Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Does the bolt-on SATIN BLACK ZL1 hood scoop look good?
Heck yeah! Very retro cool!!!!
56.25%
Heck no! Very rice!!!!
43.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on SATIN/LOW GLOSS BLACK ZL1 hood scoop... POLL

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 03:11 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thoughts on SATIN/LOW GLOSS BLACK ZL1 hood scoop... POLL

Well, I am already in the process of doing this but since I am away for the weekend I figured I would get some opinions...

It all started when I couldn't decide which hood to buy for my car, the ZL1 hood or the Sunoco hood.

One day stuck in traffic on the 405, contemplating my choices, I keep admiring a Dodge Daytona addition truck in front of me (satin black spoiler and graphics), and notice a Mustang GT behind me... and two ideas merged...

I knew you could buy JUST THE SCOOP from the ZL1 hood but never cared because after you spend the money having it blended onto your hood you spent the same money as if you would have just bought the ZL1 hood but it's not fiberglass and is heavier...

Then I thought about how the Mustang GT's scoops were just bolted on, not even functional AND how awesome I think it is to see newer vehicles (like the truck) with SATIN BLACK muscle car mixed in...

SO, I began contemplating buying the ZL1 scoop, painting it satin black and bolting it on BUT I thought it still seemed a little un-muscle car like...

UNTILL, I realize a crap load of muscle cars back in the day AND today just had/have scoops bolted onto their hoods...

Ok, that was more Mustangs than anything else but that's because those are the only cars I could remember at 4:00am in Pennsylvania right now...

ANYWAYS, the last car I saw on "Wrecks to Riches" and I SAW that the scoop was bolted on to a flat hood...

SO, I decided I'll give it a shot...

Step 1) Buy the ZL1 hood scoop, have it smoothed and sprayed satin black.

Step 2) Bolt it to my stock hood.

Step 3) Decide where to go next...

THEN if I like it I would buy the real ZL1 hood, if I don't I'll get the Sunoco, but EITHER WAY my stock hood should now be worth something to someone w/scoop so it won't be a waste...

BUT now, I am REALLY starting to like the idea of the satin scoop bolted on old school style (it also matches my Berger panel) and am considering making it permanent...

If it is permanent I WILL FIND A WAY TO MAKE THE SCOOP FUNCTIONAL.... so PLEASE DON'T VOTE BASED ON FUNCTIONALITY!!!

Here's some CRAPPY pics I snapped really quick in the parking garage (I actually had to lighten them as well)just setting the scoop on there:

Here's what it looks like now (basically, the bumper is off for paint as you could see above):

So picture the above with a nice finished scoop...

I want the car to have an old school feel hence the retro emblems, and SATIN finish scoop idea and BERGER panel.

SO, how many people think the scoop is a cool idea, drawing heritage from older muscle cars and how many people think it's just a gay idea all around?

Don't hold back guys, if you love it or hate it let me hear it BUT PLEASE VOTE BASED ON APPEARANCE NOT FUNCTIONALITY AT THIS POINT!!!!

THANKS !

UPDATED PICS IN POST BELOW, LOOK BELOW BEFORE YOU VOTE!!!!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=17

Last edited by 6LITEREATER; 05-24-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would need better pics, too dark to tell. theoretically it sounds good
Old 05-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Launching!

i think it sounds neat! i've always loved satin black accents on muscle cars and i've only really seen one other car with a scoop painted like that. buddy of mine had the ss scoop and berger painted on his pewter car and it looks really cool. i say that if you think you can get the zl1 scoop bolted to the hood without looking ratty, it should look really neat when you paint it! try it, if you hate it, didn't you want a new hood anyway?
Old 05-19-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see some finished pics. Its a good way to save some cash thats for sure!
Old 05-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
I'd like to see some finished pics. Its a good way to save some cash thats for sure!
Yeah hopefully it will look tasteful... then I can put the money into my next project where it belongs:

Vig. 3500 stall
Futral F13
Ported LS6 Heads

Old 05-19-2006, 02:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds good to me, definately different
Old 05-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nhra-trans-am
sounds good to me, definately different
That's why I liked the idea when I threw the scoop on the hood... different in a GOOD way though !
Old 05-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Launching!

sounds good! what lowering springs do you have?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

no, do not put that scoop on your hood, your car is gorgeous as it sits, and it just like thrown on crap. sorry but its what it looks like

if you want to get a hood get the sonoco hood. then paint the scoop a matte black.

just my .02 is that i dont think you could get across an "old school" feel with those Z06 rims. but it would look good with the sonoco hood on that car
Old 05-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WayFast84
sounds good! what lowering springs do you have?
Pro-Kits on front, heater hose mod on back !
Old 05-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cop Car
no, do not put that scoop on your hood, your car is gorgeous as it sits, and it just like thrown on crap. sorry but its what it looks like

if you want to get a hood get the sonoco hood. then paint the scoop a matte black.

just my .02 is that i dont think you could get across an "old school" feel with those Z06 rims. but it would look good with the sonoco hood on that car
Thanks for the compliment (gorgeous)!

If I did not do the ZL1 hood I was going to do the Sunoco with Satin black on the side of the cowl...

About the Z06 rims, I am just trying to mix all generations I guess. Anyways, some of the Berger cars had Z06 rims with satin black trim (panel, scoop insert, etc...)

I guess I am just going for my version of the ZL1 here:

http://www.camaroz28.com/articles/2002zl1/index.shtml
Old 05-21-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cop Car

Second this thought
Old 05-22-2006, 04:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

after thinkin about it, a bolt on scoop will look out of place i think, have u got better pics yet?
Old 05-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1SicV8
after thinkin about it, a bolt on scoop will look out of place i think, have u got better pics yet?

It's going to look good, I can already visualize it...

Still in PA right now, lots of car work to do when I get back !
Old 05-22-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i can see it, it should look ok

ive never seen a bolt on hood on a 4th gen though, but its def original and should be nice
Old 05-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1SicV8
i can see it, it should look ok

ive never seen a bolt on hood on a 4th gen though, but its def original and should be nice
Yeah, my main concern was definetly the bolt-on aspect, just seemed cheap to me.

Then when I saw the big 3 doing it, performance shops I respected doing it, I figured I'd try it...

Then when I just sat the unfinished scoop on there I was like, "OMG, that is AWESOME!!!"

It just automatically turned the car in to a monster... now if I can just execute it well all should be great !

Two days to go...
Old 05-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Banned

Alrighty! We got home last night, I got my bumper this morning and bolted it back on. I am still waiting on the mail to come with my turn signals (clear with black housing) so i can put them and my Halos on.

In the meantime I pulled her out into the sunlight for some pics with the scoop.

REMEMBER, the scoop is RIGHT OUT OF THE MOLD, completely unfinished but it should give you an idea of what it will look like painted satin black and bolted on there:

Opinions?

Last edited by 6LITEREATER; 05-24-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Looks cool from the side, too big IMO though, and it would need to get molded in order to not look like a 3M taped on scoop. Honestly, I think your car was perfect in the first full pic you posted of it in its previous condition, I wouldn't have messed with it.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

too big (wide). sunoco woul;d be cool. need to get up some pics of that.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Teching In

where did you get that scoop and is it bolt on with pre-existing holes or do you have to drill the holes yourself? I have put on the mustang scoop before and makes the car look 10x better and more aggressive, and it has stayed flush with the hood.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on SATIN/LOW GLOSS BLACK ZL1 hood scoop... POLL