Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting Roof Replaced by GM

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting Roof Replaced by GM

My roof was bubbling like many others have experienced. Went through the process of calling GM customer service, going to dealership to get them to deem it defective, getting the are reps approval. Stopped at the dealership today and they said they recieved the approval to order a new roof for it and it should be in next week sometime. Took 4 weeks of calling and waiting to get the part ordered. Who knows when I will get into the body shop for them to paint and replace the roof. Im hoping I can have the car fixed with the new roof in the next couple weeks. And the best part AT NO COST TO ME!

Old 05-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Launching!

What dealership is doing the work?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Champion Chevrolet on HWY 6 and Beechnut
Old 05-19-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you original owner? Still under warranty? Just want to see if I can get the same done for mine. I've got some bubbles, but I'm a 2nd owner and out of warranty.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im the original owner and long out of warranty. 62000 miles on the car also. This is a known problem, although I do not know how it works if your not the original owner.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wow. mine girlfriends has 69,000. i'll have to look into that. thanks
Old 05-19-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

are you guys referring to this? i'd like to get in on this...

Old 05-20-2006, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats exactly the process I went thru when GM fixed mine. The dealership outsourced it to a local body shop as no dealership in my are had a bodyshop in it. The body shop put the roof panel on a tad too far back which left a little gap between the T tops and the roof panel. When I got home and tried to wash the car water poured in both sides of the car and collected in puddles down by the floor mats. I was pissed! Anyway they redid it. Luckily there was an 02 CE TA at their shop when they redid it. They used that car to visually line my roof up like it. No complaints now. There's a few things I don't like about what they did but it looks a million times better then it did, and it cost me $0.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Thats exactly the process I went thru when GM fixed mine. The dealership outsourced it to a local body shop as no dealership in my are had a bodyshop in it. The body shop put the roof panel on a tad too far back which left a little gap between the T tops and the roof panel. When I got home and tried to wash the car water poured in both sides of the car and collected in puddles down by the floor mats. I was pissed! Anyway they redid it. Luckily there was an 02 CE TA at their shop when they redid it. They used that car to visually line my roof up like it. No complaints now. There's a few things I don't like about what they did but it looks a million times better then it did, and it cost me $0.

OK,OK, OK!!! Man, I'm in Elkridge, Hanover area. What dealer did you use and how did you go about getting them to fix it. PM or email me PLEASE!!

Thanks
Bryan
Old 05-21-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure hope this corrects your problem permenantly.

Not to burst anyone's bubble (so to speak) but if you read the long thread here about this issue you'll notice that apparently even when GM is fixing these they are using a similar process as was done originally and your bubbling paint MAY come back in 2-3 years. Seems to be somewhat related to how long your car sits in the sun on a regular basis. The glues that GM is using are outgassing and bubbling the paint near the surface. I had a "patch" job done on mine by a local body/paint shop 2+ years ago since I had no warranty. My car is garage kept and so far my bubbles have not come back although I'm almost certain they will eventually as my repair was not the full rip off and replace that GM is doing for customers.

I'd still get it fixed especially if they are covering it under warranty but just keep a close eye on it after and at the first sign of trouble I'd go back to the dealer screaming.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car was outsourced to a local bodyshop cause the dealer didn't have one. The bodyshop that did the work said their work is gaurenteed for life thru them, not GM. Besides, if it's fixed correctly there shouldn't be any more problems. I never see any 93-97's with this problem. (they been in the sun even longer)
Old 05-21-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I sure hope this corrects your problem permenantly.

Not to burst anyone's bubble (so to speak) but if you read the long thread here about this issue you'll notice that apparently even when GM is fixing these they are using a similar process as was done originally and your bubbling paint MAY come back in 2-3 years. Seems to be somewhat related to how long your car sits in the sun on a regular basis. The glues that GM is using are outgassing and bubbling the paint near the surface. I had a "patch" job done on mine by a local body/paint shop 2+ years ago since I had no warranty. My car is garage kept and so far my bubbles have not come back although I'm almost certain they will eventually as my repair was not the full rip off and replace that GM is doing for customers.

I'd still get it fixed especially if they are covering it under warranty but just keep a close eye on it after and at the first sign of trouble I'd go back to the dealer screaming.
The dealer fixing my car and the TSB both mentioned the adhesive they used to attach the panel was no good and did not fully cure and wont. The ONLY way to fix this problem is by removing the panel and cleaning the old adhesive off and using the new adhesive and a new roof panel. Simply sanding the old panel down / patch job and repainting the old panel will not work.

Dealer knew about the problem and how to fix it, they even mentioned the patch job method will not work for this repair.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00NBMCamaro
The dealer fixing my car and the TSB both mentioned the adhesive they used to attach the panel was no good and did not fully cure and wont. The ONLY way to fix this problem is by removing the panel and cleaning the old adhesive off and using the new adhesive and a new roof panel. Simply sanding the old panel down / patch job and repainting the old panel will not work.

Dealer knew about the problem and how to fix it, they even mentioned the patch job method will not work for this repair.
All I said was that if you go back and read the original thread you will see that some people had the problem come back even after GM supposedly fixed it. Read this thread...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=Roof

I'm sure my problem will return someday but my car had no warranty and I was having paint work done anyway so it was worth it to have mine patched even though it will only be temporary.

I never see any 93-97's with this problem. (they been in the sun even longer)
Different model, different proceedure was used on the sail panel I believe. I had a 94 Z and it did not have this issue. It's only the 98-02's that did.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone have an approximation of what a body shop would charge to fix that permanently?
Old 05-21-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by andypdbz
anyone have an approximation of what a body shop would charge to fix that permanently?
I read in that other thread that the part alone was 550. I also read that one guy was charged 934 total.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
My car was outsourced to a local bodyshop cause the dealer didn't have one. The bodyshop that did the work said their work is gaurenteed for life thru them, not GM. Besides, if it's fixed correctly there shouldn't be any more problems. I never see any 93-97's with this problem. (they been in the sun even longer)
At the time when I was doing the replacements they were covered under corrosion, corrosion is covered from six years from the "original" purchase.
The GM service bulletin suggested replacement method uses the same materials and adhesive as the originals. The roof cap is still made from the same SMC like the doors and rear hatch, they still use urithane to install them as original. The only difference is the Urithane adhesive has the primer mixed in the adhesive itself, the older adhesive used a seperate primer to aid in adheision. A body shop will warrenty there installation and finish but they will not warrenty the SMC that the roof is constructed from, that is on GM. And since a GM certified facility did not document the replacement then I wouldnt count on them taking care of you on any future issues. Since they did outsource you then it will probably be documented, just to protect yourself I would keep any paperwork or documentation from the repair.

As for sanding, priming, and refinishing, dont waist your time, it is a temporary patch.