you got a good deal man, wish I lived nearby, would have liked to see it up close.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sdm1234
well, that was uncalled for...

sorry! i guess i should have controled my self. i just don't like macco and there half assed products and service.

after sanded and buffed it will look ok for a while.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

Understandable. I definitely need to get the car wetsanded and buffed though. But all in all, it comes back to the old saying, 90% of a good paint job is good prep work, and I hate to be cocky or anything, but the prep we did on the car was perfect. It doesnt take much to spray a car with paint, I would have done it myself had I had a place to do it. But I am definitely impressed with the result, it definitely came out better than I had expected. I'll keep you updated with pics.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why do others have to be so critical of what some people do? I personally hope your paint turns out great! It looks like you did the research, and the homework, so hopefully, your results will be better than most. As far as they rest of the nay-sayers, why so harsh? Its not your car, its not your money, and its not your decision. Let the man do what he wants. And the bottom line is most of the guys who work at macco could get better results than myself and most others on this board.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you have it sanded and buffed ask around. who is the best? thats who you want! the truth is 90% of a paint job is the detailer! if it were mine i would have it sanded with 1000 then 1500 then 2000 then 2500. after ruff cut and glazing it will show how well the prep work and paint work really is. if done right it will look like glass and will cost $300 or so.

good luck!
Old 05-15-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks pretty good. Just make sure you are happy with it before you take it home.
But I can tell you personally that from past personal experience after a couple months I had pieces of paint fall off from the fenders.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

well its got a 5 year warranty so I'm not too worried
Old 05-15-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

hyundai's have a 10 year warranty.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, im impressed

Last edited by camaroextra; 05-15-2006 at 09:39 PM. Reason: im a dick
Old 05-15-2006, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I was very impressed, but it definitely needs to be wetsanded and buffed like I said earlier, I'll post some pics when I piok it up though.

Quick Reply: MAACO Paint Job