Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PC Scratch Removal and Products......confused!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC Scratch Removal and Products......confused!

I've been doing my homework on scratch removal on the site but I just had a few more questions before I get my PC and products.

1. My car has alot of swirl marks, but also has scratchs from a dog as well. I'm guessing I need the most agressive/PC user friendly sratch remover for my first step. What do you suggest?? I see so many types, but I'm not sure.

2. Do you usually do an agressive remover, less agressive remover, then a polish before wax?

3. I see the PC is offered with different product packages on Autogeek, ie Poorboys, Pinnacle ect. im wondering if i should go with those...or just buy my products individually?

4. I see the descriptions of all the colored pads....which ones do I really need?
Old 05-19-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

1) If the scratches are down to bare metal, no amount of polishing will fix that. The only thing to do in those situations is either re-paint the panel (if the scratches are large) or use touch up paint (if the scratches are small). The general rule is, if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, polish won't help.

2) Yes, go from most aggressive to least aggressive. I typically go from "aggressive" (Menzerna Intensive Polish) to "high gloss" (Menzerna Final Polish 2) to "filler" (Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze) to "sealant" (Blackfire, Zaino or Menzerna FMJ).

3) It really depends on what products you want to try.

I'm a big fan of this kit: http://www.properautocare.com/menpolandpad.html

That kit, along with a Porter Cable 7424/7336, some good microfiber towels, and a wax/sealant of your choice, and you're set. You might be able to get a better deal by getting all the stuff individually, but I doubt it.

4) See the above kit. I have a yellow pad. I've used it twice. I have a black bad that I use for glazes, but it's not necessary. I wear out orange and white pads faster than anything else because they flat out work.

-Mike
Old 05-19-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

I'm with him ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Couldn't have said it better myself. That's exactly what I use other than the Sealant - which I use Formula 113. And I have a Black T/A with no swirl marks.

-Jay-
Old 05-19-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not to hijack the thread, but is Z6 a filler? I was going to replace your "glaze" step with Z6 and then Z2 pro to seal it.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm going to try the Menzerna line like you suggested. Is it smart to do the whole car with the intensive polish, or just the really bad areas? Thanks for the help!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

If you've never done it before, do the whole car with Intensive Polish, then Final Polish 2. After that, I typically use Intensive Polish as a problem solver.

-Mike

Last edited by chupr0kabra; 05-19-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Trojan35
not to hijack the thread, but is Z6 a filler? I was going to replace your "glaze" step with Z6 and then Z2 pro to seal it.
Z6 is more of a quick detailer. When I use Zaino, I skip the glaze step and use Z5 in its place. Z5 has some nice fillers and can help mask imperfections and add depth. I use Z6 between coats of Z5 or Z2, then again as a post wash quick detailing spray.

-Mike
Old 05-20-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Z6 is more of a quick detailer. When I use Zaino, I skip the glaze step and use Z5 in its place. Z5 has some nice fillers and can help mask imperfections and add depth. I use Z6 between coats of Z5 or Z2, then again as a post wash quick detailing spray.

-Mike

Good to know, thanks.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know what Meguire's steps are equivalent to the Menzerna ones?
Intensive Polish = ?
Final Polish II = ?
Finishing Glaze = Show Car Glaze
FMJ = High-Tech Yellow Wax
Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Meguiars makes a swirl remover, a dual action cleaner/polish, and they have their Scratch-X product, but I don't have any experience with these, so I'm not sure how they would compare.

-Mike
Old 05-22-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

When I started mine, i emailed Meguiars to get their equivalents to different polishes and compounds so I could get them locally. They recommend the Deep Paint Cleaner, and their NXT wax. My car was less than 4 yrs old but had some deep scratches and swirls. The Deep paint cleaner was useless and I find the NXT wax doesn't seem to last. If there is serious work to be done on your finish, skip the meguiars and get to 3M or Menzerna. After about 30 hrs, I have most of the scratches and swirls gone. The only ones left are the ones you can only see in direct sunlight, which makes it really hard to find them in the garage lights.

Quick Reply: PC Scratch Removal and Products......confused!