Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Painting Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Calipers

Im planning on doing my break calipers on my 99 Firebird this weekend. its a black car and i wanted to add the red calipers. i have the paint and cleaner and im ready to go at it but i wanted to kno the best and easiest way to go about it. Is it hard to mask off the area around the caliper and wats the best method for the paint?! any and all suggestions welcome!! thanks
Old 05-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

I always left them on the car. I used a plastic bag or garbage bag to cover the rotor and tucked it all around the caliper to cover everything up. I then ripped some garbage bags open and covered the area behind and over the fender so I didn't get overspray on anything. For me it was a lot easier to do that then to take the caliper off and have to go through bleading you breaks and all that stuff. You could probably get a lot better look taking them off but nobody could tell the difference with mine.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

sounds good thanks alot!! ill leave them on, taking them off is way too much work!! thanks for the input..... anybody have any on brush paint or spray?? i have both
Old 05-25-2006, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C-Lo34
sounds good thanks alot!! ill leave them on, taking them off is way too much work!! thanks for the input..... anybody have any on brush paint or spray?? i have both
(2) bolts is too much work??

Just take the entire caliper off & sit it on a block so you don't have to disconnect the brake line. NO bleeding involved.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Ya,WOW....2 bolts is a lot of work tho LOL...and a whole 2 more for the brackets....taking them off makes a nicer job....dont just paint "what you can see" thats half ***......but as it is being WAY too much work to take them off,maybe you should.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

ya bleeding the breaks is too much work. sitting them on blocks is a good idea tho, didnt need the ****** rainbow, but thanks for the idea
Old 05-25-2006, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C-Lo34
ya bleeding the breaks is too much work. sitting them on blocks is a good idea tho, didnt need the ****** rainbow, but thanks for the idea
Well the hidden point is if your gonna mod your car in appearance or any other way you need to be prepared to do the work involved or do it half assed & it look like ***.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

ya i got the point, ive seen alot of threads and how to on caliper painting, and some take them off and bleed the breaks, some leave them on, some use brush paint, some use spray... i was just asking the best way to do it....... believe me i dont mod my car half assed, i wouldnt do it if i thought the job would be done half assed
Old 05-25-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

autozone has brake caliper painting kits...they come with cleaner and paint , the paint is the brush on kind , also says the paint is ceramic or something....anywho is this stuff any good or should i just get high temp engine spray paint?
i plan on doing mine this weekend, the center caliper gloss black and the ring around it silver
Old 05-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

I bought the kit from autozone, because it does come with the cleaner, and i read that if u use brush paint to get the small areas and then use spray paint to get a nice smooth surface... so i bought both the spray and kit.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Launching!

I used autozones dupli-color kit.....I took of the caliper and bracket...you dont have to bleed the brakes just because you unbolt the caliper,leave the lines hooked up and basicly sit on the ground and paint them in the wheel weel.

Silver/black.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i guess i'll go with the autozone kit then spray on some clear
Old 05-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Launching!

You dont need clear....I guess you could spray some on tho,if you wanted.

Quick Reply: Painting Calipers